Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-25-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement???

As you all know I am considering doing my rear wheel bearings, or having them done by one of the vendors. If I were to do this myself, which tools would I need? I am assuming the bearing setup tool, because that allows me to get my shims set up without pressing the bearings on and pulling them off a hundred times, correct? And I was thinking I would need the thing to screw on the threads of the spindle so I don't wreck them while I'm doing this job. I have been told by a few people who have the spindle press that it doesn't work and the way to remove the spindle is to do it with the trailing arm on the car. The last person to tell me that was Rick, the owner of Corvette Center of Colorado Springs, and he does these every day. I do know how these go together, because I took the ones for the 68' apart. I have an extensive shop, and think I could do this easy enough. What do you all think?
Dalannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
norvalwilhelm
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (Dalannex)

The first time I tackled the rear bearing assemblies I didn't know better and just went ahead and took them apart. I didn't have any special tools or knowledge just determination to do it. They came apart fine.
Once apart I polished the fit on the inner bearing to make assembly and future removal easier. The inner nut is torqued to over 100 Ft Lbs so why does the bearing need to be such a tight fit. Tom's advertieses their bears are a slid fit.
You can also remove the bearing carrier from the trailing arm after removeing the castle nut and splined drive shaft end. After that remove the 4 nuts or cut them off the the hole assembly should come off the trailing arm. Of coarse the rotor and caliper were removed earlier.
You can make your own assembly tool to check shim thickness.
You save alot by doing it yourself plus the satisfaction.
Check all end play without grease, just a little oil.
Good luck
norvalwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
GTR1999
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (Dalannex)

If you have worked with close tolerances=+/- .001" on cars or machines you can do it. You will need the setup tool, spindle knocker, and outer bearing puller. If you have a machine shop near they can make these for you quickly. I believe the spindle threads are 3/4-20 but double check them.
I setup 2 cars last winter and have one on the road with close to 1000 miles on the bearings without any problem. Once I did the firstone they went quick. A shop setup for them can do the job in about an hour or two.
The bearings are inexpensive so give it a try, you can always ask questins here.
Gary
GTR1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (norvalwilhelm)

Do a lot of you go with the slip fit technique? I was just looking at tools and considering getting the spindle knocker, spindle installation tool, and bearing setup tool.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:02 PM   #5
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (gtr1999)

gtr1999, I have worked with close tolerances before, I used to run a shop where we worked with CNC machines and had closer tolerances than that all day long. You don't use the spindle installation tool? Is the spindle long enough that you can get the rear bearing on and then pull it on with the inner flange, or what? I am going to be ordering some tools before I leave for work today, so if I do need the install tool, I'll order it up. Thanks.

-Justin
Old 07-25-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Hey guys, I've been looking the wheel bearing job over a bit. I think I can do it with the trailing arm on the car the easiest. If I take the wheel and rotor off the outside, then remove the driveshaft, nut and flange from the inside, can I get the spindle out by putting the spindle knocker on and beating it out, or by using a wheel center and making a giant slide hammer to fasten on the spindle and drive it out? That way the inside bearing would come off of the shaft, and the outside one would be still on the shaft, as would the seal. then I can pry the inside seal out and drive out both inside and outside races. Then using the bearing puller I can remove the bearing and seal from the spindle. Now, I set up the new bearings with the proper number of shims to maintain .001-.008 play using the bearings set up tool. Here's where my question comes in. I have to put the outer seal on the spindle, then press the bearing on the spindle. I also press the races into the bearing support. How do I go about getting that outside seal into the bearing support? It's on the spindle, so it needs to be driven in while it's on the spindle. Isn't that kind of hard to do? Once the outer bearing and seal are in I should be able to press the inner bearing on with the spindle installation tool, then drive in the seal, put the shield on, then the flange and torque the nut. Am I close or what? Is the spindle installation tool for pulling the inside bearing on the spindle or not?
Old 07-25-2002, 03:51 PM   #7
GTR1999
CF Senior Member

Hey Justin,
I rebuilt the spindles with the arm out of the car. I figure it was worth the effort to replace the front bushings and check the arm for rust or cracks. Once you get by removing the bolt, it's not too bad.
I have all the tools for this job along with a 20 ton press. I used the press and the spindle knocker to remove the spindle and install the spindle. The amount of force needed to pop the bearings off would have damaged the arm,caliper mount bracket, or housing using the on car tools. The installing tool draws the spindle into the bearing, where I'd rather use a spacer on the inner race and press the bearings on to the spindle. I also made a housing plate to hold the spindle vertical to set the end play. I used a surface grinder to grind the shims to size and dial it in to .00157" end play- way too critical for this application but I had the tools in the shop to play with and use. If you get them between .001-.002" you should be ok. This is without grease as mentioned. I used spindle oil on the bearings during setup. I think I have a picture of the plate if you want me to email it to you. If not then maybe someone else has it, because I had it posted for me back a few months ago. I highly recommend a press if you don't have one. For about $225 you can't go wrong. If I can help you with more questions let me know. Tom 454 and Norval helped me a few months ago through the first bearing job and the differential rebuild so there are a few guys here that can fill in the blanks. :cheers:
gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 2:55 PM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 PM   #8
Frank75
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (gtr1999)

Yeah, go for it. I did mine but they were a snap to take apart due to having been previously modified to slip-fit. Actually I ended up replacing the spindles as they were TOO loose. This was good as one of the old spindles turned into an inspection tool to check tolerances. :)

I did buy an assembly tool which was helpful for final assembly. Monty used to have a suspension.html page showing this job - don't have his URL handy but it was helpful for me. It's been quite a while since I did the job but it was pretty straightforward, and as mentioned, lots of help is available here.

[Modified by Frank75, 8:45 PM 7/25/2002]
Frank75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 12:05 AM   #9
Barry's70LT1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Here's where my question comes in. I have to put the outer seal on the spindle, then press the bearing on the spindle. I also press the races into the bearing support. How do I go about getting that outside seal into the bearing support? ?
If you resize the spindle for "slip fit", then you can install the outer bearing and seal into the bearing support, then, install the spindle.

I used an old (turned down) spindle as a setup tool.

I made a press to remove the spindle. Four threaded rods and a 1/2" steel plate with four holes. (Details if you are interested)

Set to .001 - .002, any more and you could have brake issues.

Be careful if you are grinding shims to achieve correct setting. If you grind more off one side than the other, you could cause alignment stress on the bearings when tightened.

Not a bad job to do. You can do it.
Barry
Barry's70LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 03:07 AM   #10
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (Barry's70LT1)

Hey thanks guys. Could you guys send me some pics of your homemade tools? dalannex@yahoo.com I would appreciate it. I'm hoping to get after this soon. Right now I need to get the motor rebuilt for my pickup and get it out of the shop so I can get the vette in. :crazy:

Gtr1999, I do have a 20 ton press in the shop. Did you take the bearing support off of the trailing arm then press the spindle out? It seems to me that the trailing arm is kind of weak to be pressing on.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:20 AM   #11
GTR1999
CF Senior Member

Justin,
I removed the arms(easier said then done!) then stripped the parking brakes out and the press plates fit in the area of the PB shoes. I didn't worry about bending the backing plate because I was going to replace it anyway. I installed the knocker on the end of the spindle. Pressing on the knocker with the press ram and supporting the housing was enough for me to pop off the bearings,-all except one very rusted one. For that I soaked it in PB Blaster overnight and used the outer bearign puller as a support to apply more pressure on it and it popped. To install I used cut lenghts of 1.5" EMT electrical tubing. this is just about the right size to press the bearings on with. I used a die grinder to face off the ends of the EMT so it sat flat on the inner race of the bearing. The end of the spindle has a flare to it and the EMT just started to fit over it before the bearing was "home". No problem it easily tapped off the flare afterwards. I'll see if I still have the picture on the computer at work,if not I can try using my scanner to send you some pictures.
Gary
Old 07-26-2002, 01:29 PM   #12
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. I see what you use for checking runout. I'm going to have to make one like it. I think I can get this job done easy enough. How does that bearing setup tool work? Do you slide it in the bearing housing with the bearings and shims on it then tighten the nut down, then check the runout, then take it back apart and adjust the shims according and repeat??
Old 07-26-2002, 01:42 PM   #13
GTR1999
CF Senior Member

Justin,
That's exactly how you use it. Clean up the housing,I ended up painting everything with POR15, installe the races and then oil the bearings and install on the setup tool. start with the original shim and tighten to 100 ft/lbs. You'll get a more acurate reading by mounting the spindle in a fixture like I send you. I zeroed the indicator and keep it on the same spot on the end of the tool so if it's not faced off flat you won't get a wrong reading. Once zeroed then apply pressure from the bottom to top and back. I checked mine with a digital indicator and a regular dial indicator. The regular was .002" the digital was .00157". I used the surface grinder because I had to take off about .014" from the spacer. I ground one side flat then flipped it over to finish it. I used the Mobil 1 red auto grease. I found CRC seals work good better then some of the seals I got in kits. NAPA stocks them around here~about $8.00 ea.
Gary
Old 07-26-2002, 03:53 PM   #14
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Thanks. I'm ready now. :D Well, I need some space in the shop, so it'll be a couple weeks, but then I'll be ready. I'll probably have some questions then. Later.

Justin
Old 07-26-2002, 07:11 PM   #15
DVG73
CF Senior Member

Try this link, it is from Terry Rudy's site and he has it linked to Monty's. I found it helpful when I did mine, it's not too bad as long as you have the tools. Good Luck.
http://www.montygwilliams.com/rearbearings.html
DVG73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:32 AM   #16
Dalannex
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (DVG73)

:cool: That's just what I've been looking for. Thanks for the link. :D Thanks to whoever took the time to make such a fabulous page as well. :yesnod:
Old 07-27-2002, 03:32 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement???

Tags
bearin, bearing, bearings, c3, change, corvette, grease, outer, puller, rear, removal, set, spindle, tool, wheel