C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Connections

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM
wayneyada
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Connections

I have a 3-wire (+ground) alternator w/built-in regulator in my '74. Presume that's not what came with the car.

Re the connections - everything NON-Corvette I read says:

1. the main batt. connection on the alternator is constant 12v
2. #1 flat connector is switched 12 volt w/ignition
3. #2 connector is a jumper to the main batt. connection, so it is also constant 12v.

I actually hooked it up this way and everything seems to work fine.

However my Vette wiring diagram plus evidence in the car indicates that there are two separate wires running from the main batt. connection on alternator and the #1 flat connector - but BOTH go straight to the junction box and are both constant 12v.

Can that be right? If so, you might as well just run one wire to the alternator and jump the other two connections! Also, with power to the alternator constant, isn't there a probability that you can discharge the battery with the car off?

Thanks in advance for your input in helping me understand this.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

You may get more assistance if you post the drawing that you're looking at.....so we can call discuss the same thing.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wayneyada
I have a 3-wire (+ground) alternator w/built-in regulator in my '74. Presume that's not what came with the car.

Re the connections - everything NON-Corvette I read says:

1. the main batt. connection on the alternator is constant 12v
2. #1 flat connector is switched 12 volt w/ignition
3. #2 connector is a jumper to the main batt. connection, so it is also constant 12v.

I actually hooked it up this way and everything seems to work fine.

However my Vette wiring diagram plus evidence in the car indicates that there are two separate wires running from the main batt. connection on alternator and the #1 flat connector - but BOTH go straight to the junction box and are both constant 12v.

Can that be right? If so, you might as well just run one wire to the alternator and jump the other two connections! Also, with power to the alternator constant, isn't there a probability that you can discharge the battery with the car off?

Thanks in advance for your input in helping me understand this.
The two wires going inside go to the ammeter connections.

That should be the correct type alternator.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 PM
wayneyada
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
You may get more assistance if you post the drawing that you're looking at.....so we can call discuss the same thing.

Pix are my actual alternator connections, GM generic diagram, and my vette wiring diagram. FYI, the white wire coming off the alternator (spliced to red) connects to constant 12v through a fusible link. Needless to say, I WILL be cleaning up the wiring once I determine how I will connect it (remember this car was previous owned by a butcher!!)

Last edited by wayneyada; 07-26-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more specific detail
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The #1 terminal must be switched or the alternator will drain the battery.

The # terminal is the voltage sensing wire and the best place to connect it would be a junction block where other loads connect or the solenoid where the battery cable connects. It will work connected to the stud but there can be a bit of extra voltage drop in the wiring it won't be able to compensate for.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Connections

Quick Reply: Alternator Connections