C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signal light question

Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Signal light question

Strangest thing- With key in on position, my signal lights on 68 work fine. However, when I put the lights on-parking and headlights, the left signal bulb lights and left signal wont work??? with lights off flashers work fine too. Any idea as to cause? people told me the electrical issues on C'3's will make you crazy and I'm living proof! had lots of issues and now all fixed but this one and can't wait to run this Big block Motion Tribute car. I've bought and sold 14 different Corvettes but there is something about this one that makes me want to keep it. Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the ground wire on that socket. they usually go bad. The ground (black wire on the socket) wire is attached to the frame on the driver's side near the rear side marker light.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default signal lights

Have asked this elsewhere but dont have an answer yet. When I turn on parking or headlights my left turn signal indicator light lights up. With key on the same occurs but signals and flashers still work. With all lights off- the signals and flashers work as original. Not a big issue but would like these to work correctly. what I have done thus far is replace blue wire pigtail as original had come apart in the dash and also replaced the wires connected to the parking light as those connections were very worn Ive traced the brown wire back to harness and connections are good. What should I check next? Thanks Paul
Old 08-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the exact same issue as above so.....
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default This might help.

Testing the black wire outside the socket won't show a bad ground.
Attach a wire to a good ground and test the socket as shown.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default light

I'll try that and see what happens. the light socket in grill has 2 posts with nuts(1 is broken off) to hold it into the plastic grill. 1 of the fasteners for the grill to the frame is also broken off. Could that be the problem? the lights all work- issue is the l signal indicator lights up with park and headlights. if that is the problem, can I run a ground from the light housing to a good frame ground? Tyanks
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default light

Monday bump
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default update

Took some advice and looked at grounding the parking/signal light assembly in the grill. Immediately the parking lot brightened up and the light on dash went off. Thought I had it but now left signal(with key on) when switched on works fine but the rear blinks slowly and the right one blinks as well. Looks like the flashers are on in rear. with lights off everything is fine- any ideas? besides only day time driving!!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Default One problem down and another pops up!

I don't know why both rears now light up but make sure the rear sockets are good and the 1157 bulbs are in correctly.
This will bump you up so someone else may have a suggestion.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default lights

thanks rear lights always worked prior to me grounding the left front??? Odd as usual for me and this car drives me nuts !!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Default One more thing...

While your back there check that the black ground wires from the sockets to the frame are good.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default wiring!!!

Have been working on this issue way too long.I have replaced the parking/signal light housing in the grill as it appeared the bulb socket was the problem-NOT New socket,new bulb same problem. I have attached a ground to the socket and to the front bumper and the light gets super bright and the dash light goes off- but then the signal wont work!! I havent gone to back yet to check ground there but as usual I am befuddled. Any comments I am also changing the signal light switch while I'm redoing the horn. The signals have to be used manually as the plastic on switch came apart. if this is the problem,why would the right side be fine? Thanks for listening to me babble!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM
cb.bums
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine was the left turn signal on full with lights on. ernie at Wilcox said; signal lamps draw power from turn signal switch. something is back feeding power to them. might be two things at once. check harmonica connector at turn signal switch to be sure it's plugged all the way in. tail lights are green wire from headlight switch. headlights are lt blue from switch, runs to dimmer switch. if switch is bad, could back feed voltage causing the dash lamp to stay on. haven't had time to look into mine yet.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default Cb

Thanks for the info- tonight I replaced the signal light switch and signal light lever and putting back together tomorrow.. Hopefully the harmonica piece is plugged in all the way. Noticed several missing parts once I got into column.. Hope this fixes it- its been a pain. I started out just replacing the horn pieces and redid all of it.. This car will be brand new before I'm done. Where in Cincy are you? used to live there(wyoming) and work in fairfield Thanks Paul
Old 08-14-2014, 07:17 AM
cb.bums
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pnewt
Thanks for the info- tonight I replaced the signal light switch and signal light lever and putting back together tomorrow.. Hopefully the harmonica piece is plugged in all the way. Noticed several missing parts once I got into column.. Hope this fixes it- its been a pain. I started out just replacing the horn pieces and redid all of it.. This car will be brand new before I'm done. Where in Cincy are you? used to live there(wyoming) and work in fairfield Thanks Paul
west side.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default signal lights

I'll let you know if the switch takes care of it Thanks CB
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default signal

Tried a new signal light switch ( needed it any way) after changing to a new light socket assembly and still have the left signal light on in dash- running out of things to check now except for the rear lights. Thats where I'm Heading next
Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default signal lights

promise this is my last post on this question!!!!have tried everything to get left signal light on dash to go off when I put parking or headlights on Older posts describe what Ive tried. gonna give up and live with it after this. I ran a test light to the screws holding cover on parking light in brand new housing and when I touch the other end to ground(bumper) it lights up???? does not do the same thing on the right side which works perfectly. I have a bad grill where 1 of the connections(plastic has broken and screw holding it attaches to nothing- any chance this is the issue? dont believe I should get light coming on with test light. Thanks for any advice
Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default ground??

Monday bump

Get notified of new replies

To Signal light question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Signal light question