C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train experts..... teach me

Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM
hamck
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Valve train experts..... teach me

I've doing a lot of reading on this site and others about proper valve train geo. and guide plate alignment. Frankly i'm getting a headache.First off, guide plates. My guide plates measure .3145 inside,5/16 = .3125. Thats .002 difference or .001 per side. Kind of tight? Is there a side clearance spec. to shoot for? I could file them to make them bigger if need be. I read one post that stated pushrods aren't supposed to rub on the guides. Isn't that there purpose to keep the rockers aligned? Secondly ,what's the opinion on those plastic pushrod checkers? I've read good and junk. I tryed the mark the valve tip and rotate the engine trick once. By preloading the the hyd.lifter more or less change the pushrod length? I admit i'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but i'm trying. Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert, just a good learner. But how my guide plates are done is: Do the push rod with the length checker as per directions and since they are sold in .050 increments choose the nearest one.

guide plates can be ground for side clearance, but they are made of really hard steel. How I do mine is one at a time and work around the motor. I spray the head side with brake clean and then apply a thin dab of permatex form a gasket sealant on the flat and on the screw in studs. install the guide with the screw in studs just tight enough that you can tap the plates left and right for alignment. install the 2 pushrods, 2 rockers, and set the lash. With no spark plugs in hit the starter to get a few seconds of rotations so they settle in. Check the lash. Then tap the guide plate left and right for equal clearance and then tighten down the rocker stud with a open end wrench. The permatex holds them in place and the studs never go loose.

Yes, you might have to clearance some of the guide plates is why I do them one at a time.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 PM
hamck
Instructor

Did you use the plastic doo dad or an adjustable pushrod or both?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:22 PM
hamck
Instructor

Sorry to beat a dead horse BUT I'm in the process of installing Dart SHP 180 heads I got awhile back and I can't get the rocker tip even close to the center of the valve tip. The exhaust side isn't bad but the intake pushrod hits the casting where it comes through. It looks like it needs material ground off to clear. If i grind it and break through into the intake port i'm screwed. HELP!! What do I do.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve train experts..... teach me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve train experts..... teach me