C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Fan Shroud Mounting

Old 07-25-2014, 12:43 AM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Yep. 68 and 69 brackets are slightly different from later cars. Nothing more than a pair of Ls.
There is no slot for the "L" bracket in the crossmember. I'm thinking the drawing is wrong.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red Vert 02
Hi John,
The new 68-69 NCRS TIM&JG says 69 350HP without A/C could be either Copper or Aluminum. Rich Bizzocos book also discusses 69 L46 with copper radiators. My late production 69 L46 has the copper radiator. The problem today is no one is reproducing a correct copper radiator for this application. You could have yours recored.
Hi- I see what you mean in the Bizzocco book now that I have it. I have a late 69 L46/manual no A/C. Based on my research this looks like it would be a 26" copper core radiator with a plastic shroud. Unfortunately the Paragon Catalog has multiple plastic shrouds so I;m not sure which one to get. Does yours have a part number visible? I see that Corvette Cental has a 26" copper radiator so I was thinkuing about getting that one?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 AM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 127 Posts

My early 69' L46 has the aluminum radiator with the metal shroud. Unfortunately I cannot take any pics right now as the car is disassembled.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 321 Posts

jyoconnell, You seem to have missed the important point that on 68 & 69 corvettes, there is an additional, large metal baffle installed between the cross member and the radiator. The round metal fan shroud "L" brackets went through two slots cut in the baffle. You probably are missing this baffle, and it has not been reproduced, to my knowledge. I hope that this helps you understand how the round shroud mounts. Lou.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
69vette19467
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default RE: My previous post #12

These 3 pics show what I described in the post.

The mounting tabs are in front of the crossmember.

Left side.

Right side.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 AM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by loup68
jyoconnell, You seem to have missed the important point that on 68 & 69 corvettes, there is an additional, large metal baffle installed between the cross member and the radiator. The round metal fan shroud "L" brackets went through two slots cut in the baffle. You probably are missing this baffle, and it has not been reproduced, to my knowledge. I hope that this helps you understand how the round shroud mounts. Lou.
Loup68- thanks much for the pics, they do explain the two different views in the AIMS. Yours is a 68 right? There seems to be a few different configuratioons out there. If you look at the other posyts in this thread you'll see an earliy 69 with a metal shroud had small brackets that bolted to the crossmember (holes on the crossmember lip in your picture). Thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 02:15 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jyoconnell
Loup68- thanks much for the pics, they do explain the two different views in the AIMS. Yours is a 68 right? There seems to be a few different configuratioons out there. If you look at the other posyts in this thread you'll see an earliy 69 with a metal shroud had small brackets that bolted to the crossmember (holes on the crossmember lip in your picture). Thanks
If you are referring to the pretty pictures that Alan posted, his car is a 71. The only way the steel shroud was mounted in 69 was with the "L" shaped brackets as shown on the AIM pages.
I do not know how the plastic shroud would have mounted at the bottom, as my car has the steel shroud. Seems like if yours did have the steel shroud, that you might be missing the filler as mentioned above.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 321 Posts

I am flattered, but I did not post any photos. 69Vette19467 posted the correct pictures of the bottom of the 68 & 69 metal fan shroud mounting, the two tabs going through the metal baffle. The later mounting, like in Alan's photos, show different brackets bolting directly to the front cross member. You are correct, the first posted AIM diagram does not show the two slots that the tabs go through. I think that this what is confusing you.
The round metal shroud was only held by these two methods, to my limited knowledge.
I have owned a 68 coupe for 42 years, and everything that could possibly break, has broken on it, plus hit by two drunks and my brakes going out once and me bumping a woman's car. Lou.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
jyoconnell
Instructor

Originally Posted by ezobens
For what it's worth, my 69' L-46 4-Speed car (no A/C) came with the copper radiator and plastic shroud-
Are you sure your car originally came with the aluminum radiator and steel shroud?
ezobens- hi, are you able to take a picture of your car and send to me? I'm trying to see if it's a 26" copper radiator and what type of shroud it has?
thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoconnell
Wow- really interesting. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:
1) The NCRS manual I have says third edition. Which edition do you have? Can you post me a picture of the page that describes it?
2) I've never heard of the Rich Bizzocos book, is it avaliable online?
3) The Copper radiator that paragon sells won't fit?
I have a donor car which is a 69 no Ac coupe with the orig. alum. radiator. It is very complete. I will try to take a picture of what you are asking. Any other questions feel free.This donor is a great example of where and what was done back in 69.
Roger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Fan Shroud Mounting