C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mirror shakes in sport mirror housing 81 vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM
mokey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mirror shakes in sport mirror housing 81 vette

My son and I recently purchased and 81 vette and we are going to have lots of questions on how to work out some of the bugs.

The mirror on the drivers side shakes badly inside the sport mirror housing. The car has electric mirrors. Is there a way to get inside the mirror and tighten it up? If so, how do we do this?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it is just the mirror glass that is loose, not the entire upper part of the housing?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM
mokey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amorget
So it is just the mirror glass that is loose, not the entire upper part of the housing?
Yes, the glass is loose. If you wiggle it, you can tell the motor and all behind it is still attached to it
Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Amorget
Pro

The motor is attached to the mounting post using 3 torx style screws. Those may be loose. If you carefully remove the glass/backing plate you can easy access the screws to tighten them (it just pulls off). Be very careful not to break anything as replacement parts aren't re-popped and used parts are expensive.

I have my power mirrors in pieces if you need pictures.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM
mokey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amorget
The motor is attached to the mounting post using 3 torx style screws. Those may be loose. If you carefully remove the glass/backing plate you can easy access the screws to tighten them (it just pulls off). Be very careful not to break anything as replacement parts aren't re-popped and used parts are expensive.

I have my power mirrors in pieces if you need pictures.
Would you please send photos of the mirror assembly peices. My email address is mokeypoole@yahoo.com

ALso, how do you get the glass out? Does the mirror need to come off the door by removing the door panel or can they be removed while on the car.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Amorget
Pro

The glass comes off with the backing by just pulling it off. In the picture you can see the metal cross bar that it clips onto. The adjuster screws just pull out. It make it easier put the mirror in the all the way down and all the way out position.

Picture of the mirror motor with mirror removed:

Old 06-27-2014, 12:26 PM
mokey
Intermediate

so, I pulled this off and it was not the problem. Does that mean the door panel has to come off and the whole assembly come apart to tighten it up?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Amorget
Pro

So what it loose?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 PM
mokey
Intermediate

the whole mirror assembly shakes badly inside of the housing. Motor and everything that is attached to it shakes.

I assume it must all tighten up from the inside.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Amorget
Pro

Yeah, the same bolts that hold the arm to the housing also hold the assembly inside of the housing. Door panel has to come off and the mirror removed. I ended up removing my windows to get it out. People say it can be done without, but I didn't find a way.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

After getting the door panel off. Make sure you have a long reach magnet and a long extension for a 1/4 drive socket set to make the job easier.
I can't stress enough, don't break anything! I had someone steal my front plate on my mirror and it cost me $250 for a broken mirror to get the parts to fix mine! Whoever stole it new exactly what they were doing!

Get notified of new replies

To mirror shakes in sport mirror housing 81 vette

Quick Reply: mirror shakes in sport mirror housing 81 vette