C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 11:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup

My motor stopped pulling at 5 grand last time I had it dynoed and I want to eliminate all weak links like the stock ignition and fuel pump etc.

Would an MSD 6AL igintion be good choice ?

Also like to know how it is hooked up, does it replace the HEI coil on top of the distibutor ? Have no experience with this, thanks.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:08 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (MotorHead)

Maybe you should get the Blaster2 or 3 coil as well, they are not very expensive and will give you 45 - 50000 v, I think our stock is 30000
Old 07-25-2002, 06:59 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorhead

Take a look at some those HEI cap and coil replacements that allow higher revs', can;t find them in Summit's catalog but it seems I have seen some before. Like you said, the stock one's seem to crap out at 5000, or so I've heard.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (Fevre)

Capacitive Discharge Ignition Systems, like MSD, really pack a punch compared to HEI , especially if the engine has been modified . Throttle response is better and idle is smoother . You can open up your plug gap more too, which gives better combustion. If you get an MSD6 , make sure you locate the box in a place where it will get lots of cool air flowing over it. I have mine in front of the radiator on the lower valance and extended the wires to the distributor.

RR
Old 07-25-2002, 11:46 AM
JIM
Burning Brakes

You dont need to spend the extra money for the MSD6 AL just go with the standard MSD 6A. (no rev limiter)
Im going with the MSD 6a and Msd distributor as soon as the budget allows.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:17 PM
bud snyder
Instructor

Motorhead,
If you decide to change the whole distributor, the MSD Pro-Billet is a nice unit.
I have one and I am very pleased with it.
Bud
Old 07-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (JIM)

For only a few dollars more, i went with the MSD6T instead of the 'L' . The MSD6T is the same as the 'L' except the internals are sprayed with some type of moisture protector, and its vibration proof also. I have mine sitting on 1" high rubber grommets to protect it even more...and , to allow air to go 'under' the MSD box for greater cooling.

RR
Old 07-25-2002, 07:43 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (Rumpity Rump)

I just installed the Ignitor2 this morning, didn't start to break up until @ 6500. With my points I was breaking up at 4k. Will see how the MSD 6AL and new coil (Blaster2) add to the ignition and performance. Always nice to be able to see how some add ons work piece meal. So the Pertronix is everything it advertised and will report back about the MSD as well.

[Modified by gdh, 6:44 PM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 08:52 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (JIM)

You dont need to spend the extra money for the MSD6 AL just go with the standard MSD 6A. (no rev limiter)
Im going with the MSD 6a and Msd distributor as soon as the budget allows.
That is what I was thinking, I have a shift light, but I still think the rev limiter might be a good idea because you could miss a shift. I guess missing a shift would be the only reason for a rev limiter ?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:16 PM
nunus79
Drifting

I ran a 6A w/shift light. There were many times that I felt like kicking my butt for not getting the 6AL for the rev limiting function. With the 6A, you can't just add on a rev limiter later.

When you start pushing your engine to the limit (and you WILL, don't fool yourself) you need to have some kind of safety net to allow you to get as aggressive as you can. Without it, you'll always hold back and not test the limit. What kind of fun is that?

BTW, I'm surprised gkull hasn't chimed in on this one yet. He loves the Crane box. It does have some advantages over the MSD box. You might want to check it out too.

Good Luck!
Norris
Old 07-26-2002, 10:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Ok Nunus, His motor has lots of the same parts as yours.

Go with a digital from Crane. I don't know if the offer is still good. but they were throwing in a free super coil. The Crane system has dial adjust rev control. I really like the jacks that came with it. If for some reason it fails or what ever. You just pop the input and output jacks and mate them together. Taking the Multispark out of the ignition loop.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (gdh)

I just installed the Ignitor2 this morning, didn't start to break up until @ 6500. With my points I was breaking up at 4k. Will see how the MSD 6AL and new coil (Blaster2) add to the ignition and performance. Always nice to be able to see how some add ons work piece meal. So the Pertronix is everything it advertised and will report back about the MSD as well.

[Modified by gdh, 6:44 PM 7/25/2002]
Good luck with the Pertronix II I had Nothing but Problems....along with countless others as well...I went thru two modules and neither worked properly..So I ripped it out bought a Mallory Dual point tach drive distributor and Blaster coil and it pulls fierce to 6500 and no break-up..starts instantly....BTW my average mileage out of the Pertronix unit was about 1,000 miles before it crapped out
Old 07-26-2002, 11:19 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (gkull)

Since everyone else is on the CD ignition bandwagon, I will have to be different. I really dislike CD ignitions. Think about it... If they are so great (better starting, mileage power emissions etc), why are they not on any new cars? Not even the 400 hp Z06 that revs to 6500? GM spends millions to research better combustion chambers and ports to improve power & emissions. How silly when all they needed to do was to add a MSD6A! :rolleyes:

Truth is a stock HEI will easily pull to 6000. 7000 with a better module. I have dyno graphs of my 454 pulling 6k with just a regular HEI.

I used to have a CD ignition. MSD6AL. Got it because I really wanted a rev limiter (had a carb back then). It fried within a year. Replaced it with a crane HI6. It lasted 3 months.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:56 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (zwede)

I would use this ignition on any car for any driving use. I don't care for the appearance of many MSD ignition parts and looks to me are important. I like Holly's product appearance and their perf. on side by side test in Car Craft showed them to be all but identical. Holly is also a name you can trust to be around like MSD. MSD is extremely popular in racing and street but if you look at their hardware, it's butt ugly...........in my opinion.

:seeya

[Modified by jimvette999, 10:57 AM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 01:55 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (Alwyn678)

Good luck with the Pertronix II I had Nothing but Problems....along with countless others as well...I went thru two modules and neither worked properly..So I ripped it out bought a Mallory Dual point tach drive distributor and Blaster coil and it pulls fierce to 6500 and no break-up..starts instantly....BTW my average mileage out of the Pertronix unit was about 1,000 miles before it crapped out[/QUOTE]

Next year I will likely put in the MSD billet distributor but for now I hope it stays working. I only tend to put 2 - 3000 miles per year on the vette so hears hoping. :)
Old 07-26-2002, 03:19 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup (gdh)

I`m runnin`with the MSD 6AL and i can strongly recommend it...No breakups at all..I would also recommend a bigger coil.... :cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup

Quick Reply: Would an MSD 6AL ignition be good for my setup