C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

406 SBC Hyd Roller with AFR 190's and PP Hurricane Dual Plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Must be torture shifting a solid that low
18-20thou cold lash setting here makes some noise and I love it.
nothing sounds like a solid
Havent adjusted in almost 2 yrs either
Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Must be torture shifting a solid that low...
Ha...I just think of the torture of my wife asking me, in a very even tone, "You threw the what out of the who and it will cost HOW much?"

In comparing tortures, I choose the one that damn near guarantees that my engine will stay happy and healthy.

And I have to agree: Nothing sounds like a solid.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Why bother with a solid if the target rpm peak is under 7k?? Wouldn't a hyd roller have better performance all around at the lower rpm band? Or is the solid just for Saturday night bragging rights?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

For me it was a bit of nostalgia to keep solid lifters in my LT-1 engine. Rollers now, but who is counting? I also kept the original forged crank, the original TRW 11:1 mini dome pistons and the original winters forged dual plane aluminum intake.

I had aspirations of revving the hell out of it. Someday I may. But for now I am happy to keep it where it is. It makes LOTS of power. Really. Plenty for me.

In the end, I love tinkering and checking/adjusting the valves is raking a Zen Garden to me.

And I LOOOOOOOOVE the sound. Even if I'm giving up power, the music of a solid engine hitting is amazing. Really special.

I don't care about bragging. I just like playing. And impressing my 8 and 10 year old kids. Probably didn't need a solid engine to impress them, but they will understand the difference someday.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:59 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a big fan of the professional products dual plane intake .the ports looked badly cast ,I had to use moroso epoxy to match it up to my heads .it took me 1 hr with a file to match up my air-gap to my dart heads .
Old 10-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I have the same cam slightly modified for an extra $40 I played with the dur. lift and small base circle and the cam is billet steel. I don't know if Comp Cams is offering these changes so cheap anymore though.

The lobes on the cam are incredibly steep and I have no idea how the lifter follows them without jumping off the top. I have T & D shaft rockers and haven't had to make any adjustment in 2 years or more now. I will be honest and say there is some noise

nice looking guage what brand is it ?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 315 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
Why bother with a solid if the target rpm peak is under 7k?? Wouldn't a hyd roller have better performance all around at the lower rpm band? Or is the solid just for Saturday night bragging rights?
Solid roller set ups are just more stable-high rpms or not. If your not going to race it or beat the snot out of it then probably not neccessary but even if you "might" be beating on it hard in the future it's a good option imo.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
A solid roller will work just fine at any RPM, I tool around town at 2000RPM and I know I can mash the pedal and hit 7000RPM's in a blink of an eye.

It truly is the best of all cams, as I have had them all, 375ft/lbs at the wheels @ 2,000RPM is very nice. I have my rev limiter set for 8,000RPM. As for bragging rights well that's just just immature.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

I viewed solid lifters as "old school" and "racy" more than being a bragging right.

ALL lifters/tappets were solid for the longest time. Desire to introduce a quieter and a less maintenance intensive engine package drove the hydraulic lifter.

In the research I did to prepare this response, I learned that the default lifter/tappet was actually a solid ROLLER lifter in the beginning. It was only after it became apparent that the roller/bearing assembly itself was the failure mode that the flat tappet come into existance. And even then, they realized that a FLAT tappet didn't work too well...that's why flat tappets aren't flat...they have a very, VERY slight bulge in the center.

Lets face it...not everyone can, or wants to, adjust valves. It should be done relatively often (every oil change at the very least?) and you can REALLY bum something up if you don't do it right.

Hydraulic lifters are the "set it and forget it" solution to valvetrain lash. Hydraulics have clear durability benefits by having zero lash and a "softer" valvetrain geometry, but low- or high-end performance is not one of the items you 'go to hydraulic' to obtain.

As far as low-end grunt, I'm certain there is (or could be) a solid grind that mimics the 'cushion' that is inherent to a hydraulic lifter and allows more low end grund and less high end power. But in today's world, that isn't where the market exists for solid grinds.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

the only thing though is when you have a hyd roller and you go around your buddy and his solid roller.....well words can't describe the look on his face....
Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Meh...I'm not in it for the glory.

I raced a guy in a 6.2L Camaro SS. Stick. Very nice $35k~$40k car.

I had him by a bumper to 100.

He spent over $5k on a throttle body, cool tube, full exhaust, cats, and a few other widgets.

He had me by a car to 100.

I felt pretty darn good about the hydraulic motor beating me. If someone has to go out and spend nearly the cost of my entire engine build to get me by a car length, I'll consider that a success on my part.

With my 44 year old car.

And my cute little no bore, no stroke 350.

In a car that has a grand total of $18k invested, including original purchase price.

Just wait until I get my new intake, 5 speed, offset trailing arms, rear tires, and rear gears. THEN we'll race again...
Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace

He spent over $5k on a throttle body, cool tube, full exhaust, cats, and a few other widgets.

I felt pretty darn good about the hydraulic motor beating me. If someone has to go out and spend nearly the cost of my entire engine build to get me by a car length, I'll consider that a success on my part.

With my 44 year old car.

In a car that has a grand total of $18k invested, including original purchase price.

Just wait until I get my new intake, 5 speed, offset trailing arms, rear tires, and rear gears. THEN we'll race again...
What's it turn?

DO MA NEU!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluedawg
What's it turn?
I'm sorry...I'm an idiot. Are you asking what my engine is making power-wise?

I'll get in trouble if I speculate. Folks around here don't like hearing horsepower figures unless you have a dyno sheet to back up your claim.

If I was going to give an uneducated guess, based only on a horsepower comparison to the cars that I have beaten and been beaten by, that I am comfortably above 400 HP but probably not 450 HP. This being a pump-gas, straight-bore, solid lifter, full roller 350 with big heads and a wicked cam.

I have power left in my tune. Running 80 jets in the back and the engine is asking for more.

I have power left in my intake. Running the old LT-1 Winter's aluminum intake. My builder thinks I have at least 25 HP, probably more, hiding in an RPM Air-Gap intake.

And if I grew the stones, I could run it past 5,500 RPM and probably pick up a good bit of something good up there. The builder is very comfortable with me running a 6,500 RPM redline, but I'm not ready.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm sorry...I'm an idiot. Are you asking what my engine is making power-wise?

I'll get in trouble if I speculate. Folks around here don't like hearing horsepower figures unless you have a dyno sheet to back up your claim.

If I was going to give an uneducated guess, based only on a horsepower comparison to the cars that I have beaten and been beaten by, that I am comfortably above 400 HP but probably not 450 HP. This being a pump-gas, straight-bore, solid lifter, full roller 350 with big heads and a wicked cam.

I have power left in my tune. Running 80 jets in the back and the engine is asking for more.

I have power left in my intake. Running the old LT-1 Winter's aluminum intake. My builder thinks I have at least 25 HP, probably more, hiding in an RPM Air-Gap intake.

And if I grew the stones, I could run it past 5,500 RPM and probably pick up a good bit of something good up there. The builder is very comfortable with me running a 6,500 RPM redline, but I'm not ready.
No..... I was talking mph in the quarter?

DO MA NEU!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:53 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Absolutely no clue. I am unwilling to take it over 100 until I get through my frame and suspension project.

I would speculate that I am solidly in the 12's, but that is a guess based in chocolate ice cream and dreams.

The car is fast. I will post a GoPro video sometime soon.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

With my 44 year old car.

I would compare a Gen 1 to a Gen 1. The LS platform is its own animal.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by StraubTech
I would compare a Gen 1 to a Gen 1. The LS platform is its own animal.
Totally agree in the technical sense.

My point was that I was whipping up on some very expensive cars with my very cool looking bucket of bolts.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

I thought the pp hurricane is a single plane isn't the dual plane the crosswind?

Quick Reply: 406 SBC Hyd Roller with AFR 190's and PP Hurricane Dual Plane