C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 intermittent wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:28 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default 1980 intermittent wipers

The delay setting for my wipers does not work. I have replaced the switch and the wiper motor itself and I do have low and high speed wipers. I have read that if the relay switch/relay failed the wipers would not work at all. Is this a problem with the old cover that I had to put on the new wiper motor or is the relay itself failing or failed? How can I test it?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilcox has got great info!

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...nstruction.pdf

After looking through this, I plan to do this very thing to mine ... Everything works as it should, but when I use the intermittent wipers I get a start /stop hitch through its range of travel... Gets annoying when they stop for a sec right in your field of view... Looks straight forward...

Sorry , didn't see you already replaced the switch ... Do you still have the old one to clean and retest?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
The delay setting for my wipers does not work. I have replaced the switch and the wiper motor itself and I do have low and high speed wipers. I have read that if the relay switch/relay failed the wipers would not work at all. Is this a problem with the old cover that I had to put on the new wiper motor or is the relay itself failing or failed? How can I test it?
Sounds like the intermittent module is at fault. Have you checked to see if it has been bypassed?
On my 79, I installed 2 jumper cables to bypass the relay so I only had fast and slow speeds.
I've bought a new module for my 81 but haven't got around to fitting it yet.

Iirc, the problem with the original module was that on intermittent speed it sent full electrical current through some of the components which simply gave up.
Good luck getting it sorted.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:22 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Casey... I posted in your other thread some info to help figure out the issue with your wiper motor..

More info that comes to mind.. The wiper cover has a timing lever on it too.. but this just tells the box where the wipers are at.

If you bypass the controller, you'll know if this is the issue or not.. and probably the best way.. I do know there have been issue with the repro delay modules and at one point we were going to make them but the vendor got the issues fixed, then had more so I don't know where Im at on this... I even thought about asking the vendor is he wanted us to make the controller card..

I'm not sure if you saw that post or not but here is a copy.

Casey-

I would start by testing the motor to see if it works properly.

1973-1982 Wiper Motor Testing.

Then if the motor runs, I'd take a hard look at the wiper controller (located under the rear compartment). This module is available in reproduction but you may just want to by-pass it. I have the connector for doing this on our site and it would solve the mystery before you spent money on the module.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=28228

And for testing the switch (you remove it by taking out the speedo/tach housing).
Corvette Speedometer and Tach Housing Removal Instructions 1978-1982

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-27-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 intermittent wipers

Quick Reply: 1980 intermittent wipers