C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel keeps losing adjustment '69

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Crahm
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rear wheel keeps losing adjustment '69

My '69 loses its camber adjustment on the left rear wheel after a few hundred miles.
Does the bolt which holds the adjustment have a possibility of known problem of stretching?
The torque setting is 65ftlbs, but mine still moves.
Thoughts?
Charles
Old 08-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Charles,
Is the round plate on the head end of the bolt firmly welded in place?
Is the hole in the loose round plate the right size/shape that it doesn't move on the bolt.
Are the 'lips' on the bracket that the plates seat against in good condition… not spread or deformed?
Are you using a new and proper lock water? The originals used in various high stress places on the suspension where considerably thicker than the usual split washer?
???
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Rear Camber

If I may add that there are unique washers used on the strut rods on the inner ears where the camber bolt passes through.

If the washers are not there the adjustment will be tough if not impossible to keep and the strut rod bushings will wear out very quickly.

Check your AIM as the assembly is very clear with proper torque setting noted.

Bill
Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,216 Likes on 2,766 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974ta
If I may add that there are unique washers used on the strut rods on the inner ears where the camber bolt passes through.

If the washers are not there the adjustment will be tough if not impossible to keep and the strut rod bushings will wear out very quickly.

Check your AIM as the assembly is very clear with proper torque setting noted.

Bill

Are you referring to this...Do 1969 models use them.........

If so, two are required on each inboard end of the strut rod.....the camber will NOT stay set without them (trust me!)....

(Ignore the muddy chrome Harley Davidson muffler directly under the strut rod bracket....LOL)

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-03-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:49 PM
68sbShark
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with camber not holding on my '68. Replaced the camber bolts with a new set and all was well. It seemed that some of the threads were 'weak' (ie. rusty and worn down) and the nut would jump a few threads after a few hundred miles. New bolts and no more problems.

~Rich
Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 68sbShark
I had the same issue with camber not holding on my '68. Replaced the camber bolts with a new set and all was well. It seemed that some of the threads were 'weak' (ie. rusty and worn down) and the nut would jump a few threads after a few hundred miles. New bolts and no more problems.

~Rich
This is very common when the old bolts are reused. The threads on mine were very rough and most of the torque I was applying on the wrench was lost in friction, not clamping stuff together.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel keeps losing adjustment '69

Quick Reply: Rear wheel keeps losing adjustment '69