C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68' water pump belt question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM
greggome
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 68' water pump belt question

I just put on a new water pump belt. My old brittle one from 20 years ago that i just pulled off has a Gate # of 7325 which Gate tells me they have the same belt # now as well (and is listed as the replacement # for the original GM part). I measure both belts and they are very close but the new one comes out about 1/16" longer (I figured this might be due to my old belt having some shrinkage). I have installed the new one, and since there is no tension adjustment on the 68' it has to fit correct. The belt seems a bit lose to me. With the alternator belt off I can rotate the fan/pulley assembly with my hand. The belt offers some resistance but does not prevent me from turning the water pump pulley assembly without the belt moving with it. (of course the lower crank shaft pulley does not move during this so the belt just slips on the upper water pump pulley.) I am concerned this is not a proper fit but this is the belt size 33 1/8" that references with the GM #3935420. Anyone have experience with this and the proper belt tension?

Quick Reply: 68' water pump belt question