C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Brands Hatch Paint Match

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:40 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 1971 Brands Hatch Paint Match

My 71 is going to paint soon, it looks like I will be using DuPont two stage with the original Brands Hatch Green color code. Has anyone sprayed this paint and does it represent the original BHG color?

Thanks, Kevin
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

What is the DuPont color code you are considering?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

I'm just doing research, should be about a month before the paint goes on. I was assuming DuPont would only have one number for Brands Hatch Green. I was also wondering about the metal flake, would there only one option for metal flake in this color? How would I know if the metal flake is correct?

I've never seen this car with paint on it and never seen a BHG Vette in person so I'm kinda shooting in the dark. I'm also assuming with a standard clear coat the sheen will be glossier than the factory lacquer.

Kevin
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to mention something. I have the brands hatch green on my car. It's still original, but needs to be re-painted. My buddy owns a body shop and showed something exactly the same. It's called Clover Green Pearl and made by Honda. I have been using the touch up version and it is spot on. The flake is awsome as well in it. Just thought I would share.
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

These are the old acrylic lacquer codes. http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/

Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
These are the old acrylic lacquer codes. http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/

One of our guys here in UK has just picked up a really nice '71 in BHG - beautiful colour and a bit lighter than some of the other greens from about that time.
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2014, 01:57 PM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Look for auto body supply house in your area that sells Dupont. Stop in with BHG paint code and have them look up formula in computer. I am not sure about the older colors but alot of the newer ones have different variations on the same paint code. Body shops use variation paint chips to obtain closet match daily. I have seen newer paint codes with 7 different variations to the same color and code.

It is not uncommon to have a slight variation in color from one paint manufacturer to another. For example, I was told by a Vette restoration shop that they only use Sikkens paint when spraying Ontario Orange. They claim that it matches factory paint work as far as color.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

This is the kind of info I was looking for.....I want it in a two stage but still color correct for 1971 BHG. This is even harder for me because I don't really know what it supposed to look like.

I guess I'll take a shot in the dark and use the manufactures mix. Paint "color" is tricky because the color is really a property of the light you are under, not the paint itself.

Kevin
Old 06-20-2014, 04:47 PM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grumman41
This is the kind of info I was looking for.....I want it in a two stage but still color correct for 1971 BHG. This is even harder for me because I don't really know what it supposed to look like.

I guess I'll take a shot in the dark and use the manufactures mix. Paint "color" is tricky because the color is really a property of the light you are under, not the paint itself.

Kevin
When you refer to manufacturers mix I think you are refering to walking in a Dupont dist. and buying BHG off the shelf factory packed.
If so, that is not the case. The dist. will mix the paint on site as per the formula just as a body shop would if equiped with a paint mixing machine. That is why it is important to buy extra paint on an overall and mix it all together, then use what you need and save the rest in a cool dry enviroment. Human error is at play when mixing paint. A little extra of one tint can throw the color off.

Why don't you buy a quart and shoot a test panel and compare it to one of CF members cars. Maybe someone has a BHG Vette in your area. If your going to Carlisle in August bring it with you. You will sure find BHG cars on display.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:54 PM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Also contact member ALLC34ME. He restored a 71 BHG in the last year or two. His name is David.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Good info, thanks.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS164
Look for auto body supply house in your area that sells Dupont. Stop in with BHG paint code and have them look up formula in computer. I am not sure about the older colors but alot of the newer ones have different variations on the same paint code. Body shops use variation paint chips to obtain closet match daily. I have seen newer paint codes with 7 different variations to the same color and code.

It is not uncommon to have a slight variation in color from one paint manufacturer to another. For example, I was told by a Vette restoration shop that they only use Sikkens paint when spraying Ontario Orange. They claim that it matches factory paint work as far as color.
Correct, the newer colors have alternate formulas to match any variances in paint colors from the factory. The older colors usually do not. Newer colors are usually used for collision repair, so match is important. Older colors are generally used for overall paint jobs, due to the age of the cars. Exact match is not as important in this case. A single stage lacquer compared to a base /clear will have a slightly different look anyway. I worked at a DuPont store and mixed up Ontario orange to paint my hood. My car is faded and checked, but I wanted the hood to match better than leaving it in gray primer. I compared the paint to the unfaded paint in the door jambs. It wasn't close enough for a repair, but for an overall paintjob no one would ever notice the difference. I used the paint scanner and got an acceptable match. I mix PPG and they don't have a formula for Ontario in base/clear. They give an alternate formula that was actually a GM color from the mid 70's. It matched about as well as the DuPont formula. Okay for an overall, not for a panel repair. I think the green will look great. Like mentioned above, get some mixed and spray a test panel and clear it. 4 to 6 ounces would be way plenty. The stuff is very expensive. I wouldn't buy any more than that just in case you don't like the color. Good luck with it.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

The problem with mixing 4-6 ounces is that just a miniscule error in the amount of any added tint color can throw the formula [and color hue] off by a significant amount. You might be better off mixing the amount you need to the best formula you can find. Then, shoot a small panel and compare it to an actual factory paint job. Minor adjustments can be made to the paint, if you plan it well....and if necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Brands Hatch Paint Match

Quick Reply: 1971 Brands Hatch Paint Match