C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Build Thread (Better late than never). PHOTO INTENSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Jartanyon
Thanks everyone - I appreciate the comments!

@ bluedawg - no worries. I figured this would spark up some of those old discussions. I am interested in the results as well. I spent about a week not only port matching those manifolds to the heads, but I also ported the inside out very well to get them to flow better. Should be interesting.

@ claysmoker - The machinist originally quoted me $350 to clean the block, hone, polish the crank, new plugs, new mains and new cam bearings, clean pistons and new rings. I thought that was a great deal! When I went to pick it up, he did everything except flush out the water passages, cam bearings, piston grooves and rings and we were now at $405. Instead of arguing with him, I just paid him. He did a great job on everything else, just wasn't true to his word with the original work and cost. Nice guy, though.
Too bad he didn't make his end of the deal right, regardless of whether he's a nice guy or not!

Good luck with your new toy, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by claysmoker

Too bad he didn't make his end of the deal right, regardless of whether he's a nice guy or not!
No doubt. What happened to the days of I quoted you for the work and if it took me more to do what I quoted then that's my fault not yours. I hate that sh!+.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by bluedawg
No doubt. What happened to the days of I quoted you for the work and if it took me more to do what I quoted then that's my fault not yours. I hate that sh!+.
Yup! I always stuck by my quotes to customers even if I screwed up and it ended up costing me. And most of my business was repeat customers that came back for more during the 25 years I was around.

If a business quotes me a price then tries to weasel more out of me, that's the last they see of my dollars. If businesses would realize that quoting on the high side then coming in under the estimate did wonders for their image, they would be better off.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear you guys - I am the same way. As I said in another thread...them good ol days where people did the right thing are long gone. Live and learn, I guess.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by claysmoker
Yup! I always stuck by my quotes to customers even if I screwed up and it ended up costing me. And most of my business was repeat customers that came back for more during the 25 years I was around.

If a business quotes me a price then tries to weasel more out of me, that's the last they see of my dollars. If businesses would realize that quoting on the high side then coming in under the estimate did wonders for their image, they would be better off.
I hear you guys - I am the same way. As I said in another thread...them good ol days where people did the right thing are long gone. Live and learn, I guess.
Word of mouth does awesome things in both directions, be known as honorable and honest and you'll have to hire help to keep up with the bussines, dishonor and dishonesty will cause closed doors and bankruptcy.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Any issues with the 1094 gasket and aluminium heads?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedawg
That should be 400 horse at the crank.
Very small cam The stock L-82 numbers............
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull

Very small cam The stock L-82 numbers............
About the same size cam that afr has on their Web site making 420 horse. I'm afraid that the manifolds albeit 2.5" will choke some of horse power out of it. The op wants to stay with the manifolds. On an interesting note he's going to chassis dyno tune so it will be interesting to see what it puts out.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
No problems so far, but I wont know for sure until I rip the heads off and I dont plan on doing that any time soon! A lot of guys run them with AFR's and no issues. AFR recommends a different one with an actually coating, but then the ideal quench is gone. When I called Felpro about the 1094, they said it was a clear coating (uh huh...its a steel shim) on it and will be fine. Time will tell, I guess.

@ gkull - No doubt a small cam compared to many, but a great cam for an auto and what I was looking for (low to mid). Some say that it is then a mismatch with the heads, but I dont see it that way. The extra money spent on the heads was well worth it considering their flow and the other pieces of junk I went through before (all in another thread). They leave plenty of room to grow if I choose to do so. I am, however, looking into a single pattern grind that is a little bigger and will work with my future 3.73 gear. I am open to any suggestions.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Flyinace3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
This last winter I used the 1094 on my 350 with dart ALU head and they leaked right from the start. This was on a new gm block and the head were new as well. Did a compression check after a few miles found 5 & 7 were down to185-190psi and the rest were 210psi. Every spark plug was green as well. I am now using the gm .028 graphite gasket and so far they are working well. Being paranoid now about a blown head gasket ive been running compression checks and radiator pressure checks frequently.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Here are a few more photos. Was gonna wait on the rear suspension until winter, but a really bad passenger TA said otherwise. Saving the differential for another day, though.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Looking good, you gonna have it on the road this week?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

No problems so far, but I wont know for sure until I rip the heads off and I dont plan on doing that any time soon! A lot of guys run them with AFR's and no issues. AFR recommends a different one with an actually coating, but then the ideal quench is gone. When I called Felpro about the 1094, they said it was a clear coating (uh huh...its a steel shim) on it and will be fine. Time will tell, I guess.

@ gkull - No doubt a small cam compared to many, but a great cam for an auto and what I was looking for (low to mid). Some say that it is then a mismatch with the heads, but I dont see it that way. The extra money spent on the heads was well worth it considering their flow and the other pieces of junk I went through before (all in another thread). They leave plenty of room to grow if I choose to do so. I am, however, looking into a single pattern grind that is a little bigger and will work with my future 3.73 gear. I am open to any suggestions.
I just rebuilt my L-82 with AFR 180 heads and the Felpro 1094 gasket on the recommendation of forum members and my short block builder agreed. I coated both side of the gasket with Aviation sealer (NAPA form a gasket)-builders recommendation-zero leaks.

The L-82 is a 355 now reusing the stock L-82 aluminum intake and shorty headers with a roller cam (.525 lift). The freakin car is FAST. Had it out today and punching it in 2 or 3rd gear (4 speed) lifts the nose with a 360 composite rear spring and Bilstein Sports in the rear/550 front springs with Bilstein HD's. Don't worry about the ram horn 2.5 inch manifolds. You will be fine.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 08-24-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
Looking good, you gonna have it on the road this week?
Thanks Dean! I hope to - my goal was by the end of the month so I am a little ahead of schedule (never happens with this car ). Most likely by Wednesday I will take it out for a spin.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I just rebuilt my L-82 with AFR 180 heads and the Felpro 1094 gasket on the recommendation of forum members and my short block builder agreed. I coated both side of the gasket with Aviation sealer (NAPA form a gasket)-builders recommendation-zero leaks.
I used Permatex spray a gasket on both sides and no leaks as well. I have heard of others using nothing and having leaks and I have heard of some using an spray gasket and having leaks. I think it comes down to how clean your deck and heads are before assembly.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:42 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you have any issues connecting tranny cooling lines?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by nspctr01
did you have any issues connecting tranny cooling lines?
Not particularly - why do you ask?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default builr

Hey J the pictures are great and the results are awesome. Doing a great job on the details and the little things. Keep up the nice work. I am doing a 69 same color silver. Looks good.
R
Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hey J the pictures are great and the results are awesome. Doing a great job on the details and the little things. Keep up the nice work. I am doing a 69 same color silver. Looks good.
R
Thanks! Good luck with yours.

Quick Reply: My Build Thread (Better late than never). PHOTO INTENSE