C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mappable ignition unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Mappable ignition unit

http://www.aldonamethyst.co.uk/
I'm quite interested in putting one of these in my car for the SB engine. I like the fact you can retain the original look and this unit would be quite easy to hide behind the RH dash panel. Thoughts opinions??
Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Interesting. I think that just running a real digital dizzy like the Crane Cams unit which with just a turn of the dial you can set your parameters.

The Crane was not out yet and I bought the MSD digital dizzy. MSD had some non car people on the design team. The unit has 100 choices. Well 90 of them nobody would use and the other 10 have 5 degree jumps. Like 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 They should have been 2 degree jumps. So the MSD is a poor product. The Crane is a good product with great matching coils and mutli spark units
Old 05-31-2014, 01:29 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Hi gkull, the Crane dizzy looks good but then I would have to convert my tach to electronic which I don't want to do. I see all of the other Crane options seem to still use the std centrifugal and vac advance which I don't want. Are there any other options other than the MSD dizzies?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:24 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Hi gkull, the Crane dizzy looks good but then I would have to convert my tach to electronic which I don't want to do. I see all of the other Crane options seem to still use the std centrifugal and vac advance which I don't want. Are there any other options other than the MSD dizzies?
There is no market for mech tack dizzies that I know of. I just rebuilt a 68 427 and I installed a pertronics points eliminator kit. Really simple. I've used a crane adjustable vac advance in the past and of course messed with the springs and weights.

The best thing to do is limit the mechanical advance so for a motor that needs about 38 degrees. limit mech advance to about 20. your initial is them 18 degrees.

hook the vac advance to a ported port.

have your all advance in around 3000 rpm in a performance motor
Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

According to the dial back timing light I have 45 deg of advance with the vac disconnected. I'm thinking that the harmonic balancer has slipped because I should have detonation at that advance surely.
Vac advance is connected to manifold per Lars papers and is all in by 3000 rpm.
My reasoning is that if I fit the Amethyst unit it will enable me to tune the advance curve more accurately. The spring kits offered here are cr*p and using them I was getting over advancing at low revs and the engine did not like it at all. I have compromised and fitted a pair of std springs at present and have left it at that for the moment.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM
ssenay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ble_6AL-2.aspx

Similar to the one above?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ssenay72
Yes, thanks this one looks interesting but I can't see how it would simulate the extra advance the vac can offers for cruise light throttle operation. So it looks like the Amethyst unit has an edge here?

Get notified of new replies

To Mappable ignition unit

Quick Reply: Mappable ignition unit