C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 OD help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 82 OD help needed

The converter isn't locking up, my 3 wires coming from the trans don't seem to be the same color the FSM shows so I'm having a hard time testing. Maybe I'm not looking at the right wires. Can someone tell me what color wires are for the lockup and which ones I need to test. Also taking a trip soon, is there a way to bypass the system and manually lock the converter with a toggle switch if I need be for the trip ? O course I know slowing down it'll have to be turned off.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tak82
The converter isn't locking up, my 3 wires coming from the trans don't seem to be the same color the FSM shows so I'm having a hard time testing. Maybe I'm not looking at the right wires. Can someone tell me what color wires are for the lockup and which ones I need to test. Also taking a trip soon, is there a way to bypass the system and manually lock the converter with a toggle switch if I need be for the trip ? O course I know slowing down it'll have to be turned off.
Nastyz28.com has a section on lock up converters but camaro and corvette use different wires. There is two terminals on you ECM test port that can be jumped to lock up the converter but a simple test scanner from harbor freight will test it for you also.
First, how do you know it's not locking up? The trans starts locking in second gear. Also the lock up will not occur if the temperature is not up to operating temps.
The last reason is a massive vac leak will make the MAP sensor think you're under load and the ECM won't lock the converter.

I had the opposit problem. My converter would lock up the second it hit second gear and bag thru the rest of the gears. A new Hypertec ECM PROM stage 1 took care of this problem by delaying lock up until 45 mph.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do I not know its not locking up ? rpm's don't drop for a final time, the rpm's freely rev up and down at all times. I definitely know when a converter is locked and not. No vacuum leaks and temp is up to normal. I have 3 wires coming from trans, green tan and tan/ black stripe. Does this sound correct cause my service manual shows different, how can I jump these to get a lock up ?

Last edited by tak82; 08-29-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 OD help needed

Quick Reply: 82 OD help needed