C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build thread: LSx 6.0 swapped c3

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Regarding fuel system, no need for return. They're not used on any more GM setups. Get the F body intank from vetteworks. Save yourself time and money and go with OEM plastic lines and fittings.
On the harness:
Your motor is a 24x reluctor. That means you'll need an ecu and harness made for it. The 411 ecu is very common and will support cable or DBW.
If you don't already have a DBW pedal ($100), TAC ($250), TAC harness ($50), TB ($150), save the money and just pick up a cable TB. You'll need a 3 bolt TB from either an f body or truck.
Get your harness and tune set up for cable (IAC driver).
Honestly, building a motor and sourcing parts the way you are is the most expensive way. I would suggest hitting a junkyard and stripping all the parts, sensors, etc you'll need.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 AM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks like it to Me that Your mechanical knowlege is a bit limited on gen 3 motors, not trying to put You down or nothin but they can be a little complicated to the novice.
Garys68 and 74modified got some good advice here. With the route You're going buying everything new, have You thought about using the MSD unit to run the coils and using a Carburator ? This could save You lots of time and money. Expecially on computer reflash and tuning.

One more thing before starting a new gen3 and up Engine You must prime the Oil pump , it will not pick up oil from the pan if it is dry. Kent Moore makes a special tool to do this . This is IMPORTANT so don't skip this.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am with Gary. You could get 4.8 or 5.3 valve covers, sensors ect. from the salvage yard. I am running a Gen III with cable throttle and a 411 ECM. I have an in-tank pump and nylon fuel lines and find that setup perfect for what I need.

Depending on your budget and desired results, bigger is not always better. Fuel cells, superchargers, 1000 gal/hr fuel pumps, ported throttle bodies, radical cams, and other ideas may not be the best for your particular build.

Instead of all of that stuff, I would look at an overdrive transmission instead of the TH350. Again - depending on how you want to use the car - Being able to enjoy the benefits of the modern engine and controls to run OD is one of the main reasons I decided to swap in an LS.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
I am with Gary. You could get 4.8 or 5.3 valve covers, sensors ect. from the salvage yard. I am running a Gen III with cable throttle and a 411 ECM. I have an in-tank pump and nylon fuel lines and find that setup perfect for what I need.

Depending on your budget and desired results, bigger is not always better. Fuel cells, superchargers, 1000 gal/hr fuel pumps, ported throttle bodies, radical cams, and other ideas may not be the best for your particular build.

Instead of all of that stuff, I would look at an overdrive transmission instead of the TH350. Again - depending on how you want to use the car - Being able to enjoy the benefits of the modern engine and controls to run OD is one of the main reasons I decided to swap in an LS.
Will do. Yes my knowledge is very very limited. I only started looking into gen 3-4 ls engines last week. Im learning as i do it. So this is what ill need

Gen 3 ecu 411
5.3 valve covers and all sensors
Db cable throttle body

Im not buying a wiring harness and sending it off. Psi will build me one.

Also i found a camaro ls1 part out. Ill go pick up his

Oil pan
All accessories and brackets
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Well here it is. We pulled the 355 and I found out the heads were built, th400, and a 11" torque converter. The tranny coolant lines were a bitch and along with the radiator (omg)

And here is the lsx 6.0 short block.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

The transmission goes off to get built to handle 600whp. The lq9 heads, aluminum roller rockers, hardened push rods, zo6 cam, f body oil pan, and all gaskets and hardware come in Friday.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM
silvvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's it coming along?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Originally Posted by BluePastU
How's it coming along?
Its coming along amazing. I pulled the interor and wires. The gauges will be dummy. Were using a racepack, 5.3 headers vbanded, and a 76mm precision. The lq9 is almost fully built. Were using a custom a2w tank in a custom fuel cell. With the holley mid ram intake and a custom a2w intercooler built into the intake. The a2w intercooler is one bad mother ****er. Look up "crusty nova 417 motorsports" and check it out. Were using holley efi tuning. It will take time. The projected power to start is 625whp then by the end of next year at 850rwhp.

My headers are getting refreshed and i got a 350turbo shell to mount the lq9 and start tacking up the piping for the 76mm.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:07 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Working on pulling all the wiring out of the car. Just gonna run the racepac with switches for ignition, fuel pump, and windows.

Last edited by Planbmatt1; 08-14-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:21 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the LQ9 swap last year and love it. Bored .030 over with cam. I used the Holley Avenger EMS for my build. I would recommend going with the Holley dominator for your build. More I/O. Can get the harness for LS so you don't have to make a harness and you can tune a number of different areas. Check it out.https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/554-114 I also used the Holley Accessories brackets but with a turbo you may need custom brackets. You should go to the LS forum and look at all the conversions. That's where I posted my build.

Last edited by donnie1956; 08-09-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Originally Posted by donnie1956
I did the LQ9 swap last year and love it. Bored .030 over with cam. I used the Holley Avenger EMS for my build. I would recommend going with the Holley dominator for your build. More I/O. Can get the harness for LS so you don't have to make a harness and you can tune a number of different areas. Check it out.https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/554-114 I also used the Holley Accessories brackets but with a turbo you may need custom brackets. You should go to the LS forum and look at all the conversions. That's where I posted my build.
Im already getting all f-body accessories and brackets from a camaro monday. Also i pick up my dummy block and tranny and turbo so i can start fab work.

I wont be using dominator. Just basic holley efi. Also ill be making a custom aluminum dash to mount the holley dash.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:00 AM
tt 383
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The roller rockers are a waste. Do a search, anh cam under .600 lift they are not needed, and actually heavier than stock. Use stockers with the trunion upgrade.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

I agree, but i got them free

I finished pulling all the wiring. All that is left is the wires for the windows, ignition wiring coming out of the steering column. Ill be slicing in to make ignition switch, fuel pump, lights.

Ive almost stripped the whole car. I still have to pull out the back and figure out how to remove the steering column. Ill be fixing the floor boards and then painting it all with rust stopper.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Did a little bit of grinding on floor boards. Layed down a coat of rust stopper and i cant wait till i get it all done. Grinding is hard work but with this all treated and black it'll look good.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Ordered my branded new s400 Borg Warner turbo. Next up is the Holley high ram intake with a2w intercooler in between it. $2k setup and worth every damn penny.

Quick Reply: Build thread: LSx 6.0 swapped c3