C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R4 A/C compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:52 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default R4 A/C compressor question

The compressor that came with my '81 is long gone so I do not have it to compare; am seeing R4 compressors with switch and non switch;..?? Is this a low or high pressure switch that is in the back of the compressor or what??

The wiring diagram in the Service Manual does not show a switch in the compressor just the one that is in the line between compressor and dryer or accumulator.

And since R12 is also long gone....will the original condenser work with R134 or does that need to be replaced along with all the O rings? I have a new dryer / accumulator.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2014, 08:49 PM
chvet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to get the most out of this system change the condensor to a crossflpw style. Then convert to a Sanden compressor. You will get far colder 134 air that way.

I also recommend a C4 blower motor.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Okay Sanden 508 compressor....any chance these have the same bolt spacing as the original R4 style?

Off to search for a cross flow condenser.....

What is the advantage of a C4 blower motor?...more cfm?...do the blower resistors need to change to do this?
Does a C4 blower motor have the same shaft size so the fan will fit?

Off to search on this more as well.....

Last edited by LannyL81; 07-26-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM...ompressor.html

Many of the ac suppliers have systems that can upgrade your R4 to Sanden type compressor. Classic has a basic system with compressor, mounting brackets, hoses and filter. Also there is a under the hood system that includes a new condensor.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:47 AM
manfroni
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikep3
http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM...ompressor.html

Many of the ac suppliers have systems that can upgrade your R4 to Sanden type compressor. Classic has a basic system with compressor, mounting brackets, hoses and filter. Also there is a under the hood system that includes a new condensor.
I purchased a N.O.S. R4 compressor from a supplier on eBay. I also found the old freon there. Changed the dryer and all o rings and it works like new. You don't even feel the compressor go on. Don't forget to replace the squirrel cage with a C4 part.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

mike3pP I checked-out classicautoair.com but did not see anything for my '81 Corvette, only up to '76. Would I need to go to the universal kits?

manfroni: you were able to buy R12 off of ebay? I need to check this out!

I have a new R4 compressor sitting in a box that I bought probably 8 yrs ago, still sealed...but there is no switch or electrical connector on the back side of it, only the two pins for the clutch. I have yet to go looking for the electrical connectors for the compressor....and I do not remember if the one I took off had a connector on the back side or not. Still have not determined what this switch or non switch type is yet.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
mike3pP I checked-out classicautoair.com but did not see anything for my '81 Corvette, only up to '76. Would I need to go to the universal kits?

manfroni: you were able to buy R12 off of ebay? I need to check this out!

I have a new R4 compressor sitting in a box that I bought probably 8 yrs ago, still sealed...but there is no switch or electrical connector on the back side of it, only the two pins for the clutch. I have yet to go looking for the electrical connectors for the compressor....and I do not remember if the one I took off had a connector on the back side or not. Still have not determined what this switch or non switch type is yet.
First I would get an assembly manual for an 81. That will show the piping, wiring and pressure switches plus the connectors.
Classicair has complete systems for c3 to 76. The under the hood systems have just the pump and hoses. Their website is misleading at times.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

mikep3: yep got the assembly manual, just not 100% readable.

Will have to call Classicair and ask some questions.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
mikep3: yep got the assembly manual, just not 100% readable.

Will have to call Classicair and ask some questions.
I have been considering AC in my 80 and have the same problem. Classic auto air recommended the "Street Rod Cooler III". A kit they do not list on their site.

They sent me a PDF for the kit "document #1-1091" which is not on their site either. You can always email/call them to send it to you to see if it will work for you.

Good luck

Andy
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Seasoned80
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Parallel flow condenser

Originally Posted by Slotehog
I have been considering AC in my 80 and have the same problem. Classic auto air recommended the "Street Rod Cooler III". A kit they do not list on their site.

They sent me a PDF for the kit "document #1-1091" which is not on their site either. You can always email/call them to send it to you to see if it will work for you.

Good luck

Andy
Just received a parallel flow condenser from Classic Auto Air today. Not installed, but looks like it will fit perfectly. Prior upgrades include new barrier hoses and a Sanden style compressor and Allen Grove brackets. Plenty cool on the road, but really drops in traffic. New condenser should be big improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To R4 A/C compressor question

Quick Reply: R4 A/C compressor question