C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 02:17 AM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors?

i've developed a habit of using the bottom of my shirt or jacket to open the door from the outside to avoid getting finger marks on the chrome handles. does anyone else do this?
Old 07-22-2002, 02:19 AM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (SizzleChest)

Sometimes - Only when working on her and my hands are dirty and I need to turn the engine over, etc.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:45 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (L48Shark)

Old 07-22-2002, 03:40 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

i've developed a habit of using the bottom of my shirt or jacket to open the door from the outside to avoid getting finger marks on the chrome handles. does anyone else do this?
Uh, we use the shirt tale to open the door, and then in the car is a towel that has been drapped over the steering wheel. You use the towel to flip the seat back, as it has been folded over. Then you use the towel to grab that metal seat buckle and strap yourself in. The the towel gets used to turn the ignition lock and start the car. After that you drive with the towel in your hand until the A/C gets going.......

Why ?

Because you live in Chandler Arizona, where it's 100+ in the shade, but you didn't park in the shade.
No -- that would have made sense.

Instead, you open the door to that plastic blast furnace using your shirt, because the chrome door handle is the same temp. as the surface of the sun !!
Then you grab that 110 degree towel and use it to flip your seat back. If you didn't remember to fold your seat forward, you now get to sit on a blazing hot seat that will burn the stitch marks into the back of your legs !

Then you use the towel to buckel your seat belt, remembering when you first moved down here and what happened before you put the towel in your car. You, the dumbarse, grabbed a white hot metal object that has been sitting in the sun with your bare hands and proceded to burn "GM" into your palm.

After cussing and swearing about that, you tried to start the car, but only managed to change your fingerprints from swirls to straight lines. Where did those come from? From that bright metal lock cylinder you were trying to turn with your bare thumb and forefinger.

Now that the branding is done you can grab ahold of that damn hot steering wheel with you now 3rd degree burned hand and try and drive your stupid **** to a state where you can't boil water in your car by parking it in the sun!!!

But we don't worry about finger marks on the chrome. Most of us lost our finger prints the first summer we lived here.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:42 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Put me up for sometimes. I know when my hands are dirty.
Funny thing is, I can drive my thing for two weeks, and get absolutely no fingerprints on it whatsoever.
Almost ANY time I let someone else ride in my car, the passenger side door is smudge city.
:mad
-Steve
Old 07-22-2002, 03:43 AM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (BSeery)

Uh, we use the shirt tale to open the door, and then in the car is a towel that has been drapped over the steering wheel. You use the towel to flip the seat back, as it has been folded over. Then you use the towel to grab that metal seat buckle and strap yourself in. The the towel gets used to turn the ignition lock and start the car. After that you drive with the towel in your hand until the A/C gets going.......

Why ?

Because you live in Chandler Arizona, where it's 100+ in the shade, but you didn't park in the shade.

Instead, you open the door to that plastic blast furnace using your shirt, because the chrome door handle is the same temp. as the surface of the sun !!
Then you grab that 110 degree towel and use it to flip your seat back. If you didn't remember to fold your seat forward, you now get to sit on a blazing hot seat that will burn the stitch marks into the back of your legs !

Then you use the towel to buckel your seat belt, remembering when you first moved down here and what happened before you put the towel in your car. You, the dumbarse, grabbed a white hot metal object that has been sitting in the sun with your bare hands and proceded to burn "GM" into your palm.

After cussing and swearing about that, you tried to start the car, but only managed to change your fingerprints from swirls to straight lines. Where did those come from? From that bright metal lock cylinder you were trying to turn with your bare thumb and forefinger.

Now that the branding is done you can grab ahold of that damn hot steering wheel with you now 3rd degree burned hand and try and drive your stupid **** to a state where you can't boil water in your car by parking it in the sun!!!

But we don't worry about finger marks on the chrome. Most of us lost our finger prints the first summer we lived here.
wuss.

:jester
Old 07-22-2002, 03:51 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I'm with Bryan on this one. I don't care about putting finger marks on the chrome, the car is outside and it's going to get stuff on it. It litterally burns you to open your door out here and that'd be the only reason I use my shirt, towel.

:cheers:
Old 07-22-2002, 06:38 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ok call me sad... If the car is cleaned up, particularly if we're going to a "show" of some sort, I'll use a handkercheif to open the door, and probably to close it. I also always use a handkercheif, or the cloth I'm cleaning the car with to push the bonnet (hood to you guys!) down closed (no, I never drop it for the last 6 inches!)

In my younger years I worked with a couple of chaps who'd spent 30 odd years at James Young, the Rolls Royce coachbuilding company. They ingrained into me that I, or anyone else for that matter, has no need to touch car paintwork with bare hands... Always, always use a soft cloth of some sort if you need to touch the paint, and if there is a handle for anything, use it.

And, I use a towel on the floor to keep the mats clean........ :bb
Old 07-22-2002, 08:42 AM
73ragtop
Instructor

I have a converible that is kept in a garage, but the top is always down. I simply lean over into the car and open it from the inside.

Eddie
Old 07-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: NOW THATS FUNNY!! Did ya ever consider wearing "GLOVES" :jester :jester :jester

[Modified by Silvr77, 7:17 AM 7/22/2002]
Old 07-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (Silvr77)

Good idea. I have fingerless gloves I wear in the summer from time to time when the wheel gets hot, just so my palm can contact that. Works with the shifter too. I'd wear gloves w/ fingers, but they seem to impede my hand motion. Gloves help a lot, though!
-Steve
Old 07-22-2002, 10:38 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Sadly, I to use a shirt or towel to open my doors, must times. Unless I'm cruzin' with 'da boys.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Yes but not to avoid finger prints. I do it to keep from burning my fingers. That chrome can get HOT in the Texas sun.

tom...
Old 07-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Bohot
Pro

Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (Tom73)

Yes but not to avoid finger prints. I do it to keep from burning my fingers. That chrome can get HOT in the Texas sun.

tom...
Ditto to that... :yesnod:
Old 07-22-2002, 10:59 AM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (Bohot)

I don't unless I'm getting in/out of it at a show, but then i use a towel or something...not my shirt :nonod:
Old 07-22-2002, 11:11 AM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Why ?

But we don't worry about finger marks on the chrome. Most of us lost our finger prints the first summer we lived here. wuss.

:jester
lol you live in CANADA! Don't call us Texas boys wusses, you'd die down here ;P :jester
Old 07-22-2002, 12:30 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

bseery, :lol: :lol: :lol: ! i feel your pain! las vegas isn't any better. plus i have a dark blue interior so i know what your talking about. there have been times when i knew i was going somewhere so i took a wet cloth out to wipe down the seat before i sat down in it :bs
seriously, the trade off is: we can drive our cars year round. summers just require a little personal protective proceedures before getting in the car! :lol:
(what's really sad is that for those of us who live out here, that applies to ANY bare metal. don't dare work on your car outside of the garage in the summer: you put down that wrench for a minute and it's 150*+ when you pick it up. i have litterally blistered my hand doing that but only once)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors?

Old 07-22-2002, 12:30 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just started using my underwear. :jester
Old 07-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors? (67HEAVEN)

I've just started using my underwear.
may as well use them for something, right :jester :jester

Old 07-22-2002, 01:03 PM
Doug2500
Instructor

Remote staters built into the remote controlled alarm system can get the A/C working a couple minutes before you open the doors. Just have to remember to leave the A/C controls switched on when you leave the Vette parked.

Quick Reply: Anyone else use their shirts to open their doors?