C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescopic with tilt steering shaft 1977

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Alex36
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telescopic with tilt steering shaft 1977

Where can I get a new steering shaft with Telescopic and tilt for 1977 corvette. The threads for the star screw is stripped out and when I tried to re-tap the hole the tap broke off inside. Any help please. Thanks.

Last edited by Alex36; 07-27-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex36
Where can I get a new steering shaft with Telescopic and tilt for 1977 corvette. The threads for the star screw is stripped out and when I tried to re-tap the hole the tap broke off inside. Any help please. Thanks.
I have several...but honestly..I am holding to them.

If you can not find someone who will sell this part out of the column...because this part can be removed....it all depends if it is locked down and NOT moving up and down. Many places that sell used parts do not break columns down and sell off parts....because a complete column can bring more money.

IF it is able to move UP and DOWN..it will be a bit of fun to get it out but it can be done. BY removing the 'C' clip ABOVE your lock plate.

IF it can not move up and down....the entire column will need to come out of the car.

With this written...IF you can get this shaft out..or even the column. Hopefully in your area you have a machine shop that will have a 'tap burning' machine or an EDM machine. They can burn out the tap and tap it for you.

I do not know what area of the world you live in and many of us do not need specifics...but if I knew 'where-abouts' you live...I could have aided you in where to take it to get it fixed.....which is why a basic generalization in your Public Profile always helps.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 07-27-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Alex36
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had it apart to replace the blinker switch and that shaft will
pull out all the way. I just wanted to find a replacement. The guy that owned it before me stripped it out.

Last edited by Alex36; 07-27-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Telescopic with tilt steering shaft 1977

Quick Reply: Telescopic with tilt steering shaft 1977