C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 AM
Bailegb
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood adjustment

On my 79 the hood is not adjusted correctly. The rear does not seem to be aligned with the fenders. Is there a proper way to check the alignment?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailegb
On my 79 the hood is not adjusted correctly. The rear does not seem to be aligned with the fenders. Is there a proper way to check the alignment?
is it sticking up at the corners? I just did mine and put the new rubber bumpers underneath. I also remove one of the shims off the hood latch and it is smooth all the way down and even with the fenders.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Is there a proper way to check the alignment?...
Eyeball. If it looks like it's not fitting\aligned, it probably isn't. Post pics.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Bailegb
Heel & Toe

Here is a picture.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 PM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have 4 rubber bumpers that the hood closes down on? I just replaced all 4 of mine. then on the passenger side I remove a thin shim from the underside of the hood and leveled it out.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a common issue on the later model C3s. My '77 has the same issue at the rear corners. On mine there are only two square rubber bumpers in the fender top lips. They hold up the rear of the hood slightly out of alignment. I can also see from your picture that the central part of the hood is lower than the fenders. Mine again is the same. If I cut down the rubber bumpers the central section would be even lower than it is now. You may be able to raise the front of the hood with hood hinge shims then trim the bumpers which would lower the rear corners. On my black car this is not very noticeable. Good luck with it. mike...
Old 07-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Bailegb
Heel & Toe

I don't have the 4 rubber bumpers but I can see where they go. Where is a good place to order parts from?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't have the 4 rubber bumpers but I can see where they go. Where is a good place to order parts from?
The Corvette aftermarket providers carry these. ZIP lists them. Other providers will have them.

Placement in the rain gutters is trial and error, so be patient.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Bailegb
Heel & Toe

I'll order the bumpers and might as well get a new hood seal also. Thanks for everyone's help, I will post pictures after the work is done.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The rubber bumper stops may help you. But I would take a very close look at the under structure of the hood and look for any signs of distressed fiberglass or cracks. If you see cracks in the under structure....you might be fighting a loosing battle.

One tip: IF the hood is lower than the top hood surround panel...above your wheel area...that is where I would begin placing the stops. This will cause the hood to have a pivot point or fulcrum so it will lower the ends (tips) of the hood when closed.

AND...when I am doing this...when the hood is shut...I check to make sure the hood is FLUSH right beside where the hood latches are located. IF the hood is FLUSH with the top hood surround at the hood latch areas.

This is ASSUMING that the hood is flush at the hood hinge area. I do not like to see the hood being higher than the top hood surround panel by the hood hinges.

Not wanting to put BAD MOJO on this...but I have dealt with so many like that and there is a crack or problem under the hood due to age or some 'brainiac' pulling up hard on the hood when it was not unlatched.

I truly hope that it goes well for you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hood adjustment

Quick Reply: Hood adjustment