C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

Default Fuel Tank repair

OK, I've got a '78 with the HDPE liner in the tank ( not the bladder). The tank is out and I was about to start cleaning it up and painting it before I reinstall it as part of my project and I discovered a crack in the lining. I know I can buy a new tank without the lining, but I like the idea of the lining for a few reasons, so I would like to keep it if I can. The question is this, is there any way to repair the HDPE lining? Or is it that once it starts to crack, it will continue in other places? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I've heard that once they start cracking they don't stop. Eastwood makes a tank lining solution that you pour into a clean tank, swish it around to coat the inside, let it cure for some period of time, and then the tank is as good as new. Never used it but it has a good reputation.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

Yes, I am afraid that the cracking is like everything else on our cars. Once you start you can't stop! POR makes a product like you described and I have used it in motorcycle tanks. Nasty stuff, I think it was 2 or 3 parts. That is probably the way I will go with a new tank, rather than just WAITING for my repair to fail.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Tank repair

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank repair