C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat belt warning light switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Panhead59
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belt warning light switch

Installing a new seat belt warning switch in a 69. There are three "connections" on the new solid state switch. The only wire, a black one, goes on the end marked +. At least that's how it came apart. The middle connection (-) is just a mounting bolt/screw to ground. The one on the far left is marked "open" and had a small bracket screwed to it that would make contact with the switch when pushed in. Now that it is solid state, the switch works differently and does not use that "connection". So my question is, should I just leave that connection unhooked to anything or what? The new switch has a different way of working, so I'm thinking I shouldn't need that open connection for anything. I am just trying to not ruin a $30something switch by hooking it up incorrectly. Thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

How did the switch become "solid state"? That switch/light is just for a 'reminder' to put on the seat belts. When power is first applied to it (when the engine is started), the built-in relay gets 12vdc power and sends power to the bulb. When the button is pressed, that circuit is (momentarily) broken, so the relay drops and the light goes out...and stays out until the power is cut (engine OFF) and then restarted.

It's a very simple system. If that circuit now has some kind of solid-state circuitry, it just needs to do the same things. Apparently, it doesn't.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Panhead59
Racer

Thank you for the reply 7T1vette. I know how the system works. Yes, it is very simple. That was not my question. If you were to look at the old original parts that make this light work, and compare it to a new "board", you would be able to see the difference, and know to what I am referring . The new circuit board is different. Yes, it has the same function, but the components that make up the switch part are totally different. The mechanical mechanism ( the switch) that broke the circuit, has been updated. That original "open" side of the switch is where my question lies. I edited my first thread to avoid any confusion.

Last edited by Panhead59; 06-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Panhead59
Racer

OK. I hooked up the new circuit board for the seat belt warning light. I left the "open" terminal void of anything. Originally it was for a small bracket that broke the circuit when "opened". The light goes on as advertised, but the switch part of the puzzle is not turning it off. I know it has to do with the "open" terminal but the new switch doesn't use that connection. Any ideas from someone who has done this repair ? I ask it that way, because the part has changed. The switch is different.

Last edited by Panhead59; 06-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The switch installs and functions the same way as the original switch.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-08-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Panhead59
Racer

OK here's the deal with the new circuit board that controls the seat belt warning light. The switch part, of the control board has been updated. The switch does not install the same way as the old switch. For example, you no longer use the 3rd post or "open" terminal. It can be left unconnected to anything. That is the only change to installation. The "open" post (it's marked " open " on the circuit board) originally had a small bracket attached to it that was a contact point that would "break" the power when the button was pushed. You no longer use this small bracket. One "problem" I had was this new (don't know how long it's existed, new to me) switch design is, it was too short. Meaning that when I pushed the button, it was not making contact with the switch, thus not turning off the light. A simple yet effective solution was to merely install a few washers to the screw at the end of the button. This made the " push button" a bit longer. You may need to get a longer screw to do this, and be careful- it's only plastic and will break very easily. Hope this helps out the next guy/gal!!! Next job..... But they are running out!!! I'm getting bored!!!

Last edited by Panhead59; 06-08-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: addedtext
Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 PM
blitz10
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just installed the new circuit board in my 69. 1 wire hookup. I tested it with a 12 volt power supply and it functioned as it should. Don't know what was wrong with the old one, it looked fine, could have been as simple as the bulb. I took it apart before putting a new bulb in and trying it.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by blitz10
Just installed the new circuit board in my 69. 1 wire hookup. I tested it with a 12 volt power supply and it functioned as it should. Don't know what was wrong with the old one, it looked fine, could have been as simple as the bulb. I took it apart before putting a new bulb in and trying it.
Exactly .. the board was designed as a direct replacement.. I'm not sure why the OP had an issue with it unless his button was broken or something. You should not have to add anything to make this switch work,.. But, just in case, I'll pull on from the shelf tomorrow and install it in a dash bezel assembly to make sure there isn't an issue.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To seat belt warning light switch

Quick Reply: seat belt warning light switch