C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Establishing your initial timing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Originally Posted by KJL
I like the idea of a programmable distributor provided it doesn't require 10 miles of wire harnesses, who makes them? Also, my statement requiring 85+ was based on plugging the primary PV for experimentation. I am currently running a 78 for my primaries.
the MSD E-Curve is a 3 wire hookup with external coil

Neal
Old 07-24-2014, 12:27 PM
FlyLS6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Initial

Originally Posted by KJL
Sorry, my public school math has failed me again, that should read 20*. That is just an example. Yes 900 to 1000 rpm is my idle. Oh and my combination is not stock so 9" hg vacuum is not too bad. Need to keep it steady however or the power valves will flutter and the car will idle very rich. I guess my question is, is there a rule of thumb for establishing you initial advance?
My 454 car idles with about 12" so it's not as radical as yours (only 350 rwhp), but it's running 21*, vacuum hooked up, and 17* initial. 10.2 compression with 188 open chamber heads and never any detonation. Idles fine. Best thing I ever did, however, was dyno it to get basic A/F and jet from that. Carb is a 770 SA with 72s in front and 77s in rear, as I recall.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:34 PM
FlyLS6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 950

Originally Posted by KJL
Now that is interesting. I have PVs in both my primary and secondary bowls. Been chasing tune for a couple of years now, the best investment i ever made was a LM-1000 wide band O2 analyzer. When I dyno my car, I log my own O2, RPM and vacuum on my lap top in the car and watch it real time. Its time to get a correct carb for the car. I have been running a 830 CFM marine carb for years. Looking to go to a 950 Holley.
How about a "real" 950 from 1968?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymans 77

Neal
I looked at it and downloaded the installation PDF. Looks interesting, the example they give, I couldn't figure out how to make the numbers add up using the tables they provide. Also seems to limit distributor advance selection to 4 total advances, 10, 15, 20 and 25 degrees. They could have added a little more detail and maybe a couple more examples. I wonder if one can set the dials to anywhere between the numbers for infinite selections between 0-25* for the "Electronic Centrifugal Advance"?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MSD E-Curve Dist.pdf (902.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by KJL; 07-24-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:20 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by KJL
I looked at it and downloaded the installation PDF. Looks interesting, the example they give, I couldn't figure out how to make the numbers add up using the tables they provide. Also seems to limit distributor advance selection to 4 total advances, 10, 15, 20 and 25 degrees. They could have added a little more detail and maybe a couple more examples. I wonder if one can set the dials to anywhere between the numbers for infinite selections between 0-25* for the "Electronic Centrifugal Advance"?
I believe you can program your own custom advance curve so you don't need their canned maps. Mallory also sells a similar dist'r. I like the Mallory one myself.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie

I believe you can program your own custom advance curve so you don't need their canned maps. Mallory also sells a similar dist'r. I like the Mallory one myself.
From what I read there's like 27 curves to choose from, custom would be nice.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bluedawg
From what I read there's like 27 curves to choose from, custom would be nice.
Hmmmm....interesting. I see four families of advance curves not counting lock out or vacuum. 1 each for each of the four advances I list above. For each one of the 4 total advances there are 4 different rpm values the advance will all be in by. That is 12 different possibilities but still only 4 mechanical advances to chose from. I cant make the numbers add up in their example so I obviously am missing something.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Neal
The E-curve is a POS. 100 possible choices and maybe 6 are usable. It was not made well and they have not fixed it to my knowledge.

Example on mine the steps are 5 degree increments. They need to be finer like 2 degree in the common range. Not 0 -50 degree mechanical advance in 5 degree changes. It is the same with the vacuum advance.........
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Originally Posted by gkull
The E-curve is a POS. 100 possible choices and maybe 6 are usable. It was not made well and they have not fixed it to my knowledge.

Example on mine the steps are 5 degree increments. They need to be finer like 2 degree in the common range. Not 0 -50 degree mechanical advance in 5 degree changes. It is the same with the vacuum advance.........
Thats your opinion and I'm OK with it, but do explain. If you don't like it due to what you call only 6 possible usable curve choices then it just does not fit your needs. Sounds like you need an adjustable ignition box that is PC programmable. Trust me if MSD felt that it only needed 6 possible curves to address every possible scenario then that is all it would have.

There is a limit to what it can do but for the price its not a bad deal. The next step in adjust ability is the programmable box with good software but I really don't see where the street driven car with a mild SB or BB needs the adjustable box.

The E-Curve is a great dissy for what it is, it includes a rev limiter, 3 wire hookup and a multitude of advance curves to tryout simply by removing the cap and turning a couple dials. If you are running a separate ignition box, you don't have to with the e-curve.

An added feature of running the E-curve is if the ignition box fails you can bypass the box and the car will run with just the dissy.

The instructions for the E-curve are lacking, you need to set the the dissy at the total advance you want including vacuum then work backwards. If you want your total to be 36* without vacuum then set the dissy at 36* and decide what initial you want, say you want 16* initial so you would use the 20* chart. The dissy will take out 20* at start up and add it back in based on the curve you select.

Neal
Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Thats your opinion and I'm OK with it, but do explain. If you don't like it due to what you call only 6 possible usable curve choices then it just does not fit your needs. Sounds like you need an adjustable ignition box that is PC programmable. Trust me if MSD felt that it only needed 6 possible curves to address every possible scenario then that is all it would have.

There is a limit to what it can do but for the price its not a bad deal. The next step in adjust ability is the programmable box with good software but I really don't see where the street driven car with a mild SB or BB needs the adjustable box.

The E-Curve is a great dissy for what it is, it includes a rev limiter, 3 wire hookup and a multitude of advance curves to tryout simply by removing the cap and turning a couple dials. If you are running a separate ignition box, you don't have to with the e-curve.

An added feature of running the E-curve is if the ignition box fails you can bypass the box and the car will run with just the dissy.

The instructions for the E-curve are lacking, you need to set the the dissy at the total advance you want including vacuum then work backwards. If you want your total to be 36* without vacuum then set the dissy at 36* and decide what initial you want, say you want 16* initial so you would use the 20* chart. The dissy will take out 20* at start up and add it back in based on the curve you select.

Neal
I've had the e-curve for 4 years or so and i think that the crane adjustable dizzy is a better product
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I ran into the whole power valve issue even got into a heated argument or two here on the forum about it. I ended up plugging both valves and squaring up. Idles like a champ and no stumble or stutter.
I had nothing but problems with Power valves running a 6-71 blower on a stroked 350. Sold the standard Holley's and bought 2 external controlled power valves 600 duel feed d-pumper Holley's carbs drilled a line in at the manifold pop off valves to get the vacuum to control them. Works great!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:21 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkull
I had a discussion with the forum expert "Lars" over the weekend and we agree on timing settings.

Do you have high VE, modern fast burn heads, good A/F ratio, indexed or multi tip plugs? Or possibly even a car with OD driven at lower rpm creating higher cylinder pressures

Yes, to the above questions would require 3000 3200 all in
you did not respond to this, but too early timing beats the crud out of your main and rod barrings from over pressure

Even if you don't have noticeable ping/knock. I've rebuild a few hot rod motors that had all the coating gone down to the copper. Those motors were working against them selves even with higher octane
Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tim 1973

I had nothing but problems with Power valves running a 6-71 blower on a stroked 350. Sold the standard Holley's and bought 2 external controlled power valves 600 duel feed d-pumper Holley's carbs drilled a line in at the manifold pop off valves to get the vacuum to control them. Works great!
I've seen blown applications both ways.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
I like the idea of a programmable distributor provided it doesn't require 10 miles of wire harnesses, who makes them? Also, my statement requiring 85+ was based on plugging the primary PV for experimentation. I am currently running a 78 for my primaries.

What made you select 18* as you initial value? I did exactly what you have done but I came up with 21 initial and 15 mechanical. I based my decision on idle quality and A/F ratios. I experimented with several lower values but the idle was just to rough. Sounded like I had some sort of mega race cam or something.
Have a look at this system then, its not made in the good old USA but seems to fit your requirements -
http://www.aldonamethyst.co.uk/
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Have a look at this system then, its not made in the good old USA but seems to fit your requirements -
http://www.aldonamethyst.co.uk/
This is very interesting. I will look into this further. Seems like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KJL

This is very interesting. I will look into this further. Seems like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.
Did you try plugging the power valves?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Did you try plugging the power valves?
No, decided to pull engine and rebuild it. Likely going to go to newer proper sized carb for my new combination.

Get notified of new replies

To Establishing your initial timing question

Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KJL

No, decided to pull engine and rebuild it. Likely going to go to newer proper sized carb for my new combination.
How many miles did you have on it?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

How many miles did you have on it?
Not many. Maybe 10,000 at the most. I built it about 8 years ago but knowledge and technology has grown regarding large displacement small blocks. I have the block and rotating assembly at engine shop for a complete evaluation. Looking to go from a 427 to a 434. Don't ask why,....just woke up one day with a hair across my a$$ to do it and pulled the engine. Going to be a high dollar build. Seeing what Paul had accomplished with his 427 build has inspired me to re-discover my hobby. Due to an unexpected layoff, I put my life on hold for the last 8 years to re-establish myself into a new career. I am ready to blow the dust off my tools and start having some fun again and thought this would be a great way to jump start it.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm running 24 degrees initial with the lightest springs all in by 2500. An adjustable mechanical would be nice other than bushings, I've been looking at the msd ecurve but I'm not for sure it would fit behind the blower I got in the garage if I ever end up going that route, programable curves with no box would be nice.
I have been using the 6AL2 programable with my GM ZZ383. I love the idea about any curve you want. I have changed my curves while driving. The MSD programables work in reverse, they dont advance the timing but retard from a fixed point, so you need a locked out dist. I start with 42 total, remove 10 from the MAP sensor and additional 20 from the run curve and ramp up to 0 retard by 2900. So I get inital timing about 12 under load (22 at idle no load from MAP Sensor ) WOT 12 at 1100 and ramp up to 32 at 2900. You can make any curve you want but only a max of 25 degree retard. You also may need an adjustable rotor to deal with rotor phasing problems.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 08-16-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Establishing your initial timing question