C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Jumbaliaman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 power steering problem

I had my friend/mechanic replace the control valve, cylinder and hoses. They were all leaking but working. When I received the car the other day it's hard to turn the wheel right and left like I have no power steering at all. When mentioned to him he said it's probable tight just drive it a little maybe it will loosen up. The mechanic is a friend and gave me a good price on replacing these parts so I would like to avoid going back to him with a problem if I can fix myself. So my questions is do you think it needs to be bleed and is this something I can do? Or is it something else
Please help
Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Ask him if he greased the control valve.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Bleeding is done by repeatly turning the wheel full lock left to right. Did you check the fluid level in the pump? Are you sure he correctly attached the hoses, it is easy to make that mistake. Notice how the hoses cross
http://keenparts.com/pages/Catalog3....4014&year=1971
Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Jumbaliaman
Intermediate

OK,
let me check the hoses and I'll do a bleeding when I get home.
Thanks
Jim
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Jumbaliaman
Intermediate

Default continuing my steering problems

OK, I tried bleeding system and still its hard to turn wheel. When We changed the control valve cylinder and hoses we also changed the steering box. Now that was a month ago and I still have the same problem. Since then we've replaced the steering box thinking it was no good. Result was the same. Then we replaced the control valve. Result was the same. Still hard to turn like we don't have power steering. When I drive the car and make a turn (right or left) the steering wheel doesn't recenter itself. so now I have to turn wheel to right or left and turn it back straight. My mechanic and I are at a loss. please help.
Jim
Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

You mention nothing about the pump how do you know you have sufficient pressure from the pump?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by MelWff
You mention nothing about the pump how do you know you have sufficient pressure from the pump?
I was going to suggest that as well. Might need a pump rebuild or replacement. The system does have fluid in it correct? Maybe someone forgot to refill it.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Jumbaliaman
Intermediate

The pump is fine. It was working before I started this project. He also has one laying around we replace it with just to rule out the pump. And yes it has fluid in it. I'm at a loss
Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

The valve has to be adjusted after it's installed. There's a nyloc adjustment nut under the end cap.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has it been aligned since the work was done? I have heard that these cars have difficulty achieving the castor specs as they get older. Mine does not self-center as strongly as it did with the worn out rubber bushings. I also replaced the PSCV and adjusted it as directed.

I am very interested in hearing what the issue turns out to be.

John

Get notified of new replies

To 71 power steering problem

Quick Reply: 71 power steering problem