C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

last issue popular hot rodding magazine

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default last issue popular hot rodding magazine

i just got my issue for september 2014 and it says last issue collectors edition. they have apparently become another victim of our economy and other media.
i remember reading about project x the first time they had the car in the magazine through all the versions up till chevrolet built the car over, i read it all the way through high school , it was one of my favorites. this is a shock, but i guess things don't last forever. i guess the day of the magazine is passing by but i hate the so called digital magazines you just can't sit in a chair or barstool in the garage and flip the pages and daydream.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 355 Posts

Those bastards sent me a card to sign up just last month.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I drooled on Project X for years also. I loved it when they flogged it at the track with a stack of cams or intakes!

Hate to see them go.

JIM
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

if you don't buy into the electronic crap and tell them you won't and don't use it and actually don't it will go away and magazines will come back because people demand it, problem is nobody will do it...that is except me, I don't read online mags, get a daily paper and when it is gone just won't know what is going on and probably will be better off for it. The young can have this world that is going into the crapper. You reap what you sow, farming expression for those who think food comes from grocery stores.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,252 Likes on 970 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Project X

Is that the 57 Chevy project X?
If so, then that is a trip down memory lane. I had a 55 at the time and couldn't wait to see what they would do next.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default mag

which magazine are you talking about? I just renewed subscriptions to several- hope it wasn't one of those!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah, it's just not the same sitting on the crapper with an e-reader...no subscription cards to fall out and into the toilet, nothing to wipe with once you discover the roll's empty, no pages stuck together...
Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

i think i still had 2 years left on the current subscription, wonder what they will do about that.
give me the good ol days when Robert Peterson owned his publishing empire. there weren't bean counters controlling projects or articles, and the writhers actually knew something about cars. and other race car projects like project six pack. I'm not liking this new world.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I wasn't just one magazine- 12 were canceled!!!

Popular Hot Rodding-
PLUS
High Performance Pontiac
GM High Tech Performance
Camaro Performers
Rod and Custom
Modified Mustangs and Fords
5.0 Mustang
Custom Classic Trucks
Four-Wheel Drive & SUV
Mud Life
Import Tuner
Honda Tuning

Best quote from over at the HAMB website-

"It's WAY more than car magazines, it's the dumbing down of society. Of course many of you will think I'm just some old crank crying "get off my lawn", but not having information in print means that it WILL disappear, not exist...be forgotten.
Electronic media is flimsy, transient by it's very nature, anything that doesn't make a profit for somebody will be deemed useless, and eventually just deleted.
Be it politics, history or any aspect of culture, it will be left to a handful of media bigwigs what you will read, what will be remembered and what's forgotten. The saddest part is you will never know what you are missing.
My two cents. It won't make any difference, and many of you won't get it at all, but say goodbye to tradition and history.
You aren't going to find E magazines in an old box thirty years from now, one click and it's permanently gone...forever. America, our jobs, our patriotism, our traditions have been sold out from under us. I DON'T WANT THIS TO BECOME POLITICAL, it's CULTURAL it's more relevant that abandoning the printed word is a radical sea change for civilization, I get that change is inevitable, but that change might not be for the good.
We are headed for a homogenized world of blandness and conformity, you see it everywhere. It's FaceBook, television, cell phones, much less choice in everything. Short attention spans, no skills, existing only to fill a specific profit making purpose. "
Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Popular Hot Rodding was one of my favorite mags, got about 30+ years of back issues stacked in my basement along with many other titles. Sorry to see it go....got 2 years left on my subscription. I read they are going to substitute Hot Rod, as well as incorporating some Pop Hot Rod content into it. I also subscribe to Hot Rod, so I guess they'll be coming until 2020 now.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:34 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

Default my subsription was good till Jan 2016....

Good thing it was cheap otherwise I'd be perturbed.

The way things are going I probably won't be renewing any more paper magazines.

I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get anything "instead". I quit the Corvette magazines because they had become travel brochures ...I'm glad this forum (and others like it) are on the net.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

yikes i didn't know it was that many, and the commentary is fairly close to spot on, however i think the government is very sinister in the area of the internet they will be the most likely to hit the delete button. heck it could be the EPA deciding our gross polluters are just unacceptable thats the new word the government uses when they are going to hammer us. I'm most upset they canceled mustang and honda stuff
Old 07-18-2014, 02:47 PM
chevygod
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanx to many of the web-based forums and info rings, I let all of my subscriptions go. Most had a 2-4 year cycle where they would help you repaint you car/choose an induction system/upgrade suspension/pick better seats. Wait 2-4 years and it was the same thing all over again, but with new vendors. The tech might change if some new factory part/system became available that could be adapted (LS1 brakes for Chevy rear axles comes to mind, as does LS-type motor stuff), but I heard about some of that before I found it in a magazine.

I can get better, more timely info here, now, for a project or emergency need than in any magazine. Just how the world is now.

Still sad to see an icon go away. Kinda like all of my car and music heroes dying off, does make me feel old and mortal.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygod
Thanx to many of the web-based forums and info rings, I let all of my subscriptions go. Most had a 2-4 year cycle where they would help you repaint you car/choose an induction system/upgrade suspension/pick better seats. Wait 2-4 years and it was the same thing all over again, but with new vendors. The tech might change if some new factory part/system became available that could be adapted (LS1 brakes for Chevy rear axles comes to mind, as does LS-type motor stuff), but I heard about some of that before I found it in a magazine.

I can get better, more timely info here, now, for a project or emergency need than in any magazine. Just how the world is now.

Still sad to see an icon go away. Kinda like all of my car and music heroes dying off, does make me feel old and mortal.
I haven't bought a car mag in... must be going on 5 years. I'd rather google the 'problem' I'm having and browse here, chevytalk, the hamb and others for real-world ideas.

I don't watch the car shows on tv often either.

I found - the problem with the builds featured in any of those mediums was that they were sponsored, multi-tens-of-thousand-of-dollar-builds. Case in point- one of the mags did a build up of a '51 chevy a few years ago. I have a '51, so I was very interested in it. Except that they used all of these expensive, expensive parts that I could never afford. (replacement frame? LS3 crate motor?) I didn't see ANY techniques in that build that I could apply to my build. I stopped reading there.

Same thing goes for the 'vette mags. They're worthless to me, because I feel like I just paid 12.00 for a bunch of adverts.

Here, I can ask a question, share my experiences, and get real time feedback on progress. THIS is where the world is heading on all fronts- instant information and instant gratification. It's the way it is.

I'm sorry to all the folks that will inevitably lose their livelihoods from this shift, but I won't miss their products. Not one bit.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM
dpw21562
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just being funny, but I really did read Playboy for the articles, right.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

So, what are they doing to compensate people who faithfully bought into their longevity and renewed at a 3 year interval? (like me)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
"It's WAY more than car magazines, it's the dumbing down of society. Of course many of you will think I'm just some old crank crying "get off my lawn", but not having information in print means that it WILL disappear, not exist...be forgotten.
Electronic media is flimsy, transient by it's very nature, anything that doesn't make a profit for somebody will be deemed useless, and eventually just deleted.

I was just talking to my friend about this the other day. He is one of those parents who takes photo's of his babies every move. I asked him why was he waisting his time? Those photo's will be all lost in 10 years. He is taking the photo's on an iPhone and saving them to his PC. Now think back.. How do you get your stuff off your TRS-80 from the 1980's? Your DOS 3.5" floppy from the 1990s? Do you have anything that can take a ZIPdrive or sIDE hard drive from 2000? Do you think that media will still work now? How about them photo's you saved on AOL or myspace?

The digital age is the beginning of the new "dark ages". People 75 years from now will have no idea what day to day life looked like or how the language was. They will just have a few scraps from the national archive. Digital formats change every few years. Computer companies come and go. Chances are all your digital "stuff" will be lost in your lifetime, but those old photo's from the 1910 will still be around just stuffed in a box under the bed. They will live on with zero effort.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To last issue popular hot rodding magazine

Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not if they get waterlogged during a house move or eaten by silverfish...
Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

it is kind of soggy where you are isn't it?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's not scorching hot, it's endless rain...

Quick Reply: last issue popular hot rodding magazine