C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet review

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Nickindy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carpet review

I purchased a carpet set from a big name carpet place years ago. Decided that it was time to put it in. Did all the recommendations....leave it out to get to room temperature, set it in sun etc. While the front fit pretty good I was never pleased with it. I knew there would be trimming involved but this was a little too much. I moved onto the rear and struggled and struggled with the fit. A lot of cutting still not a good fit...kept working on it. Returning was not an option since I purchased it years before and I hacked it up pretty good. Sagging in rear, corners not fitting. Spent hours and hours stretching it trying to make it fit. Last resort....got the husband involved and we both spent more hours on it. Finally gave up and said screw it and started research on rear carpet. Finally settled on Stock Interiors because I only wanted the rear carpet (carpet came from ACC) and I am so happy with their product that I had to share. The FedEx guy showed up and I ran out to greet him of course. Opened the box and laid it out immediately. Note: this carpet had the doors already precut, perfect. I was working at home that day and said to myself, hmmm let's try it just quickly. It took me about seven minutes to get it in and just used my hands to pop it into shape. I also purchased it with the "MassBack". It was amazing! I don't think I will need to cut it at all...maybe near the speakers for the screws but I'm leaving the rest, it looks really good. The corners fit and the back has no real noticeable sag....have to really get in the back to notice anything. The other rug I thought I would have to glue down.....this one I am not going to. I am so pleased....I texted my husband pics and said ...7 minutes done! I should have purchased the whole interior from them. Still got speakers and brackets to put in but there should be no issues at all...I will do a recommendation on rear speakers too. Delivery was fast. I am so pleased with the whole experience with the Stock Interiors, I was getting really frustrated. Oh I have a 78 Pace Car....and now a new carpet!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:32 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

ACC's carpet has always been our choice of installation in our shop... even more so now that we have been working with them to correct the rear carpet sections.

We have three different installations on our facebook page and will be adding more in the future. These installations include detailed photos and installation guidance to help anyone that needs to view the installed carpet in the correct manner.

I'm glad you got it fixed finally.

Willcox
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Nickindy,

I feel you pain. I use another manufacturer of carpet than what you initially used....but I might call Stock Interiors and pay of swatches (if required) of there carpet and colors with the mass backing on it if they have it available.

I will only install mass backed carpet on a 1984-1996...because much of the carpet came that way.

I hope that the pile of the carpet is as dense as needed. that is where the supplier I use has a tight row pattern and the pile is thick and feels good. And when I put their carpet up to sunlight....it is not showing a lot of light passing through it...where 'other' carpets fail on that....and feel 'thin' and not as full of fiber. I have small sections of factory carpet and can feel the difference when customers bring me carpet that is from someone other than what I prefer. I will see if Stock Interiors can pass the test.

Thanks for the post and your experiences.

DUB
Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Dub.. We've been working with ACC on the carpet sets with a goal of fixing all of them. So far I've supplied them with multiple original Stevens carpet sets to test and correct molds with... So far we've got 65 66 67 68 69 70 conv, 72 coupe, 74 conv and a many others. 96 is fixed too.. It's working out great for everyone.

The 78-79 carpets were never an issue with ACC though.

Oh.. just a hint too.. the windshield headers are being re-tooled I am supposed to get one for a test fit as soon as it's completed.

Willcox
Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Nickindy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to tell you I love the mass backing...carpet looks good and I admire my 10 minutes of work every time I look at it. Seems to hold carpet right in place without the need for glue. Working on the center console stuff now.

Willcox I see you are adding new products to your website and can't wait to give you guys a shot.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Carpet

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Dub.. We've been working with ACC on the carpet sets with a goal of fixing all of them. So far I've supplied them with multiple original Stevens carpet sets to test and correct molds with... So far we've got 65 66 67 68 69 70 conv, 72 coupe, 74 conv and a many others. 96 is fixed too.. It's working out great for everyone.

Oh.. just a hint too.. the windshield headers are being re-tooled I am supposed to get one for a test fit as soon as it's completed.

Willcox
Any update on the 70 Conv. carpet with correct heel pad?

Thanks, Bill
Old 10-26-2014, 04:57 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Willcox
What is the exact difference between the re-tooled headers and the prvious windshield headers?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:47 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Willcox
Sorry to thread hijack. Willcox, which album on your FB page are the carpet installs?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:54 PM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used ACC from Willcox and the results were great. I had some bunching up behind the seats but that's settling down as time goes by.

Search my user name to see some pictures of the finished product
Old 02-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Stock Interiors also offers a "ultra-plush" ACC product option if you want the same density that came with the vehicle (speaking from first-hand experience on my '82). The ultra-plush option is a little more expensive, and only available throughStock Interiors to my knowledge, but the base carpet that most of our vendor partners offer is positively NOT the same density or height (referred to as "weight" in the automotive carpet industry) as what came I my '82. The ultra plush is about 30% thicker, and I can back it with clearly illustrated photos if you PM me.
Btw, the comments/consensus about the issues with ACC's recent fit quality should be I red flag of concern. Glad they're working with pros like Dub, but it's unsettling that they've let their quality slip as such on a design that hasn't changed one iota in decades, making me leery to recommend them to any peers at club meets.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
What is the exact difference between the re-tooled headers and the prvious windshield headers?
Nothing yet... the manufacturer dropped the ball on it for me... they lost the info that I had already provided so I'll have to start from scratch on this soon.

Willcox
Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrbeaubo
Sorry to thread hijack. Willcox, which album on your FB page are the carpet installs?
One is the blue 69, there is another one for the dark saddle 72 and then there is the 68 carpet installation. Issues have been slim with ACC, but the ones that do exist will be a thing of the past if we keep plugging away on this project.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-12-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:46 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

One is the blue 69, there is another one for the dark saddle 72 and then there is the 68 carpet installation.

Willcox
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 180 Posts

another question about stock interiors carpet.

which is correct for a 72 coupe, 80/20 loop or nylon loop?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by riverracer au
another question about stock interiors carpet.

which is correct for a 72 coupe, 80/20 loop or nylon loop?
Depending on the color. 72 could have had cut pile or loop based on the interior option code. The only colors that could have been cut pile were Black and Dark Saddle. code 404 black, and code 421 dark saddle. Both these two codes were considered deluxe interior which included Smooth visors, leather seats and a trimmed out door panel with a lower carpet boot, wood grain inserts and all kinds of fanciness.

We'll be removing the option for cut pile on other colors after our new site is finished in a few weeks. Blue/red cut pile... Never had it from the factory and things like this continue to confuse customers.

Interior codes for 72

400 = black/vinyl seats
404 = black/leather seats (cut pile)
407 = red/vinyl seats
412 = blue/vinyl seats
417 = saddle/vinyl seats
421 = saddle/leather seats (cut pile).

No other options were available in 1972...Nada, zippo.

72 factory 421 dark saddle interior in my personal car.
Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-12-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 180 Posts

yeah, mine's only the lowly "400" option
Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by riverracer au
yeah, mine's only the lowly "400" option
You can go with cutpile...

I look at it this way.. 80/20 loop will last longer, the cutpile looks better.

Right now.. until I submit the rest of my report to ACC on the rear carpet findings, I'm the only vendor with the correct Rear T and rear carpets for your 72.. They have to review the changes... but the changes I've submitted are from the original Stevens samples... In the case of the 72, it's my own car.

Ernie
Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I just got done putting in my carpet kit. I bought it from a guy who cancelled his restoration for some reason and had a complete carpet kit for my 68 coupe. It lined up close, but not as close as I hoped. Discouraged, I found a trick to make it look not only good, but really good to me. Six, fourty pound bags of pea gravel that I needed for my front yard anyway. I set the carpet sections in the sun for a couple of hours as well as the bags of pea gravel. Put the glue in place, set the carpet in place, put the bags of pea gravel down on top of the carpet and let stand for 48 hours. Took the bags off and did the next section. No wrinkles, no mess and the front planter looks even better now with more gravel in it. Now to figure out how keep the neighborhood cats out of the planter.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet review

Quick Reply: Carpet review