C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Custom Exhaust Shop in Atlanta Area

Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Looking for Custom Exhaust Shop in Atlanta Area

I live in Roswell Georgia and am looking for a shop that does good custom exhaust work.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give a call to Exotic Exhaust - Buster Smith 770-943-2153. Not sure if he's still around but he and his son did a custom built mandrel bent exhaust for my '68. All stainless steel, custom bent the headers into a 3" collector and then 3" all the way back with an H-pipe and through the cross member. Great work. He's in Hiram, GA, due west of Smyrna.

Not real close to Roswell, but he does/did fantastic work and I'm unaware of any other custom exhaust shop in the area. I'm sure they exist but when I had my exhaust done several years ago and I was researching shops, Buster was always the one that kept getting recommended. I have no regrets.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Kelleyo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in Marietta as well. I have a 69 BB with a stock exhaust. What difference did you feel/hear from the Hpipe?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Buster is still there! He has done some pretty nice custom work on a few cars at our local speed shop! Always seems to turn out very nice! If American Racing had not come through with their new C3 LSx headers, I was going to get in touch with Buster to have him do some custom headers on my 71.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kelleyo, hard to say exactly the effect of the H-pipe alone. I had a stock 2-1/2" exhaust, which was replaced with headers, 3" exhaust pipes, an H-pipe and Flowmasters. So definitely not a situation where the H-pipe was the only change. It definitely does smooth out the exhaust pulses though and gives the exhaust a different sort of growl, not as loud but still throaty. I would consider it a good addition to the exhaust.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelleyo
What difference did you feel/hear from the H pipe?
karnt comment on an exhaust shop as i'm on the other side of the world...

but i can comment on the different sound a "H" pipe makes.

rebuilt my 350 out of my 72, stock manifolds with 2" ss exhaust pipes, into magnaflow mufflers
the original shop put 2.5" mufflers on with the stock exhaust bezels welded to the muffler,
howards hyd roller cam 111145-12 (112 LSA)

here's a quick sound clip of before "H" pipe and after phone was recording sitting on a box about 10' behind both times

"H" pipe was put just behind the trans mount, with a bolt up flange between to allow removal of the exhaust system.

as for power, no idea, but they say it increases low end torque

i think it takes the fluffy sound out from the overlap of the cam
sounds a lot better with a boot full
Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 PM
Kelleyo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Definitely sounds smoother. I know that X and H pipes help exhaust scavenging as well as even out the sound/pulses...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Buster is still there! He has done some pretty nice custom work on a few cars at our local speed shop! Always seems to turn out very nice! If American Racing had not come through with their new C3 LSx headers, I was going to get in touch with Buster to have him do some custom headers on my 71.
Those American Racing headers look very nice. I may go that rout instead of Kooks. I would like to go with 1-7/8" through a 3" system. I know I have seen them run through our stock cross members but i may get an open aftermarket cross member instead.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Custom Exhaust Shop in Atlanta Area

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Custom Exhaust Shop in Atlanta Area