C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Temp sending unit location

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:33 PM
oneof6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 Temp sending unit location

Anyone, I have 1970 Stingray with smallblock , auto and need to know where the temp sending unit is supposed to be ( drivers side up front or passengers side in back) , also if it is on passingers side what color wire should be going to the temp sending unit.
My car currently has it on the drivers side front, but I was changing plugs the other night and found a sending unit on passengers side not hooked up but I found a green wire taped behind the heater hose with no plug on the end of it. any help would be appreciated!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

On my 69 drivers side front. Does your gauge work?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM
oneof6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MelWff
On my 69 drivers side front. Does your gauge work?
yes guage works fine but not sure if this is the original spot it should be, can you tell me what color the wire going to the sending unit is on your car?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi O6,
The temperature sending unit near the rear of the right side head is for the car's TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) system.
So it's part of the emissions system on your engine. The temperature of the engine, cold or warmed up, affects how the system operates.
The green wire may be the wire that should lead to the unit, or it could be the lead to the TCS solenoid that was mounted on the right side of the intake manifold on the side of the carb. Is that solenoid on your engine?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
oneof6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi O6,
The temperature sending unit near the rear of the right side head is for the car's TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) system.
So it's part of the emissions system on your engine. The temperature of the engine, cold or warmed up, affects how the system operates.
The green wire may be the wire that should lead to the unit, or it could be the lead to the TCS solenoid that was mounted on the right side of the intake manifold on the side of the carb. Is that solenoid on your engine?
Regards,
Alan
Alan thanks again for your help, yes the solenoid is on the intake and it is hooked up but the TCS on the right side head is not and I'll bet the original owner disconnected it at one point. I appreciate the feedback I am 60 years old and purchased this 1970 in few months ago, all stock but I am going through the car little by little to bring it up a notch, When I was 20 had a 1971 LTI but my memory has faded a bit on where some of the wires were connected..... again I appreciate the help Alan...
Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi o6,
I added a picture of the green wire on my 71 to my post after your reply.
I think it's great that you have a Corvette again. I think 70s are really nice cars.
How about a couple of pictures?
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
oneof6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by oneof6
Alan thanks again for your help, yes the solenoid is on the intake and it is hooked up but the TCS on the right side head is not and I'll bet the original owner disconnected it at one point. I appreciate the feedback I am 60 years old and purchased this 1970 in few months ago, all stock but I am going through the car little by little to bring it up a notch, When I was 20 had a 1971 LTI but my memory has faded a bit on where some of the wires were connected..... again I appreciate the help Alan...
Alan, will get some picture up as soon as I get them loaded, my wife and I are happy with car Mulsanne Blue/blue interior white convertible top, thanks again...
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM
subtlez28
Racer

Sorry, I asked for a similar pic of the pass side sender.

But... I found one (also from Alan) on the next thread in my search.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by subtlez28; 08-06-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: found my answer in another thread

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 Temp sending unit location

Quick Reply: 1970 Temp sending unit location