C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 07:51 PM
Rods77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help

Just got the griffin generic 31 x 19 aluminum radator and spal dual 11" fans today. Got just a couple questions on how to mount the rad in the support. Car is a 77, when I set the rad in there I notice the filler cap sits on top of the rad instead of on a 45 deg. angle like my original....will this hit the hood? Also any good ideas on how to mount this thing in there, it's to big for any of the existing bracketing. The fans should be no problem once I get the rad secured in place......temp wired one of the fans to the battery just to check it out....wow...had it leaning at a 60 deg angle up against a box and it started sucking itself to the box...... :eek:
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:29 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help (Rods77)

Rod use this thread lots of good info for your install http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/GriffinFan.doc

[Modified by Wightnite, 8:30 PM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Wightnite, 8:40 PM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Wightnite, 8:42 PM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Wightnite, 8:43 PM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Wightnite, 8:47 PM 7/24/2002]

[Modified by Wightnite, 8:50 PM 7/24/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 10:02 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help (Wightnite)

OK thread works now.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Rods77
Instructor

Default Re: Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help (Wightnite)

Thanks Wightnite, but everytime my computer goes to load the .doc file it locks up.......arrrgg....I've got the file saved, will have to work on the computer now.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:58 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help (Rods77)

:cool:
Old 07-25-2002, 10:11 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I relocated to upper brackets in the rad support by drilling new holes for the bolts. I first put the radiator in place, then placed the upper brackets on the rad and pressed down for a tight fit and scribed on the support for the bolts.

I thought I had other pics on the web, but I have some at home that I could upload and send to you if you'd like. :cheers:

Old 07-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help (SmokedTires)

I screwed up and bought the wrong rad, 27 in, decided to use just one bent piece of metal bolted to the middle of rad support. I used two pieces of rubber on each corner between the rad and support and a thick piece on the L bent bracket in the middle. The L bracket holds the top tight against the rad support. With the shroud on you can barely see it. Have had 0 problems with it so far. Not sure how I am going to feel about when I switch to dual electric fans and no shroud. Might order a new correct size rad and put the orig brackets back on. We'll see.

Get notified of new replies

To Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help

Quick Reply: Woohoo!! just got my griffin radiator and spal fans!.....Help