C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pace Car style front spoiler...will help cooling??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
When installing the new spoiler, do I leave the stock (small, black strip) spoiler on or do I remove it?
Yes, you re-use the old black spoiler but will have to modify if you are installing the one-piece fiberglass PC spoiler.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Well perhaps not a *****, or as elegant as the Pace Car Spoiler, but it does add an additional dimension to the front end of the rubber bumper cars...

Good luck... GUSTO
Nice pic Gusto, is that in Midland TX? Used to live there when the CAF was based there.
Your extension looks a lot nicer than my home made version.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If installing a 3 piece spoiler, then you must remove the original piece.

After installing an aluminum radiator, change of thermostat, and replacement of shroud seals, I did notice a difference after then installing a 3 piece pace car spoiler. The car ran cooler at high way speeds.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Well perhaps not a *****, or as elegant as the Pace Car Spoiler, but it does add an additional dimension to the front end of the rubber bumper cars...

Good luck... GUSTO
I think this is one of those "trick" pictures.....if you stare at it long enough, you'll start to notice there's a great, big airplane with a bunch of dudes standing in front of it in the background!

Scott
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

Default I like the black spoiler

Back in the late 70's GM offered a "Lower Radiator Extension" that could be added to the factory poly chin spoiler. It added about 2" to the bottom of the spoiler and was intended to draw additional air into these cars to assist in cooling, especially with A/C...

It is made of multi-ply "mud-flap" type material and comes with two metal reinforcing strips that sandwich the original spoiler between themselves and the extension. Smooth headed bolts go through all three pieces of material and have nuts on the backside. They were very inexpensive, easy to install and very durable and relatively inexpensive to boot.

GM offered them over the counter until about 10 years ago. I believe that LICS still carries them in their catalog. If you obtain a few strips of the material, it would not be difficult to fabricate one. Oh, and they do work to lower temps...

Good luck... GUSTO
I have the other type spoiler going to get rid of it, where did you get that one ,or where can I go thanks. whats lics stand for.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Nice pic Gusto, is that in Midland TX? Used to live there when the CAF was based there.
Your extension looks a lot nicer than my home made version.
The picture was taken after an air show in eastern North Carolina at the home of the MV-22 Osprey. Our Corvette Club was assisting with the clean-up and returning the field to operational status after the show. Some of the display aircraft were still present and taking publicity shots with support staff so I thought I would take a few shots of my own. The car is actually well away from the aircraft so I backed up to get it framed just so with the B-17 in the background. I think a few of them came out very well...

I first learned of the radiator extension about 1980 from a magazine article and bought one for my 1977 to add a bit more dimension to the front end. It added a lowered appearance to the front end without actually lowering the car and because of its flexibility was curb friendly, all for the princely sum of about $20! Later in 1988 when I bought the '73 in the picture it was one of the first things I added to it. The effect was the same and it had the added benefit of masking a slightly damaged spoiler.

LICS is Long Island Corvette Supply, http://www.licorvette.com/, a well established 63-67 Corvette parts source that enjoys a great reputation with many C2 aficionados. I believe that they carried it at one time, but can not now find it in their catalog. However I did find it in Willcox's catalog http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...=27465&osCsid=

It says that the retainers are not available, but they are simply two (one for each side, #6 in the pic) flat pieces of about 1" wide sheet metal painted black that act as reinforcements on the back side of the stock plastic spoiler (#3).

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

I'm getting the Vert back tomorrow....will send pics and test the cooling factor!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the plastic piece awhile ago cuz car would overheat and the small chin spoiler made a difference when I added the indy style one piece connected to the plastic and haven't had it go up over 200f on a hot day. And it looks cool.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:01 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

This is exactly what I have been looking for my project...thanks

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ica-kinda.html
Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by vstol
This is exactly what I have been looking for my project...thanks

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ica-kinda.html
I have one that was on my car that I will sell. You can see it here:

Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I have one that was on my car that I will sell. You can see it here:

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will slide and purchase it new. By the way the car and spoiler look great. Why do you want to remove it?
Kevin
Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will slide and purchase it new. By the way the car and spoiler look great. Why do you want to remove it?
Kevin
Thanks. I removed it because I wanted something different to help stabilize the car at higher speeds.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Thanks. I removed it because I wanted something different to help stabilize the car at higher speeds.

So that's your car with the spoiler. Very nice where did you get the spoiler and what did you cover it with? Also did you see a difference in the stability of your car?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

So that's your car with the spoiler. Very nice where did you get the spoiler and what did you cover it with? Also did you see a difference in the stability of your car?
Thanks again. The spoiler came from Ecklers, it is the Pace Car spoiler made for chrome bumper cars.

I covered it with 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl wrap, it is very realistic in both looks and feel.

I did notice a difference in stability at speeds above 120mph.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Not wanting to hi-jack but what does that spoiler (the new one you put on) look like where it meets the wheel well lip? Does it wrap around at all?
Thanks
M
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mooser
Not wanting to hi-jack but what does that spoiler (the new one you put on) look like where it meets the wheel well lip? Does it wrap around at all?
Thanks
M
It basically continues the line of the wheel opening. This is the best pic I have at the moment

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Hmmmmmm, that might be close to what I've been looking for

Thanks, if you get a chance to snap a pic of the back side where it goes up the edge of the well I'd appreciate it.
(Can't even seem to get out to Uxbridge as a passenger so far this year)

M

Get notified of new replies

To Pace Car style front spoiler...will help cooling??

Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The factory designed PC air dam does improve cooling, by increasing pressure on the face of the radiator while decreasing it below the car aft of the rad. However, not all PC style air dams are equal. The factory designed PC air dam, unlike at least some aftermarket ones, includes an integral isolator panel to keep air from leaking back beneath the car behind the dam and ahead of the radiator. With air dams that don't include the isolator, you must install an isolator such as the one illustrated in GUSTO14's previous post to avoid this being an issue.

As for other aerodynamic benefits, I don't have hard numbers to back up findings made by the sensitive instrument on which I sit, but the PC aero kit (front dam & rear spoiler) most definitely kills lift at higher speeds, and almost certainly produces downforce. Factory claims back in the day were of approximately 15% improvement to the drag coefficient w/PC aero kit vs w/o.

For those concerned with very high speeds, one fly in the ointment I've found with the factory PC air dam is that the center section requires some form of bracing to avoid the onset of rapid oscillations (yes, I mean flapping up and down) and/or folding under outright (BTDT). This problem is fairly obviously due to the factory's concern with damage from curb strikes, and thus the flexible material from which it's made. While a full-blown, extended splitter with struts may not be practical for everyone to consider, it might be possible to get by with a hidden backing panel of some sort, as long as it is sufficiently supported for the speeds in question. (For my needs, next stop is doing a genuine splitter.) Not sure what measures were taken on THE actual Indy Pace Car used in '78 for the 500, but they had to have done something to combat this very real problem...

Anyway, although the PC dam/spoiler package doesn't necessarily represent the pinnacle of C3 aero development, it is nevertheless a sound design, as long as those nearer the hardcore end of the scale respect the shortcomings of its execution. Oh, and Captain Obvious demands I advise that if you do happen to like traveling fast, you should always make certain that any front dam is offset by a sufficient amount of spoilage out back. It may be meaningless at a pedestrian pace, but I've had a rear wing fail at speed (on track), and believe me aero imbalance is NOT your friend. My $.02, which I hope covers something not already discussed to the OP's satisfaction.

TSW

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 07-29-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 509 rat
I have the other type spoiler going to get rid of it, where did you get that one ,or where can I go thanks. whats lics stand for.
This is where I got the idea as to what spoiler to get

http://lateral-g.net/2013-good-guys-...oss-final-run/
Old 10-16-2019, 03:34 PM
jano344
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you added this.....did you use any type of metal retainer across the back of the spoiler extension?

Quick Reply: Pace Car style front spoiler...will help cooling??