C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 post lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Default 4 post lift

I will need to strore 3 cars in the space of two for the winter. Ceiling is 14 feet.I think a 4 post lift is what I need. I expext to use it occasionally to work on the underside of cars. I probably will only use the lifting mech three or 4 times a year at most. Anyone use a 4 post lift for longer term storage? Can you give pros and cons of them? I know the runwayssrunwayssomewhat limit access to the underside of car but for what work I would be doing I think I can live with that. I have looked at AUTOLIFT for $1, 700.00. Prices go up to $2, 500 for same capacity. What might the differences be? I guess im asking for experinced opinions. Thanks. If it matter I will storing eith the 78 Vette or a '86 mercedes 560 sl.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 AM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a bend pak 4 post lift. It can be moved around, but I decided to bolt mine to the floor as close to the garage door as possible. This gives me more room in front of the car. I store my 72' LT1 on top most of the time and mower etc underneath for now. Not the best for undercar access, but I felt better with 4 posts, rather than 2 for mostly storing the vehicle.
No issues whatsoever.
Joe
Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have had both a 2 post and 4 post. For storing a car a 4 post is the way to go. A 2 post is better for working on the car. I paid a little over 2K for mine. I went and picked it up with a car trIler and installed it by myself in about 4 hours. Mine is not bolted down but I have never moved it. The 2 post will have to be bolted to the floor. You have plenty of ceiling height. My 2 post also was a 240 volt system where my 4 post is a 120.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I have a CompleteHydraulics 4-post lift and it's great for the needs I have. And, they appear to be the same as yours. My ceiling is 12 feet high and it can handle almost anything. I can't put my van on it and lift it to full height, but I only need it up on the lift for maintenance and repair.

Also, the C/H lifts come with a wheel set that installs easily and allows you to move the lift around, whenever you need. I did not bolt mine to the floor, but made up some heavy rubber pads for the bottom of the corner posts. That keeps the posts from shifting and allows the post to remain vertical when in use.

Most lifts have locking mechanisms at various points on the vertical columns. The C/H lifts have 10 locking points in their travel. Raise it above one of those and then drop the lift (without holding the 'release' lever) and the lift locks in place...perfect for working underneath or for long-term storage.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:17 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Direct Lift 4 post and love it. I understand that it is the only lift that is certified without being bolted to the floor but you may want to confirm that. It was a little more expensive than some $2195 and I paid $500 to have it picked up at the local warehouse and installed, which took three guys about 2 hours and saved my back :-)

I personally do not think it would be good to leave the suspension extended for long periods of time, but it would be easier to work on the car with a 2 post. My garage was only 8 feet ceilings, so I am in process of raising it as the picture shows. That was the most difficult part but getting close to done now. Just need to finish texture and paint then I can raise the garage door another 16 inches and have a little more clearance for the C6. Very tight at the moment, less than 2 inches clearance and have to be careful not the lift the door to high and hit the C3. After the door is down I can go all the way up and walk under the car easily.

Had I known what I know now I would have bought one of these years ago before I even had a Vette. The 4 post is really a multiple use device.
1. It is a great adjustable height work bench, no more bending and crouching when working on stuff.
2. Lay plywood on it and use it for an additional storage area with parking underneath
3. Use it for a table during block parties or other event.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Raise the roof!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 4 post lift

Quick Reply: 4 post lift