C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Corvette Fuel Pump Replacement Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Smith76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Corvette Fuel Pump Replacement Wiring Question

Searched multiple forums, but was unable to find the answer. In process of installing a new fuel pump into my 1982 corvette. Wanted to confirm the wiring. The new pump is the standard AC Delco EP386. It came with a connector with a black and grey wire.

The existing fuel pump has two black wires running to it. One black wire is soldered to the fuel housing unit, the other goes up to the electrical connector on the unit where it connects up with a brown/white wire on the outside.

I am thinking it should be wired as follows:
Black wire on pump to black wire that turns into brown/white wire
Grey wire on pump to black wire soldered to housing.

Just want to make sure I get this right as to prevent re-pulling it out and possibly damaging the pump.

Thank you in advance for the insight.

Last edited by Smith76; 06-11-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-11-2014, 11:50 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Wish I could help you out, I know some of the other 82 owners have done the wiring you are talking about. I don't think there is anything listed in our "sticky", but If you use the search button in the Tech section on 82 fuel pumps or such you may find your answer if another member doesn't respond first. I will also add that info to the "sticky" when found..............Tom
Old 06-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look on the existing pump where the wires connect. There should be a + and a - to show polarity (there was on mine anyway). The new pump should have the same markings. Match them up, that's what I did anyway. I also went with the 85 Vette TPI pump. I'm dropping my tank tomorrow and I will take a picture for you when I pull the pump to install into the new tank. I should be done before nightfall here on the east coast.

Last edited by Drawmain; 06-12-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Smith76
Intermediate

Neither the new or old pump have the polarity markings. That would make life real easy. Even the new AC Delco pump has no markings. The wiring instructions are very vague. Was hoping some installed this pump and ran into the same scenario.

Last edited by Smith76; 06-12-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: link not working.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Here is a photo of mine. The gray wire I soldered into the wire that goes to the capacitor. I hope this helps!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Smith76
Intermediate

Great post. Thank you. You are correct. Grey wire to capacitor, black wire to black wire soldered onto the housing/tubing. Installed mine this evening, runs great - no surge, hesitation, hunting, and much smoother idle.

Also, closely examined the new and old pump under the light. The new pump has a "-" molded into the white plastic on top. No "+" for terminal markings. The old pump had a very small "+ & -" molded into the plastic deep down near terminals.

Nonetheless, hope this helps someone in the future. Couple of items to add, make sure you order the housing to tank rubber gasket. Think it is an airtex TS3000. Lastly, pump came our fairly easy, but had to rotate the two tubes on the right hand side 90 degrees to face up towards back window.

The longest part of the job was when I dropped two of the tank screws down, one landed on the tank ledge and the other ended up on top of the plastic spare wheel cover. That was a pain finding them.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

I'm glad it helped you. I got my new tank installed today, that's a fun job to do alone! The old tank had a small split in the metal on the passenger rear side. The bladder inside had torn due to a previous owner changing out his pump and leaving the sock (with the metal connecting cap) in the tank. The cap slashed the bladder somewhere along the way. I pulled a little over 15 gallons out of the tank before I dropped it. There was another gallon and a half inside the bladder, it took forever to get that out! All is well now, no gas all over the tank and frame and no smell in the garage. I still have to re mount the spare and carrier but that's all that's left. I friend of mine with a truck hauled off the old tank. Note to all prospective Vette buyers, check inside your tank for Bubba's shortcuts!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Also I found the destroyed tank sticker. It was totally unreadable and disintegrated in my fingers. Almost had it, but not quite.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Corvette Fuel Pump Replacement Wiring Question

Quick Reply: 1982 Corvette Fuel Pump Replacement Wiring Question