C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting close

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
last of the stingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting close

Hi Everyone,
Just got my 355 Blue print motor installed and waiting for the aluminum radiator to get here. I went thru all the suspension, rear end, brakes, steering,transmission with a 2700 stall converter. Should have the new radiator in a couple of weeks, plan on running two electric fans with shroud for cooling. The old radiator core support was rusted pretty badly so I purchased one on eBay and got it installed.
I purchased a spreader bar for the front end and need to get that installed to. It's been a work in process, I was hoping to be done with this months ago but I work out of town and I am only able to do a little at a time. I've been working on it since October of last year.
While I was out of town my house and garage got broke into and all my tools and extra parts were stolen. Rally wheels, carb, manifold, etc…. totally sucks now I have to do the leg work and paperwork for insurance. I hope the thieves choke to death…or worse..
Luckily my car was at my friends shop so it was unmolested. House is now alarmed and cameras in place so hopefully this won't happen again.
But I can see the light at he end of the tunnel and hopefully its not another train….LOL
I'm real excited to get this car on the road, I have only driven it a hand full of times since purchasing it 2 tears/years ago. I was not happy with the performance of the car so I went with a crate motor to get the horsepower up and hopefully live up to a corvette reputation.
I will inclose more pictures when it's completed.
Thanks for al your help and input thus far, John
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Florida 79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very cool.

What's the carb, 650? That's what I went with. I don't care what they say here, when I installed the Holley, big difference. Good luck.
What do you have... year?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Looking good.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 AM
last of the stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by Florida 79
What's the carb, 650? That's what I went with. I don't care what they say here, when I installed the Holley, big difference. Good luck.
What do you have... year?
Yeah I went with a Holley 650, I was running a Edelbrock on the previous motor and was not happy with the results. I've ran Holley's in the past and have always been happy with them. The car is a 1976.
Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Which crate motor-355?? Specs?

I am running my holley 4175 650 CFM Qjet replacement that I have had on the car since 1985 (I rebuilt it myself in 2010) on my L-82 that is now a new/blueprinted 355 and I am surprised how well it runs with the 4175 with the only change for the new motor changing the main jets from a 59-2 to a 63. It's not perfect yet-need to get an adjustable secondary metering block to dial it in- but pretty good.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

I am running my holley 4175 650 CFM Qjet replacement that I have had on the car since 1985 (I rebuilt it myself in 2010) on my L-82 that is now a new/blueprinted 355 and I am surprised how well it runs with the 4175 with the only change for the new motor changing the main jets from a 59-2 to a 63. It's not perfect yet-need to get an adjustable secondary metering block to dial it in- but pretty good.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM
last of the stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by jb78L-82

Heres the specs. for the motor. The dyno sheet came in at 417 hp at 5600 rpm. I called blue print motors and this is the carb they spec. for this motor, 650 Holley not sure the item # not home now to look it up but will check into it once Im home. I think I'll be happy with the results.
I'm going to go with a different headers most likely shorty's to give me more clearance under the car and for the wires and plugs. Once I lowered the car the clearance for the headers was not much so I figure I will go and change it now before I get the exhaust all the way done.

HP & Torque: 375 HP / 400 FT LBS
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1
Aluminum Heads
Hypereutectic Pistons
Flat Tappet Cam
Cast Steel Crank
Part #: BP35512CT1
Block:

4-bolt main, 1-piece rear main seal
Passenger side dipstick
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness

Rotating Assembly:

BluePrint premium cast steel crankshaft
Hypereutectic pistons
Chevy heavy beam rods with 150,000 PSI bolts
Hastings moly rings
Melling high volume oil pump
Hydraulic flat tappet cam
Heavy duty double roller timing set

Cylinder Heads:

BluePrint Performance Aluminum
Hardened retainers and springs
2.02 swirl polished intake valves
1.60 swirl polished exhaust valves
BP Aluminum Head Part# H8002K
For complete head specs, click here

Cam Specs:

Cam Type: Flat Tappet
.480 Intake .486 Exhaust
229 Intake / 230 Exhaust duration
@ .050

Ignition Timing:

34 Degrees total (at 4000 rpm)
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

My Blueprint motor is very similar with yours. I've had great luck with it and at over 30K miles it is still doing great. One suggestion: run a hard fuel line from the pump to the filter and move the filter up and away from the heaters hoses. After driving it on a hot day you will probably get fuel percolation with that setup and erratic running.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:26 PM
last of the stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
My Blueprint motor is very similar with yours. I've had great luck with it and at over 30K miles it is still doing great. One suggestion: run a hard fuel line from the pump to the filter and move the filter up and away from the heaters hoses. After driving it on a hot day you will probably get fuel percolation with that setup and erratic running.
O.K. Thanks I'll look into it when I get back home. I bypassed the heater core. If you look close the line runs from the manifold to the water pump, it's a little longer then i want it to be but wasn't sure if I can just plug the holes without the line. Just to help cool some of the water, any ideas if I can just plug the holes without any long term destruction?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:19 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by last of the stingray
Heres the specs. for the motor. The dyno sheet came in at 417 hp at 5600 rpm. I called blue print motors and this is the carb they spec. for this motor, 650 Holley not sure the item # not home now to look it up but will check into it once Im home. I think I'll be happy with the results.
I'm going to go with a different headers most likely shorty's to give me more clearance under the car and for the wires and plugs. Once I lowered the car the clearance for the headers was not much so I figure I will go and change it now before I get the exhaust all the way done.

HP & Torque: 375 HP / 400 FT LBS
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1
Aluminum Heads
Hypereutectic Pistons
Flat Tappet Cam
Cast Steel Crank
Part #: BP35512CT1
Block:

4-bolt main, 1-piece rear main seal
Passenger side dipstick
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness

Rotating Assembly:

BluePrint premium cast steel crankshaft
Hypereutectic pistons
Chevy heavy beam rods with 150,000 PSI bolts
Hastings moly rings
Melling high volume oil pump
Hydraulic flat tappet cam
Heavy duty double roller timing set

Cylinder Heads:

BluePrint Performance Aluminum
Hardened retainers and springs
2.02 swirl polished intake valves
1.60 swirl polished exhaust valves
BP Aluminum Head Part# H8002K
For complete head specs, click here

Cam Specs:

Cam Type: Flat Tappet
.480 Intake .486 Exhaust
229 Intake / 230 Exhaust duration
@ .050

Ignition Timing:

34 Degrees total (at 4000 rpm)
Thanks. I am trying to figure where my 355 would engine dyno but will only be able to use a Mustang Chassis Dyno when I get to it.

Engine is the OEM L-82 4 bolt main:

.030 bored
JE Forged Racing Piston/rings-9:1
Howards Roller-.525/.525, duration 219/225, LSA 110
AFR 180 64 CC fastburn Heads which are suppose to have one of the best flow numbers
Compression 10.2:1

I am figuring 430-450 Gross HP. The engine has some serious b*lls...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM
last of the stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Thanks. I am trying to figure where my 355 would engine dyno but will only be able to use a Mustang Chassis Dyno when I get to it.

Engine is the OEM L-82 4 bolt main:

.030 bored
JE Forged Racing Piston/rings-9:1
Howards Roller-.525/.525, duration 219/225, LSA 110
AFR 180 64 CC fastburn Heads which are suppose to have one of the best flow numbers
Compression 10.2:1

I am figuring 430-450 Gross HP. The engine has some serious b*lls...
Hi Attached are the spec sheets form the builders…maybe this can help.
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

It looks great!

Get notified of new replies

To Getting close

Quick Reply: Getting close