C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rag joint steering column question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 AM
tyrant
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

Default rag joint steering column question

when i pulled the body i took the rag joint out by a method i found online that i later found to by incorrect. It think i compressed my shaft. I have read that i need 4.75" of shaft showing. Where do i begin the measurement?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can see the 'witness' marks where the flange was located on the end of the shaft originally...CORRECT.

Put the flange back in that position....and then with it TIGHT to the column shaft...you can carefully tap it back to the steering coupling ( rag-joint) when you are going in with it....ONCE you have the column tight to the firewall and under mounting support brackets.

NOW...the potential problem is the bottom bearing can come out...so when you are tapping the flange to the coup-ling...keep an eye on it.

This is also assuming the no damage occurred to the bearings in the housing that your key switch is located...and MORE IMPORTANTLY is metal plate that is partially held in place by the mast jacket tube....where the pivot housing that holds your pivot pins are inserted into. I have seen the tabs bend and tear the steel when the column is beat in aggressively.

DUB
Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

What year?
What type of column? (i.e. Standard non-adjustable, telescoping only, or tilt & telescoping).

I can provide some dimensions from from the clamp or bearing face to the end of the steering column steering shaft if you can provide the above info.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 07-28-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 PM
tyrant
Pro

Dub, i was pulling on shaft and the bearing started to pull out. Got scared and stopped.
Jim, its a standard column I have about 4.5 inches from the bearing face. there is also a clamp next to the bearing that is at most .25 inches from bearing.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I assume that you have a 1969 Vette with a standard (non-adjustable) steering column.

The early 1969 Vette column had a clamp with about a 1/4 inch gap between it and the lower steering column bearing. From the edge of the clamp to the very end of the steering shaft was about 3.32 inches. The clamp was eliminated sometime during the 1969 model year.

Jim
Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM
tyrant
Pro

Jim, it is a early 1969. this as far as i can get shaft to move. The rag isn't perfect but I'm better than i was.

Get notified of new replies

To rag joint steering column question

Quick Reply: rag joint steering column question