C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:24 PM
czardali
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauges

I recently had my local shop rebuild my motor and install a new transmission in my 80 vette . The shop had to install a new temperature gauge bringing the total external gauges to two: the oil pressure and temperature gauge. Within days, my battery light came on an I sent the car back to the shop. The shop couldn't find the short so they outsourced the job and found the issue. I now have an external battery gauge along with the others and no way of knowing how much gas I have since that gauge is now broken too. The electrician stated that wire behind the gauge was fried and blowing three fuses. The shop is currently looking for a gas sending unit. I need assistance breaking free from all the external gauges. I want all my gauges to work on one cluster. Do I need a new gauge cluster? Do i need to buy a new circuit board for the cluster? Who do I send my car too to have these units installed?

Thanks fellas.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by czardali
I recently had my local shop rebuild my motor and install a new transmission in my 80 vette . The shop had to install a new temperature gauge bringing the total external gauges to two: the oil pressure and temperature gauge. Within days, my battery light came on an I sent the car back to the shop. The shop couldn't find the short so they outsourced the job and found the issue. I now have an external battery gauge along with the others and no way of knowing how much gas I have since that gauge is now broken too. The electrician stated that wire behind the gauge was fried and blowing three fuses. The shop is currently looking for a gas sending unit. I need assistance breaking free from all the external gauges. I want all my gauges to work on one cluster. Do I need a new gauge cluster? Do i need to buy a new circuit board for the cluster? Who do I send my car too to have these units installed?

Thanks fellas.
Battery light coming on would tell me to check your ALTERNATOR.

AS for the fired wire....I do not know how to respond because I am honestly worried a bit on who is working on your Corvette. And I would need to know what wire got burnt in the connector that attaches to your gauge cluster. Location in the connector and COLOR are needed.

I also do not believe that you need a sending unit. It can be checked to verify that is is good or bad...but that all depends if the people working on your Corvette know what they are doing in that area.

The printed circuit board is a possibility...but it depends if it is burnt or not.

What are the 3 fuses that were blown????

DUB
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The printed circuit is a fragile piece that can't take to much abuse but if you have wiring issues in the harness outside of the gauge cluster that must be fixed first. Your mechanic should be able to check everything at the plug that goes into the back of the cluster if he has a wiring diagram.
If that checks out, buy a new printed circuit .
Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 PM
czardali
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the shop was able to get the gas gauge to work. i'll be working on getting my gauges work after i get my window regulator..etc. thanks fellas

Get notified of new replies

To Gauges

Quick Reply: Gauges