C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

last issue popular hot rodding magazine

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Am I the only one that sees the irony of people ranting about the cancellation of a printed magazine on an internet forum?!

The old printed media is being overtaken by forums just like this one. I'm sure some of the older fellas could tell you how hard it was to find parts and answers just 20 years ago. Now we just post a question online and immediately connect with people around the world! Progress IS a good thing even if it means a loss of something we were used to.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Ontario73
Am I the only one that sees the irony of people ranting about the cancellation of a printed magazine on an internet forum?!

The old printed media is being overtaken by forums just like this one. I'm sure some of the older fellas could tell you how hard it was to find parts and answers just 20 years ago. Now we just post a question online and immediately connect with people around the world! Progress IS a good thing even if it means a loss of something we were used to.
Been there! Given a choice, I'll take the internet vice waiting for Part 2 in next months issue.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Molly Issa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
I wasn't just one magazine- 12 were canceled!!!

Popular Hot Rodding-
PLUS
High Performance Pontiac
GM High Tech Performance
Camaro Performers
Rod and Custom
Modified Mustangs and Fords
5.0 Mustang
Custom Classic Trucks
Four-Wheel Drive & SUV
Mud Life
Import Tuner
Honda Tuning

Best quote from over at the HAMB website-

"It's WAY more than car magazines, it's the dumbing down of society. Of course many of you will think I'm just some old crank crying "get off my lawn", but not having information in print means that it WILL disappear, not exist...be forgotten.
Electronic media is flimsy, transient by it's very nature, anything that doesn't make a profit for somebody will be deemed useless, and eventually just deleted.
Be it politics, history or any aspect of culture, it will be left to a handful of media bigwigs what you will read, what will be remembered and what's forgotten. The saddest part is you will never know what you are missing.
My two cents. It won't make any difference, and many of you won't get it at all, but say goodbye to tradition and history.
You aren't going to find E magazines in an old box thirty years from now, one click and it's permanently gone...forever. America, our jobs, our patriotism, our traditions have been sold out from under us. I DON'T WANT THIS TO BECOME POLITICAL, it's CULTURAL it's more relevant that abandoning the printed word is a radical sea change for civilization, I get that change is inevitable, but that change might not be for the good.
We are headed for a homogenized world of blandness and conformity, you see it everywhere. It's FaceBook, television, cell phones, much less choice in everything. Short attention spans, no skills, existing only to fill a specific profit making purpose. "
I agree!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

As technology advances, there are winners and losers. Paper costs too much. On the plus side, you can Google/Bing specs for just about anything. In the 60's and 70's I had to visit a good library and use their auto manuals when I had a question. Now, as Boomhower sez, it's "click-click nekkid chicks."
Old 07-20-2014, 11:50 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Everybody remembers learning about the Industrial Revolution in History class, right? The Industrial Revolution brought with it a lot of changes; professions that were no longer relevant or viable, an economy that suddenly worked differently, travel became much easier, communication became much faster, etc., etc.

I believe that right now, we are in the midst of another Revolution. Let's call it the Technology Revolution (Historians in the future will probably call it something different) We are experiencing the same sorts of changes and upheavals that we experienced during the Industrial Revolution. And once that Genie is out of the bottle, there is no getting it back in. Embrace it, or be left behind, like the Amish.

Scott
Old 07-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Everybody remembers learning about the Industrial Revolution in History class, right? The Industrial Revolution brought with it a lot of changes; professions that were no longer relevant or viable, an economy that suddenly worked differently, travel became much easier, communication became much faster, etc., etc.

I believe that right now, we are in the midst of another Revolution. Let's call it the Technology Revolution (Historians in the future will probably call it something different) We are experiencing the same sorts of changes and upheavals that we experienced during the Industrial Revolution. And once that Genie is out of the bottle, there is no getting it back in. Embrace it, or be left behind, like the Amish.

Scott

Your right on the money. We have been in technology revolution for quite some time now lots of things we grew up with are gone. Why would you write a letter on paper mail it off wait a couple days for it to arrive. I can get worlds better instruction or tips on you tube then i did out of a magazine by both professionals or just regular folk. I got rid of my TV don't even have it hooked up to an antenna best thing i have done in awhile. But you could not pry this computer away from my dead hands far better invention then TV ever was. I suspect the TV will be history well before i die. As far as the magazines all advertisement in them constantly repeat of the same ole crap. Every yr there"s one month out the yr on how to paint your car. Its a wonder any of them have lasted this long and they cost silly money to someone that bought them at 35 to 50 cents...lol. There was more in them when they were that price. But then nobody that can remember when the mags were much more content less advertising knows any better. I think besides technology passing them by a lot of this is there own fault. Instead of working very hard to get new buyers and plenty of good content in them, all they did was take the lazy way out and shop for more advertisement money, they helped doom them self. Once people got tired of little content the buyers just kept dwindling away. I know that's what happened to me tired of no content not worth a flip i stopped buying them long ago rarely buy one.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 07-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

can you imagine someone in the mechanical revolution. What my horse was working just fine easier to operate only eats some hay and does not have all this crap on it that could go wrong. What the hell my kerosene lantern is working fine why do i need all these damn wires and complexity running all over the damn place. Are you kidding me i can talk to someone a 1000 miles away or in Europe what do we need this for. Damn i know how to write what do i need this typewriter BS for. By god we could have dug this long trench ourselfs whats this weird looking contraption, waste of money my back is strong lol, the world has just gone to sh-it. We have plenty of needle and thread what do we need this high dollar contraption for. Why would i set in front of this silly box when i can play cards with friends. Your going to cool the air what for something else to break down. My wood burning stove is working just fine i have plenty of trees out here that are free, what do i need this for. Im telling you the world is all going to hell in a hand basket. We don't need this stupid machine to wash cloths plenty of rocks around here and water. Sun is free what do i need this silly warming cloths thing for.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 07-20-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

well, when your internet connection crashes or any of a hundred other things happen i still have a hard copy. i like being able to turn the pages of a good book or the good book and being able to do it anytime and anywhere without having to pay for it, i don't get free internet service.
and one day like the 8 track tape to cassette tape to cd to mini cd to those plug in thingies i don't have to wonder how i access the magazine.its nice to be able to read all this stuff on a computer or android, but its nicer to carry my Bible into church with my name embossed in gold . innovation is nice but it doesn't mean it is better.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Without Al Gore's Internet we are not having this conversation.
Or this forum, for that matter...
When is the last time you (no one in particuliar) wrote a letter?

It's called evolution. The only constant is change...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
c6silver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHR, GM Hightech, and High Performance Pontiac will all be missed, I can do with out the others. Bummer.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:40 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
well, when your internet connection crashes or any of a hundred other things happen i still have a hard copy. i like being able to turn the pages of a good book or the good book and being able to do it anytime and anywhere without having to pay for it, i don't get free internet service.
and one day like the 8 track tape to cassette tape to cd to mini cd to those plug in thingies i don't have to wonder how i access the magazine.its nice to be able to read all this stuff on a computer or android, but its nicer to carry my Bible into church with my name embossed in gold . innovation is nice but it doesn't mean it is better.
In my day, we didn't have fancy books, printed on paper. We got by just fine by having people memorize stories and pass them on from generation to generation by word of mouth, until that know-it-all Guttenberg invented the printing press. So you can go ahead and enjoy your fancy-schmancy, new-fangled printed bible, which can be lost, stolen, or destroyed in a flood or fire, or even changed by the devil! I'll stick to a preacher telling me the word of god.

See? It's all about perspective. There was a time when your printed bible was new technology, and wasn't trusted by a lot of people. When indoor plumbing first began to become popular, back in the 1800s, there were many people who were absolutely disgusted at the thought of urinating and defecating inside their own house! We think nothing of it today, in fact, many people are disgusted by the thought of answering the call of nature outside. So, metaphorically, you have to ask yourself one question: Am I ready to start crapping indoors?

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 07-20-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM
johnmb
Racer

They turned into Popular Gymkhana several years ago. I never renewed.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Ontario73
Now we just post a question online and immediately connect with people around the world! Progress IS a good thing even if it means a loss of something we were used to.

True...

BUT-The internet is both the greatest source of information AND misinformation.

Plus it's a great instrument for learning AND for propaganda.

As far as forums go- I have seen a increase in members asking the question rather than do a search- and post a negative comment if some one doesn't immediately answer their question.

Sesame Street has even changed their programing from 1 hour to 30 minutes be cause of the decrease in children's attention spans...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well i did like Popular Hot Rodding though i never subscribed. Corvette Fever went away in 2010 and i couldnt of been happier for that. CF would promote the "Tornado Gas Saver" and had one of their editors review it favorably on his BB 427 just because they paid for the advertizing.
Sorry to see Hi Po Pontiac leave also but in reality surprised they survived as long as they did. Some of those mags carried the torch for (us) niche enthusiasts. Before the internet those mags were the only source for a lot of contacts/clubs and parts sources. Now things have kinda trended to the best w/s. Internet Brands seems to have the most popular forums though anyone can buy nearly the same software to start and run one. There are some well run personally owned forums but the one i know of kinda leans in one direction and lets u know your in someone else s house.

BTW the better CD/DVD media has an expected life of 100 years. U want the gold or silver reflective color on the underside. Thats what i use for my record keeping.

Yea sorry to read the close out news but technology changes seems to come faster each year rather than slow down. Just a little better battery technology and our daily drivers will all be electric - internal combustion engine cars will just be another hobby like a horse or a boat. My biggest fear is now that we are all addicted to the internet they will charge and tax us for it - every little bit.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

The American car magazines have been garbage for years. They are just tools for articles about the company that bought advertising on the next page. Hemmings' publications are good, as are Grass Roots Motorsports and some of the British classic car publications, but Hot Rod, Car Craft, PHR and the like are terrible.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

There has always been a problem with bad info on paper or now on the internet nothing has changed and as one of my friends favorite saying is ... liars lie and cheaters cheat... has always been that way you can talk to any BSer at any car show or someone lying to you on the phone. That's just people won't ever change and the internet has nothing to with it. Someone can get away with changes in the printed bible or some preacher can tell you your going to hell for this or that you do. Then you later find out he's been out running around with the prostitutes. Were lucky to have the internet great invention. People can do good things on it or bad its there choice but the moral decay of our country has nothing to do with the internet. There's gillions of correct information on it. Or you can only look at the small amount of negative's about it.

There's way to many type's of magazines there trying to sell to much saturation. I would agree the long time rod and custom and popular hot rodding they should try and fix whatever the problem is with there sales and keep them.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 07-21-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Default They're Sending Me Motor Trend!.....

......to replace Popular Hot Rodding......just got it today. They could have at least sent me name brand toilet paper instead of this generic stuff..

Get notified of new replies

To last issue popular hot rodding magazine

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

yep same here, i called motor trend and told them leaf and prius aren in my vocabulary so i switched to another 22 months of another title. now all my magazines are current to 2021, watch those e mail offers.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
yep same here, i called motor trend and told them leaf and prius aren in my vocabulary so i switched to another 22 months of another title. now all my magazines are current to 2021, watch those e mail offers.
Motor Trend will let you switch, if you call?

Edit: I just called Motor Trend. They let me switch titles......they're now sending me another 20 months of Vette Magazine.

Last edited by C3 Stroker; 08-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:49 PM
BrandywineHunter
3rd Gear

Default Brandywine 70 Chevelle

Does anyone by any chance have an article or photos of the "Brandywine" 70 Chevelle from the pages of a 79 or 80 issue of p h r???

Quick Reply: last issue popular hot rodding magazine