C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 Water pump pulley size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 77 Water pump pulley size?

I need to change my water pump pulley, it is bent and wobbling.

I ordered one from Ecklers. The only one they had listed for the 77. Installed it and it is too deep. End of the pulley touches the engine.

Measuring both the Ecklers one is 3 inches measured from the bottom to top of the metal at the center hole. Stock one measures 2 3/4 from the pulley end to the top of the metal at center hole. Measured by putting a rod down in the hole while the pulley is lying flat.

I have A/C. Stock pulley also has the small third pulley near the fan but it is not connected and I don't need or want it. Just looking for a two belt water pump pulley. L48

Not wanting to make it too complex but how do I measure "Depth" of the pulley to order the right one? Is it as I measured it or is it depth from top of the pulley to the inside surface? Difference would be 1/4 inch or so. So I might need a 2 3/4 one or a 2 1/2 one.

What is the stock measurement?

Does anyone know of a source for one? Any forum vendors have one? I was surprised local auto parts stores couldn't order one and NAPA even said it is not available.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
I need to change my water pump pulley, it is bent and wobbling.

I ordered one from Ecklers. The only one they had listed for the 77. Installed it and it is too deep. End of the pulley touches the engine.

Measuring both the Ecklers one is 3 inches measured from the bottom to top of the metal at the center hole. Stock one measures 2 3/4 from the pulley end to the top of the metal at center hole. Measured by putting a rod down in the hole while the pulley is lying flat.

I have A/C. Stock pulley also has the small third pulley near the fan but it is not connected and I don't need or want it. Just looking for a two belt water pump pulley. L48

Not wanting to make it too complex but how do I measure "Depth" of the pulley to order the right one? Is it as I measured it or is it depth from top of the pulley to the inside surface? Difference would be 1/4 inch or so. So I might need a 2 3/4 one or a 2 1/2 one.

What is the stock measurement?

Does anyone know of a source for one? Any forum vendors have one? I was surprised local auto parts stores couldn't order one and NAPA even said it is not available.
Mine is 3 inches.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 AM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 77 wobbles a tad too , was considering replacing mine eventually
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
Mine is 3 inches.
Is it 3 inches from the top of the pulley to the bottom. For example measured by having it on the car and using a ruler to check front to back?

Ot was it measured as strict "Depth" from top of the pulley lying open side up and down to the bottom of the "Bowl"

Reason is to order one it states "Depth" as the for me critical measurement.

My stock one was 2 3/4 as if measured on the car front to back.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
Is it 3 inches from the top of the pulley to the bottom. For example measured by having it on the car and using a ruler to check front to back?

Ot was it measured as strict "Depth" from top of the pulley lying open side up and down to the bottom of the "Bowl"

Reason is to order one it states "Depth" as the for me critical measurement.

My stock one was 2 3/4 as if measured on the car front to back.
From the top (outside) of the pulley to the bottom.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Trans-Dapt 8605 is the pulley that fit. Summit Racing. Service was good and they even went and got the parts and made a measurement for me. First one that came up looking like it would fit clearly wouldn't have, too long.

Get notified of new replies

To 77 Water pump pulley size?

Quick Reply: 77 Water pump pulley size?