C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this set up make good power

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:01 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd

Remember we are talking a head made initially for a 350 and GM is quite a bit smarter in design then a lot of people want to admit.

That raised runner (210) and valve size are specifically combined to maintain velocity of the intake charge. I doubt making the pocket bigger and valves bigger would result in better performance on the fast burn. GM created the term fast burn not as a gimmick but because the design causes a fast burn of the mixture and allows for timing as low as 32 degrees all in where the "Top Tier" heads want 36 all in.

If bigger valves 2.08 and runners and pockets are used I think you would be better off using those heads on more cubic inches like a 406 and up. And to use them on a 350 would be a waste.

I am no engine builder but I am fairly well schooled on topics that interest me and I could find no head offering anything the fast burn does not provide when using a 350ci motor , in fact it is my opinion if you stick with 350 like I have the fast burn is a top tier choice all the way.
I would think that fast burn relates to the chamber design and has nothing to do with the port. Dont get offended, if you like them then run them. With the valve size I'd think that for a 350 you might start to run out of rpms well before some of the other heads that use a larger valves, gm has even upped the valve size from 1.9" to 2" or so it would seem. Like I said they flow pretty good, just not my head choice.

Last edited by bluedawg; 07-20-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:08 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cardo0
Soo many good small block heads out there and soo many details its a 40 hr/wk job just to keep current with them all. Latest technique is to "wet flow" the heads. And some heads that boast wet flow technology dont have the highest "bench air flow" numbers. I cant answer for that. Can air flow be too much and wasted? It has to be a balance between velocity and airflow for the cubic inches serviced. In reality i think its more important to have a good running car thats still fun to drive than to have biggest and badest of everything - but runs like poopie on the street.

My 2 cents is it is fairly easy to get to 450hp with any of the better heads. But to go higher needs heads that match the rest your engine parts. Believe it or not the exh scavenging has much more effect than intake runner length/air charge tuning. Even the best heads can be choked by a restrictive exh sys.

Good night all,
I've not read a whole lot on the wet flow except that dart was doing it a couple of years back, something new to read up on and learn. IMHO it's not always the biggest and baddest that wins but more so the best planned out.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedawg
I would think that fast burn relates to the chamber design and has nothing to do with the port. Dont get offended, if you like them then run them. With the valve size I'd think that for a 350 you might start to run out of rpms well before some of the other heads that use a larger valves, gm has even upped the valve size from 1.9" to 2" or so it would seem. Like I said they flow pretty good, just not my head choice.
The valve size was never altered it has always been 2.00 and 1.55
I was referring to the chamber maybe I messed up terminology ( thanks )

I mean no disrespect.

You have little knowledge about the fast burn head, other then what you might have herd or read in passing. Which is fine except when posting about them , you really should not be making a judgement because it is opinion based on false information.. Sorta like people who trash the Q-jet .. Until Lars stops into the topic.. Then peoples attitude takes a turn and suddenly a q-jet is a good carb which it is.

GM States with absolute and complete clarity .. The Following

"D" shaped 78cc exhaust port and runners provide adequate flow for applications well in excess of 500 hp. Raised runner (.240" higher than conventional 23? head) intake ports with 210cc ports and runners provide adequate flow for applications well in excess of 500 hp. Raising the top of the intake valves provides a better "line-of-sight" through the port and onto the back side of the intake valves.

Hollow light weight intake valve , sodium filled exhaust , bronze guides .... And how is that not a top tier head for a 350 ? Is it because it does not have 2.02 and 1.6 valve sizes ?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

The valve size was never altered it has always been 2.00 and 1.55
I was referring to the chamber maybe I messed up terminology ( thanks )

I mean no disrespect.

You have little knowledge about the fast burn head, other then what you might have herd or read in passing. Which is fine except when posting about them , you really should not be making a judgement because it is opinion based on false information.. Sorta like people who trash the Q-jet .. Until Lars stops into the topic.. Then peoples attitude takes a turn and suddenly a q-jet is a good carb which it is.

GM States with absolute and complete clarity .. The Following

"D" shaped 78cc exhaust port and runners provide adequate flow for applications well in excess of 500 hp. Raised runner (.240" higher than conventional 23? head) intake ports with 210cc ports and runners provide adequate flow for applications well in excess of 500 hp. Raising the top of the intake valves provides a better "line-of-sight" through the port and onto the back side of the intake valves.

Hollow light weight intake valve , sodium filled exhaust , bronze guides .... And how is that not a top tier head for a 350 ? Is it because it does not have 2.02 and 1.6 valve sizes ?
In your last post about these heads I seem Remember a 1.9 valve size, but I am getting old and suffer crs. 2" is defiantly larger than my fouled memory 1.9". Not much difference between 2" and 2.02". Like I said, you like them, your using them and what I'm more interested in what kind of times your vette puts down. My thoughts on the larger valves is in comparison to other heads with runners in the 210cc class that flow over 300 cfm. Think about it this way if you went to a 2.08" valve and opened the pocket to support the valve would they flow as well as dart or afr or brodix in that class with the same size runners and if they did what would they cost all said and done be, might be a cost effective way for building a 400" engine. When I say not my head of choice I'm at 400" now and don't figure I'll build smaller than that for a while and if my crappie memory isn't failing me now they flow way better than the edeljunks I bought on a budget and put on my l48 before I built my 400". I've changed phones recently and lost my book mark that Straub posted on flow numbers but I seem to remember them flowing as well as 180 eliminators on the intake but not as well on the exhaust which can be fixed by the camshaft.

Last edited by bluedawg; 07-20-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I dont need to google ZZ5 as i know the fast burns use a 2.00" intake. And even Stroker McJurkey with his bigger is always better ideas knows a big vlv, 300cfm, 210 or larger port aint what a 350 needs on the street for fun. Even GM performance has some huge small block heads for sale but u wont see'm on any of their crate engines. You see'm at the track and summit with sell u big heads all day long. Theres quite a few big cam, big headed cars that make goobs of power but are rarely driven because they ride like a 3 legged buffalo. Occasionally we have all seen one before - they lug and lurch sounding like they're going to stall at every stop w/o revving.

Again its a compromise of air flow and velocity for a given cubic inch displacement. I have a hard time listening to all the big runner, big vlvs, big flow numbers like a sales promotion. Head mfr's will advertize all kinds of numbers and dyno operators can produce big numbers for customers too. Reality test is the quarter mile and your seat of the pants feeling (actually back into the seat feeling). Cant really google that but u will see it for yourself if u go to the track and ask/see what others are running and see their times. U would be surprized how fast some good machine work on even stock heads and a smart combination goes.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bluedawg
In your last post about these heads I seem Remember a 1.9 valve size, but I am getting old and suffer crs. 2" is defiantly larger than my fouled memory 1.9". Not much difference between 2" and 2.02". Like I said, you like them, your using them and what I'm more interested in what kind of times your vette puts down. My thoughts on the larger valves is in comparison to other heads with runners in the 210cc class that flow over 300 cfm. Think about it this way if you went to a 2.08" valve and opened the pocket to support the valve would they flow as well as dart or afr or brodix in that class with the same size runners and if they did what would they cost all said and done be, might be a cost effective way for building a 400" engine. When I say not my head of choice I'm at 400" now and don't figure I'll build smaller than that for a while and if my crappie memory isn't failing me now they flow way better than the edeljunks I bought on a budget and put on my l48 before I built my 400". I've changed phones recently and lost my book mark that Straub posted on flow numbers but I seem to remember them flowing as well as 180 eliminators on the intake but not as well on the exhaust which can be fixed by the camshaft.
According to Sallee Chevrolet, the Fast Burn Aluminum is:
Lift/Intake/Exhaust
.1"/62/55
.2"/136/104
.3"/187/133
.4"/232/158
.5"/266/180
.6"/275/192

Perfect for over 500hp .. I ordered a dash cam 1080p .. Ill set it up and make a clip of how this motor set up runs , drives and performs.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cardo0
I dont need to google ZZ5 as i know the fast burns use a 2.00" intake. And even Stroker McJurkey with his bigger is always better ideas knows a big vlv, 300cfm, 210 or larger port aint what a 350 needs on the street for fun. Even GM performance has some huge small block heads for sale but u wont see'm on any of their crate engines. You see'm at the track and summit with sell u big heads all day long. Theres quite a few big cam, big headed cars that make goobs of power but are rarely driven because they ride like a 3 legged buffalo. Occasionally we have all seen one before - they lug and lurch sounding like they're going to stall at every stop w/o revving.

Again its a compromise of air flow and velocity for a given cubic inch displacement. I have a hard time listening to all the big runner, big vlvs, big flow numbers like a sales promotion. Head mfr's will advertize all kinds of numbers and dyno operators can produce big numbers for customers too. Reality test is the quarter mile and your seat of the pants feeling (actually back into the seat feeling). Cant really google that but u will see it for yourself if u go to the track and ask/see what others are running and see their times. U would be surprized how fast some good machine work on even stock heads and a smart combination goes.
Not everybody wants to build a 350 Cardo. I put 195s on my 400" because it's a street ride. I contemplated the 210s. The fast burns have a 210 runner if the average guy wanted to build larger than a 350" and didn't want to tie a fortune up in the cylinder heads it seems like a cheaper route to modify the fastburns, according to the numbers that die posted they almost flow what my 195s flow and use a smaller valve with a larger runner, why couldn't they be opened up with larger valves they'd probably flow more right, not probably what you'd want for a street driven 350" quite possibly what you'd want for a 400" or a little larger wouldn't you say?

Last edited by bluedawg; 07-20-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:52 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

According to Sallee Chevrolet, the Fast Burn Aluminum is:
Lift/Intake/Exhaust
.1"/62/55
.2"/136/104
.3"/187/133
.4"/232/158
.5"/266/180
.6"/275/192

Perfect for over 500hp .. I ordered a dash cam 1080p .. Ill set it up and make a clip of how this motor set up runs , drives and performs.
They flow pretty close to the 195s. You plan on taking it to the track any? Looking forward to the video..if I had a go pro I'd do the same.

Last edited by bluedawg; 07-20-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:30 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

I think the small chambers limit the heads ability on valve size , most bigger valve heads are 72cc and up and also have a bigger exhaust port 80cc .. I would not use the fast burns on a 400 and up .

But on this 350 i have I can not see getting much more out of it no matter the head or cam and still have total daily driving ability. I cant stress that enough. I get no cam surge or any abnormal condition in any gear at any speed. And if you sit in it with me and I pound it from a dig or a 20 mph roll your gonna be hammered into the seat and kept there all through the gears. And at the next stop sit there with a big smile

Not bad for using all GM crate parts.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Reinventing the wheel is not the best way to build heads or an engine. That may have been the way when stock heads and parts were all there was or you could afford. Better now to choose from what someone else has engineered and tested and within your budget. These days every performance head mfr has a sbc head in at 3 different intake runner sizes and usually 2 different chamber sizes. Difficult enough to choose from them let alone modify'm. Changing and testing vlv sizes has already been done by the mfr. Most seem to think they know more than the head mfr's. And the cam mfr's too. Then they learn the hard/expensive way they are way ahead of themselves and left with bastard parts.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

I got the Camcorder for the car. SHould have read more on it the files size it stores are massive .. I had to cut this clip down .. into several parts . Anyone know where I can store and link to big video files ?

Here is a small one but I really would like to post basic driving and a full throttle pull in a few different gears .

http://www.mejuba.com/albums/diehrd8/246858/10765735/1
Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I got the Camcorder for the car. SHould have read more on it the files size it stores are massive .. I had to cut this clip down .. into several parts . Anyone know where I can store and link to big video files ?

Here is a small one but I really would like to post basic driving and a full throttle pull in a few different gears .

http://www.mejuba.com/albums/diehrd8/246858/10765735/1
There are some good video editing software out there. Like Vegas or Sony which I use. You can compress and change the resolution or format from a 30 meg video to a 3 meg MP3 for posting like on youtube
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull
There are some good video editing software out there. Like Vegas or Sony which I use. You can compress and change the resolution or format from a 30 meg video to a 3 meg MP3 for posting like on youtube
Ok cool .. .This camera takes 1080p video which is clear ,, I just need to shrink it down to internet size lol
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Here is a 8 minute video. It shows how well the motor drives in normal driving and it also shows a power pull. You will notice until I hit her it is pretty quiet. It has to be said , she is amazingly well behaved and has great street manners .. NO cam surge NO hesitations and instant power whenever you move the go peddle

Enjoy clip

ZZ4 350 CI base...
Fast EZ EFI
Single plane GM Intake 6.05 height
Fast Burn heads with PAC beehive spring kit ( 650 max lift)
GM847 Cam 238/242 duration 575/595 lift
1 7/8 XS Power stainless headers 4" collector
3" dual exhaust with X Pipe and Straight through mufflers.
700R4 with lock up
2400 stall
3.92 gears.

http://www.mejuba.com/albums/diehrd8/246858/10769484/1
Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Link won't open
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 63mako
Link won't open
Hmmm It just did for me I wonder why ur having issues ..
Old 07-26-2014, 02:16 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Link won't open
......link won't open....wrong url link.....

Get notified of new replies

To Would this set up make good power

Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

How about this link

http://www.mejuba.com/albums/diehrd8/246858/10769484/1
Old 07-26-2014, 05:31 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

That's the same link.....still won't open.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i wonder coastwise the difference between a 520 H.P 383 and a 520 H.P 454 would be . seems the torque would overcome the weight penalty pretty easily.

Quick Reply: Would this set up make good power