C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seat belts for my 76

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM
BillyGags
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New seat belts for my 76

Hello all. I am in need of new seat belts for my vette. I took the seats out to see what was going on. Well the passenger side wasn't unlocking, so it never extending more than an inch. My passengers never had a seat belt, hence why nobody wants rides from me. Well as long as the driver seat belt is able to buckled right? Not exactly. While I am able to buckle my seat belt, it serves no purpose because when I pull on it hard simulating hard braking or god forbid a crash, it doesn't lock. It just keeps pulling out until the end of the belt. So, with all that said, again I need new seat belts. I am wondering if there are GM model cars with the same seat belt design as the 76 that are known to fit. My idea was to go to a pick and pull and take them off another car. Or do I just have to go looking around at the pick and pull and see what looks the same instead of trying to match it exactly. I want to try and avoid ordering sear belts online, because they cost a lot. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My seat belts don't work either. I can't tell you for sure if other cars' belts would work, though I have read something about people using the rear seat belts out of 3rd gen or 4th gen F-bodies. You might look into that.

ZipCorvette and CorvetteMods both have a reproduction set of dual-retractor seatbelts for right around $200, last time I checked. That's not too awful expensive, and they're brand new. They don't have the GM logo on them, but that's (at least part of) what keeps them from being over $400 a set.

About the expense, do keep in mind that anything "Corvette" is going to cost more than it would on some other car. It's just part of the cost of ownership. If you want original looks then you'll have to pony up the money for it, but in the end it's worth it.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to be really careful if you plan on buying some of the really inexpensive seat belt sets. The quality seemed to look good but the colors they show, are not necessarily for all of the years the belts are suppose to fit. I ordered a set of brown, company sent me saddle saying the brown did not fit my 76. Then they wanted to charge me a restocking fee to send me the color I didn't want, back. Took over a month to get the money back into my account but they finally did give me a full refund.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought Simpson harness' for mine.. The lap belts bolted right to the factory hard points....
Old 07-27-2014, 05:20 PM
BillyGags
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
My seat belts don't work either. I can't tell you for sure if other cars' belts would work, though I have read something about people using the rear seat belts out of 3rd gen or 4th gen F-bodies. You might look into that.

About the expense, do keep in mind that anything "Corvette" is going to cost more than it would on some other car. It's just part of the cost of ownership. If you want original looks then you'll have to pony up the money for it, but in the end it's worth it.
I will look into the belts from the 3rd gen and 4th gen F-bodies. I guess what else I need to know is how interchangeable parts are for 70's vettes. Like if it NEEDS to be 76 or if it can be 77 or 75 or what have you...

As for as the cost of Corvettes, I know man. I'm just trying to not just give up and buy straight from online. I wanna try and find seat belts that would work on the parts for sale portion of the forum or at a car meet or something before I just go and buy some brand new **** ya know.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM
BillyGags
Intermediate

Originally Posted by U17
I bought Simpson harness' for mine.. The lap belts bolted right to the factory hard points....
Yeah man, I not really a racer. So it's not the look I would be going for...

Get notified of new replies

To New seat belts for my 76

Quick Reply: New seat belts for my 76