C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Vette Exhaust System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 76 Vette Exhaust System Upgrade

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find an upgrade for the 76 Vette exhaust system thats legal in CA?

The previous owner of the car stripped the stock exhaust system out and built a true dual exhaust. This system is not legal in California and I want to register and drive it.

I understand I will be sacrificing HP when doing a back conversion so if anyone knows of an upgrade that includes a high flow CAT that would be great. All I see on Ecklers and similar websites are the stock replacements.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Many of the large vendors like corvette central will carry an exhaust system. Also rockauto.com
Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Just find a cheap stock system to install for emissions testing. Then unbolt it afterward.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revi
Just find a cheap stock system to install for emissions testing. Then unbolt it afterward.
I thought about this but it appears I also have to buy all the smog components for the engine: smog pump, air cleaner housing, w/air to exhaust pipe......

Which brings me to another question? Where's the list of items the SMOG tech will look for when doing the SMOG?? I could take it in and have someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Revi
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChromeVette
I thought about this but it appears I also have to buy all the smog components for the engine: smog pump, air cleaner housing, w/air to exhaust pipe......

Which brings me to another question? Where's the list of items the SMOG tech will look for when doing the SMOG?? I could take it in and have someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Jeff
If you need to buy all of the SMOG parts, this is going to get very expensive. How did the previous owner get it registered?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revi
If you need to buy all of the SMOG parts, this is going to get very expensive. How did the previous owner get it registered?
The previous owner was from out of state. Lots of parts removed for the mod. I was told
It may be cheaper to buy a new E-rod crate engine in the long run as its CA certified? Anybody familiar with these engines?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Those are pretty nice

The cats will need to be Ca certified cats. Magnaflow probably sells some that are reasonable.

They will look for the smog pump/rails w hose and check valve, thermostatic air cleaner egr valve.....dont know if your yr came wiht the charcoal canister or not. You can buy retrofit kits they arent that much $
Long as its hooked up you should be fine they dont care if its GM # matching bs.
Best thing to do is find the smog referee in your area (not a smog shop)bring the car to them they will tell you just what you need and can even locate the parts for you. They arent evil like everyone makes them out to be.

Yrs ago I had a K5 blazer that I stuck a cammed 454 in with long tubes. Yr after they got gonzo with the smog stuff. FIgured I was screwed with the BB. Went to the ref he was lenient with me.
Bought a retrofit kit from Pep Boys, meaning pump/bracket, hoses ck valve etc. Even let me keep the holley and headers, had a state inspectino sticker which was gold....rumpity cam stayed and all.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

[QUOTE=cuisinartvette;1587173478]Those are pretty nice

Cuisinartvette - You just made my day, which happens to be my birthday today. I'll go check out the referee near me and see what they say before I get the run around at a car shop for the component needed.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:25 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It'll be cheaper to do a ls1 conversion than to track down every part you need to make it smog legal. Jk but u need the original manifolds or some headers with the a.i.r line the a.i.r pump the thermostactic door on original air cleaner assembly. All the thermo switches. Make sure your vapor canister is connected. Make sure your tank has pressure. Egr. You have to have an eo number on carb or original the only aftermarket carb that works for our cars is 1400 edelbrock that I know of and California performer intake with Egr. That's the same mistake I made as I got a 76 and these cars are horrible drivers when all that smog stuff is connected and timing is at 6 degrees smh. And the 150hp. Oh and your engine needs to be running at 200 degrees. Cat has to be California with eo #. Magna flow has a universal one with correct eo # for exhaust u can just buy cat and make your y in front of cat and y after back to duals if you wanna call them that.. but as long as your car can pass the sniffer with little add ons here and there. You'll be good. Oh and since it's from out of state some components won't be as crucial as its a federal car and not California which has all the smog components to the max
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah what cuisinart said. And Don't smog it b4 you get it checked out you don't wanna be labeled a gross polluter. Then you'll have to do star smogs every year and still see have to see referee. If parts are discontinued or hard to find from there checklist they'll exempt it. Smogcheck.ca.gov
Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Revi
Drifting

You may want to consider buying a 1975 or older vette. They're exempt from emissions.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Vette Exhaust System Upgrade

Quick Reply: 76 Vette Exhaust System Upgrade