C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KYB vs Bilstein?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK! Great info!

Thanks!
R
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
I've had both. There is no comparison. The Bilsteins are way, way superior in every way.
I picked mine up from Willcox when they had a 15% off sale.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Factor
Thanks guys! Great info!

Brcmpbl-
Why bilstein sports?
Did u lower ur car?

According to Bilstein, sports r engineered specifically for lowered suspension systems. They improve their handling. If not lowered, sports will roughen the ride on a stock height suspension. They advise the best stock to control at stock height is the HD.

I do plan on HDs...but anyone try HD vs sports?
With stock height??

Thx
Ron
I haven't tried the hds but the sports made my 38 year old vettes handling fill more planted and some what modern. I think the difference is firmness.

Last edited by bluedawg; 07-22-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I had KYB with the special valving for composite spring and never did think it was correct. Switched to Koni's and stiffened them up 1/2 half turn and the rear feels the way it should.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys!

Ok...since rear bilstein HDs r on backorder til october (may b able to pay little more to get sooner)...but r they really better than KYBs?

Kybs r avail now...just thinking out loud...

Did full zip corvette upgrade susp...not lowered...

What u guys think?
Not all KYB's are equal, the gas-a-justs are MUCH better shocks than the GR2's. So, when people are talking about Bilsteins being much better than KYB's, they are talking about the GR2's.

If you drive your car normally, I doubt you would notice the difference between gas-a-justs, and HD's.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks. They make that much difference?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
Not all KYB's are equal, the gas-a-justs are MUCH better shocks than the GR2's. So, when people are talking about Bilsteins being much better than KYB's, they are talking about the GR2's.

If you drive your car normally, I doubt you would notice the difference between gas-a-justs, and HD's.
I started with KYB gas-a-justs, then went with GR2s as they were supposed to fix the rear bounce with a fiberglass spring. They didn't. Now have Bilstein HD's. I stand by my original comment above that there's no comparison. The Bilsteins ride & handle much better.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have had the OEM delcos with the F-41 suspension-steel rear spring and switched to KYB Gas A Just for the rear with the steel spring and the gas A Just were OK. In 1986 I put on a VBP 360 mono spring and kept the KYB Gas A Just-bad move. Way too bouncy. On the subject of KYB's, they are a tad better than mass market shocks-Gas A Just and GR-2's-don't think for a second, KYB's-both of them- are anywhere near a Bilstein, they are not-Not even close!

I had a set of KYB GR-2's on my 2001 Grand Prix and was extremely disappointed-They were way softer than the OEM Delcos. I totally don't buy the special valved Gr-2's for a monospring. The GR-2 is a mass market shock/strut and will never be a Bilstein. Last fall I put a set of Monroe Sensatrac Police/Taxi Struts from a 2001 Impala Police pkg car all around on the GP in place of the GR-2's and they have transformed the car-It rides and handles great.

In 2005, I switched finally to Bilstein HD's all around with the 360 rear spring and 550 fronts. I still felt the HD's were a bit too soft for my taste but a GREAT shock compared to the OEM Delcos, KYB Gas A Just, and I also had a set of oil Koni's in those 30 years as well. About 5 years ago I put on a set of Bisltein Sports in the rear only (the Sports are 30% stiffer than the HD's) and left the HD's with the 550 front spring since they are pretty stiff. The car rides, handles, and has great steering response-Its awesome!!! The ride is firm but NOT overly stiff-just planted and actually very comfortable. You would never know my C3 has a 360 spring, Bilstein Hd/Sports, 550 front springs etc. I often chuckle when I read folks want a 290 rear steel spring or 300 front springs-not the way to go with these cars. Karol on the forum was recently in my 78 L-82 and he could not believe how much BETTER my car rides than his stock base suspended 78.

I also have a spreader bar in front and EVERY C3 should have a spreader bar to tighten up the frame flex in the front. Three things to transform a C3 handing/ride:

1. Bilsteins-all around-your choice about HD's or Sports
2. Front Spreader bar
3. Competition Heim Jointed adjustable strut rods-NO BUSHINGS to flex

With the suspension above, custom blueprinted/rebuilt OEM steering box (by you all know who), 255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance summer only tires, and NOW the recently installed rebuilt L-82 355 roller cammed/AFR head engine, the car truly is a modern sports car. These cars can be made to modern standards-it just takes time, money and know how.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 07-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I run KYB GR-2 in front and KYB in rear. Installed in 2005... 9 years of street driving and handling is excellent. Very stable ride and they don't bounce like the tired Gabriels I removed. The car is not road raced or drag raced.

NOTE: Both front and rear suspension systems are in above average condtion on my L48. Makes for consistent and trustworthy handling.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!!!

Jbl82- Does the spreader bar help primarily w cornering? Weight transfer? Or basically just tightening up the car?
Pm too
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys!!!

Jbl82- Does the spreader bar help primarily w cornering? Weight transfer? Or basically just tightening up the car?
Pm too
The spreader bar was noticeable immediately after I put in on the car and left the driveway. My road is relatively smooth but with some minor waviness. The bar stopped chassis squeakiness, made the suspension more responsive, tightened steering response and made the handling more precise/predicative. No noticeable change in weight transfer
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Papa
The gray GR2 units are what I am using; they are still too soft in the rear.

There are two different KYB GR2 shocks for the rear. The first has standard valving and is soft and lacks rebound control when used with a fiberglass spring. The second, available from VB&P, has greatly improved damping. Neither is a 'feel every change in the road' shock, but the second gives both a decent ride while controlling the rear end so it doesn't keep bobbing up and down like the white KYB monotube shock did.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Jeff...I read something that the spreader bar will not work with a BBC?
also must have electric cooling fans...good there...but ONLY on SBC?

R
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

sooo...it looks like it will ONLY Work with a BBC if electric fans AND MANUAL steering...
Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

skip both and get Ridetech shocks
Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

R
Ron,

I think that the spreader bar works only on SBC engines but not sure. Speedirect can can help you as well as others on the forum with BBC.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2014, 07:23 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

R
I have a BBC w/ PS and electric fans. The VBP spreader bar fits fine.

Get notified of new replies

To KYB vs Bilstein?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

skip all the crappy non adjustable shocks. If you are cheap go with Koni. which are are only 3 position shocks or get the best like these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ha...model/corvette
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

A+ for Koni! For almost the same money the Koni adjustable rebound shock dials in great
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Thanks zwede!

VBP has some promising info on their site about the bar...waiting on an email.

Thanks for info on brands...I am going with Bilstein...not completely sure if HD or sports....
please see my other thread for my other part breakdown affecting my decision.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: KYB vs Bilstein?