C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this engine work in my 79 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you're willing to do the required work to make it fit (muuuuch easier than a Ford's), LS-like engine can be built on the cheap.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Edelbrock sells a top end kit. Heads, cam, intake and carb. Its been a while since Ive priced them out, but I want to say they were in the 2K range. This package should take your car into the 350-400 hp range.

I know Im restating what everyone else here is saying, but the Ford engine is just a BAD idea. It will take TONS of work to bolt in, Im talking like you are going to need a degree in mechanical engineering and the salary to match. They could give you the engine for free and you are still going to loose in the long run.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 PM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A loved one should take your car from you until your head clears.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk how much it will cost. But I think I want to do something similar to lukyn. Any ideas?? Also would I be able to have my normal hood or need a new one?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by FlippinCorvette
Idk how much it will cost. But I think I want to do something similar to lukyn. Any ideas?? Also would I be able to have my normal hood or need a new one?
Flip- Im going to say this once. DO NOT even consider this Ford swap for another minute. Just STOP IT. Its not going to work. By the time you chop, cut, weld, weld, weld, fabricate, weld, chop, modify and butcher, you are going to be two years into this job. For 1-2 grand, you can buy, build or modify a SBC to push equal or better than that Ford motor. Im not ******** on Fords, they make good engines. However, you are barking up the wrong tree. Either modify your 350 or buy a Mustang.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:01 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

I actually really like this idea.
Originally Posted by Scottd
Flip- Im going to say this once. DO NOT even consider this Ford swap for another minute. Just STOP IT. Its not going to work. By the time you chop, cut, weld, weld, weld, fabricate, weld, chop, modify and butcher, you are going to be two years into this job. For 1-2 grand, you can buy, build or modify a SBC to push equal or better than that Ford motor. Im not ******** on Fords, they make good engines. However, you are barking up the wrong tree. Either modify your 350 or buy a Mustang.
Bro... The idea I just now said I liked was modifying my engine... And then your very next comment said to do that.... I know your just helping man. Thanks I appreciate everyone's comments.

Last edited by FlippinCorvette; 11-19-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

if you use a elderbrock performer intake on a sbc ,you can retain your stock hood .you could use your block ,and buy a 383/396 sbc rotating assembly .or find a 383 long block that has the right stuff .do you have a good engine machine shop close by ?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by garygnu
if you use a elderbrock performer intake on a sbc ,you can retain your stock hood .you could use your block ,and buy a 383/396 sbc rotating assembly .or find a 383 long block that has the right stuff .do you have a good engine machine shop close by ?
I have one about an hour and a half away.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

the r.p.m air gap intake goes under the stock hood with a dropped base air cleaner, its no problem.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:47 PM
lukyn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The edelbrock kit 2098 was $1800 from Pace Performace. It had everything you need except a carb. Intake, cam, heads, timing set, lifters and gaskets. You need to also supply your own pushrods and lifters. The intake is 3/4" taller so a drop base ac would be needed with the stock hood. I run a hood scoop.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

C3s are a little heavyish imo..you can build up a 350 to run good (ive almost always been disappointed with a head/cam swap) but if youre on limited funds Id grab that $3700 427 in the parts section that is a great value! The torque is too much fun!
Great bang for the buck imo.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM
daustin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
C3s are a little heavyish imo..you can build up a 350 to run good (ive almost always been disappointed with a head/cam swap) but if youre on limited funds Id grab that $3700 427 in the parts section that is a great value! The torque is too much fun!
Great bang for the buck imo.
I'd consider a set of Vortec heads, edelbrock intake and new cam. The heads will raise the compression and flow much better, intake & cam would help also. Bang for the buck is not bad with that combo.
Don
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
I'm not sure what your budget is, but it sounds like it's only $200-$300 dollars. If that is the case, you probably shouldn't be trying for an engine swap at this time.

Pull your L-48, install some better pistons (up the compression a bit. 10:1 or so), a set of aluminum heads and complimentary cam, a better intake manifold and some headers. You'll be in the 375hp-400hp (gross) range very easily.

I tell ya, for 2K you can really build a nice 400hp car with that stock engine.

Troll Craigslist, Ebay, and don't forget Skip White for some really good parts.

Summit and Jegs are always having sales, etc.

I would suggest a 383 with Vortec heads an Edelbrock RPM manifold, headers, a new cam and a Holley. Easily can be done for less than 2k.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by daustin
I'd consider a set of Vortec heads, edelbrock intake and new cam. The heads will raise the compression and flow much better, intake & cam would help also. Bang for the buck is not bad with that combo.
Don
Vortecs make good power, but this is what I learned when I did a Vortec conversion on a 350 a while back.....
Vortecs cant run much of a cam without either machine work or swapping out valve springs. By the time you are done with all that, you are only saving 2-3 hundred dollars less than buying a set of new, aluminum aftermarket heads. This was my experience.

Hey Flip, sorry for bugging out on you earlier. I guess I didnt read your post well enough.

Im still casting my vote towards the Edelbrock package or buying a used performance engine from the classifieds.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:07 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scottd
Vortecs make good power, but this is what I learned when I did a Vortec conversion on a 350 a while back.....
Vortecs cant run much of a cam without either machine work or swapping out valve springs. By the time you are done with all that, you are only saving 2-3 hundred dollars less than buying a set of new, aluminum aftermarket heads. This was my experience.

Hey Flip, sorry for bugging out on you earlier. I guess I didnt read your post well enough.

Im still casting my vote towards the Edelbrock package or buying a used performance engine from the classifieds.
I like the edelbrock package idea
Old 11-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Scottd
Drifting

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2022

summit has the kits starting at 1500 bucks. My only other suggestion depends on how well you know carbs. The Edelbrock 1400 series are SIMPLE to work on and run right out of the box. They arent as 'tunable' as other carbs and do suffer from heat sink issues. Holley street Avengers are more performance driven but require some special tuning.

Head and cam choice will spur pages of debate here. I suggest you call Summit and they can recommend a base package for you and take out all the guesswork.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

LOL!!!
Its not even just the transmission and motor mounts but accessories and exhaust and......on and on and on...

An LS swap is $$$$ and work...especially if you arent equipped to do it yourself! Again, accessories, exhaust, gauges...etc...

Buy a crate motor....new exhaust. An L48 will never feel fast compared to a modern car.
For $5k you can drop in a nice 350.

And do yourself a favor and add dual exhaust.

Get notified of new replies

To Will this engine work in my 79 vette?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by commander_47

I tell ya, for 2K you can really build a nice 400hp car with that stock engine.

Troll Craigslist, Ebay, and don't forget Skip White for some really good parts.

Summit and Jegs are always having sales, etc.

I would suggest a 383 with Vortec heads an Edelbrock RPM manifold, headers, a new cam and a Holley. Easily can be done for less than 2k.

I agree. But that L48 with dished pistons will be a problem making any kind of performance compression...unless the Vortecs have like 54cc chambers.
Just the accessories for a Big Block swap would kill your budget.

Decide if you want a whole motor, or a package to build yours. Dont forget a warranty is nice if you distrust your own skills. Paying someone to build it could run you right over budget.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I like the edelbrock package idea
The edlebrock packages are for blocks with flat top pistons. They are designed for the biggest HP number they can make. Doing that they give up bottom end and fat midrange power. These cars are heavy, many have auto trans with fuel saving rear gear ratios. Cams are too big in all their packages for an L48. You can do a lot better than an edlebrock top end package for the money it cost.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I know I've been posting alot of things to do to my car lately. It's i see the feedback and then do very few things. I have done a few things so far thanks to all of you. Here's my new idea. Somone locally is wanting to sell a 2006 mustang gt engine. So I was wondering would it fit in my car? And if so what all mods would have to be done to my car to compensate for that big engine?
What's your experience level working on cars and engines?

Quick Reply: Will this engine work in my 79 vette?