C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter drive gear stays locked to flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Default Starter drive gear stays locked to flywheel

I am getting ready to start my new ZZ383 and have been checking things out slowly.

Today I installed the starter and noticed that when cranking the engine everything sounds ok. I went under to take a look and I noticed the gear is still on the flywheel. If I turn the engine by hand just to bump it the gear retracts immediately. You can hear the click. This is a few fly wheel and is this normal if the engine doesn't start and you just turn the key off ?. I assume if the engine started this would be similar as me moving the engine by hand and the gear retracts. ?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I am getting ready to start my new ZZ383 and have been checking things out slowly.

Today I installed the starter and noticed that when cranking the engine everything sounds ok. I went under to take a look and I noticed the gear is still on the flywheel. If I turn the engine by hand just to bump it the gear retracts immediately. You can hear the click. This is a few fly wheel and is this normal if the engine doesn't start and you just turn the key off ?. I assume if the engine started this would be similar as me moving the engine by hand and the gear retracts. ?
Either your starter is hanging up inside, or the starter gear mesh is too tight to the flywheel. A shim would likely fix that.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=start...w=1536&bih=798
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
Either your starter is hanging up inside, or the starter gear mesh is too tight to the flywheel. A shim would likely fix that.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=start...w=1536&bih=798
After starting the engine it retracts properly. I will see if shimming helps, but thats after I get it running well. Thanks...
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

U need to fit up the starter. Specs should be in the box the starter came in. Starter pinion needs to clearance the flywheel when retracted and another spec between the teeth when pinion is extended. Used a unbent paper clip to measure mine.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I can not find the instruction sheet that came with my new starter so i could give you the exact spec.

I think it was .45 clearance between the ring gear and pinion gear.

If it makes noise or will not let go of the starter gear add .10 in increments till it does and then add .10 more for when it hot.

Not very scientific but it has worked for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter drive gear stays locked to flywheel

Quick Reply: Starter drive gear stays locked to flywheel