C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 wiper door operation stiff

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:48 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 68 wiper door operation stiff

my wiper door assembly has sat for many years and now I have soaked it with WD 40 several times around the white plastic bushings without much results . Any help would be appreciated .I have the entire assembly out of car now .
Wes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

All pivots and bushings should be lubed with white lithium grease (from a tube...not spray stuff). If the joints are free and haven't been modified, it should be fine if set up per AIM instructions.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
All pivots and bushings should be lubed with white lithium grease (from a tube...not spray stuff). If the joints are free and haven't been modified, it should be fine if set up per AIM instructions.
Thanks for info I will see how I can get some grease into the bushings??
Wes
Old 08-22-2014, 01:58 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I would suggest that you DO NOT try to remove the bolts holding the door to the linkage system. They are 'shoulder' bolts and are very weak. If the threads are corroded at all (and they always are), you will snap those bolts off with just moderate effort. It would be much better to try forcing a bit of grease into the areas of the bushings, then work the linkage until it frees up.

If you have soaked those bolts in WD-40 for several hours....PB Blaster is much better, IMO....you can try to loosen them. But, if they don't back out with just light effort, don't bother with them. If you snap off a bolt, you will have to drill out the stub and, in that process, damage the threads. Any reworking of those threads will cause a misalignment of the bolt with the linkage and cause binding. Not a good situation.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The bushings are delrin and not supposed to need lube. Just the same, a little squirt couldn't hurt.

Be gentle and you can work the wiper door open and closed with your hands.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I have the entire assembly out of car now .
7T1 has some sound advice. If indeed it's out of the car, put it back in with the door attached, and grill off. I've had some success with the mechanics friend mixture of 50/50 acetone and ATF. If you soak the bushings for several days, the added rigidity of the entire assembly may allow you to gradually free it by coaxing it slowly.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM
530planeman
Drifting

I would suggest that you DO NOT try to remove the bolts holding the door to the linkage system. They are 'shoulder' bolts and are very weak. If the threads are corroded at all (and they always are), you will snap those bolts off with just moderate effort. It would be much better to try forcing a bit of grease into the areas of the bushings, then work the linkage until it frees up.

If you have soaked those bolts in WD-40 for several hours....PB Blaster is much better, IMO....you can try to loosen them. But, if they don't back out with just light effort, don't bother with them. If you snap off a bolt, you will have to drill out the stub and, in that process, damage the threads. Any reworking of those threads will cause a misalignment of the bolt with the linkage and cause binding. Not a good situation.
Thanks for info I found about those bolts breaking on my 70LT1 .These on my 68 were loose and came out but that's not my problem .problem is linkage is bound up even though there are plastic bushings in them.My 68 has the original smaller vacuum can and I notice a lot of cars with larger vacuum can ??
Thanks
Wes
Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Wes,
The early wiper actuator was shaped like a 1 lb. coffee can, while the later (69+?) actuator is shaped like 2 small pie pans stuck together.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Wes,
The early wiper actuator was shaped like a 1 lb. coffee can, while the later (69+?) actuator is shaped like 2 small pie pans stuck together.
Regards,
Alan
Alan
thanks I have to buy one as mine has a small leak on the opening side .Mine is a May 68 car so looks like I need the 1lb can type if they are available ??Finally got wipers sorted out had several problems .Now off to getting headlights working then final painting so I can get this one sold and then finish up my 70LT1 Motion race car to take to Bowling Green around the new track.pm me and I will send you picture of 70 as I still cant figure out how to post pictures .i know it's easy but I guess I am
Wes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave J
7T1 has some sound advice. If indeed it's out of the car, put it back in with the door attached, and grill off. I've had some success with the mechanics friend mixture of 50/50 acetone and ATF. If you soak the bushings for several days, the added rigidity of the entire assembly may allow you to gradually free it by coaxing it slowly.
Thanks I will try that I have them moving a little .this car was stored for 27 years so I guess it's like me at 66 move slow and stiff most of the time .
Wes
Old 08-26-2014, 03:58 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

. If you snap off a bolt, you will have to drill out the stub and, in that process, damage the threads. Any reworking of those threads will cause a misalignment of the bolt with the linkage and cause binding. Not a good situation.
I removed the door on my 70 and snapped one of the little bolts. I went to J&D Corvette to buy a salvage door. They probably had about 50 doors. I started looking at them one by one. Door after door had a snapped off bolt in it. Lets say there were exactly 50 doors I looked at. When I got to the 47th door, I found an undamaged one!

The riveted pivot fasteners in the door brackets may be the cause of the friction. I know Paragon at one time sold all of these riveted pivot fasteners and an installation tool. Maybe the pivots are the culprits.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:40 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I removed the door on my 70 and snapped one of the little bolts. I went to J&D Corvette to buy a salvage door. They probably had about 50 doors. I started looking at them one by one. Door after door had a snapped off bolt in it. Lets say there were exactly 50 doors I looked at. When I got to the 47th door, I found an undamaged one!

The riveted pivot fasteners in the door brackets may be the cause of the friction. I know Paragon at one time sold all of these riveted pivot fasteners and an installation tool. Maybe the pivots are the culprits.
68/70 I suspect that is where they are binding I am soaking each side for a few days to see if that helps The bolts were out when I got the car and move fine .My 70 works fine but it only has 7489 miles on the car and my 68 has 89K miles .most likely like me the older I get the less I work
Old 09-12-2014, 02:48 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave J
I used marvel mystery oil and acetone worked great thanks for advise
Wes

Get notified of new replies

To 68 wiper door operation stiff

Quick Reply: 68 wiper door operation stiff