C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn and brakes same fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 AM
rlsterling3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn and brakes same fuse?

Hey all. Trying to figure this one out. I've been blowing fuses like crazy. Something happens where the horn sins then the fuse blows, then I have no brake lights. Anyone experienced this? Don't like driving because I never know when my brake lights will work. Could really use a hand here, speed to take a drive to Milwaukee with the wife this weekend and I'd love to take the Vette. Hope I can get some ideas here
Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

This is an 81, right? It's probably wired the same as my 78. Horn and stop lights on the same fuse. I had this same issue. One of my horns was dead.

I troubleshooted it by unplugging the horns one at a time. With one horn disconnected, I got a honk. With the other horn disconnected, I could only hear the relay click. So that horn was dead and was drawing enough amps to kill the fuse when both horns were connected. You could also have a short in the wiring.

I had the pair rebuilt by "The Horn Works", they did a great job. Alternately, you can purchase replacements.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My horn didn't work til I replaced the rag joint... Either from me completing a ground through the joint... Or manhandling the column when I pulled it back to separate the two for RnR... Could always trace to a ground issue somewhere if it isn't what shark described...
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
rlsterling3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
This is an 81, right? It's probably wired the same as my 78. Horn and stop lights on the same fuse. I had this same issue. One of my horns was dead.

I troubleshooted it by unplugging the horns one at a time. With one horn disconnected, I got a honk. With the other horn disconnected, I could only hear the relay click. So that horn was dead and was drawing enough amps to kill the fuse when both horns were connected. You could also have a short in the wiring.

I had the pair rebuilt by "The Horn Works", they did a great job. Alternately, you can purchase replacements.
Never even thought of the horns not working! So I'll have to test them. Not a lot of time to track down shorts or anything, I'm leaving Friday morning! It would be really nice to be able to drive it this weekend
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rlsterling3
Never even thought of the horns not working! So I'll have to test them. Not a lot of time to track down shorts or anything, I'm leaving Friday morning! It would be really nice to be able to drive it this weekend
Don't forget to check the horn relay. Caution; it's always hot from the battery. It could be shorting out inside, so if it's original, just replace it.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by FireballXL5
My horn didn't work til I replaced the rag joint... Either from me completing a ground through the joint... Or manhandling the column when I pulled it back to separate the two for RnR... Could always trace to a ground issue somewhere if it isn't what shark described...
If this was the case the circuit wouldn't close and neither the horns nor the fuse would blow.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn and brakes same fuse?

Quick Reply: Horn and brakes same fuse?