C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ttop repair with tape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM
rlsterling3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ttop repair with tape?

I've been reading about the 3m Vhb (very high bond) tape. people have used it for attaching spoilers to cars, repairing trailers etc. In wondering if this could be used on our ttop? Both mine have seperated from the frame and I've tried fixing it with 3m m window weld with no luck. I'm attempting one more time this week but if this fails I'm wondering what to do next. Anyone heard of any ttop repairs with this stuff? Maybe I'll be the guinea pig on this one... Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If it's not under a lot of stress it should work. Follow directions to the letter!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Are these the mirrored GLASS T-tops??? of Fiberglass/painted t-tops???

More than likely the mirrored glass T-tops.

I...personally would NOT use the tape....but it is your car....so do as you feel makes you happy.

And..more than likely the window-weld is failing due to you are not able to properly CLEAN and apply the required primer to make the window-weld adhere.

If your car came into my shop...and trust me...I can do an awful lot on a Corvette...but in this scenario...I would box them up and send them off to be bonded back on by the company I use that does t-tops.

DUB
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

I actually do some marine canvas work and we have bonded polycarbonate panels to canvas, and the VHB tape will eventually fail. Not so much the tape, but the material it is taped to. We see it over time when wind, then water gets in there. And that's on a boat doing maybe 20-30mph.Cleaning and priming are critical, but I don't know if I would want to be the guy driving down the road when the t top blows off at 60MPH. Just my $.02.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I actually do some marine canvas work and we have bonded polycarbonate panels to canvas, and the VHB tape will eventually fail. Not so much the tape, but the material it is taped to. We see it over time when wind, then water gets in there. And that's on a boat doing maybe 20-30mph.Cleaning and priming are critical, but I don't know if I would want to be the guy driving down the road when the t top blows off at 60MPH. Just my $.02.
Thank you!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Ttop repair with tape?

Quick Reply: Ttop repair with tape?