C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-tops alternative for an 82; Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 PM
onezulu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-tops alternative for an 82; Your thoughts?

Does anyone have feedback on one piece T-Tops as the one pictured? For a 1982. The manufacturer claims the following:

Patented one piece engineered for a custom fit replacement right over the "T" bar of your Corvette, eliminating center gap air and water leaks. Lightweight (only 17 lbs.) and stores neatly behind the seats when not in use.

1. No modification or painting
2. Newly designed anti-theft fastening system
3. 10% more viewing area
4. Custom molded, high performance, cast acrylic
5. The top has had a successful history of being manufactured for 30 years!" $399

Your thoughts???
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

They've been around for a long time. There's a few reviews on the forum... I'm in the camp of not being willing to put out $400 to try them out.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got it, came with the car, and like it a lot! My factory Fiberglass T-Tops are mal-adjusted and allow water to creep in... This top only allows a drop or two when in a monsoon and traveling 80-85mph... Perhaps it too needs a little adjustment... Overall, it's easy to take on / off... The mounting mechanism perhaps could have been a little more ingenuitive.. But overall, I'm happy with mine... Especially since it came with the car.

It does tend to acquire some new scratches that inexplicably match the color of my interior trim... Weird... Still haven't tried to buff those out... But will need to do something soon. Lol
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 AM
onezulu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FireballXL5
I've got it, came with the car, and like it a lot! My factory Fiberglass T-Tops are mal-adjusted and allow water to creep in... This top only allows a drop or two when in a monsoon and traveling 80-85mph... Perhaps it too needs a little adjustment... Overall, it's easy to take on / off... The mounting mechanism perhaps could have been a little more ingenuitive.. But overall, I'm happy with mine... Especially since it came with the car.

It does tend to acquire some new scratches that inexplicably match the color of my interior trim... Weird... Still haven't tried to buff those out... But will need to do something soon. Lol
A few remaining questions: What color is yours on the inside; gray? And how well does it handle the sun's heat? Any warping? V
Old 05-23-2014, 01:09 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

My interior is blue...

I don't notice any warping so to speak... It does have some 'flex' to it... I can tell that it 'dimples' down right where it connects into the T-Top holes... But that's just me trying to keep the fit snug.

It's awesome being able to see through it... I'm 6'3"... And sometimes I need to look up/through the moon roof to watch the changing of the signal lights if I'm the first one there..
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My interior is blue...

I don't notice any warping so to speak... It does have some 'flex' to it... I can tell that it 'dimples' down right where it connects into the T-Top holes... But that's just me trying to keep the fit snug.

It's awesome being able to see through it... I'm 6'3"... And sometimes I need to look up/through the moon roof to watch the changing of the signal lights if I'm the first one there..
I'm 6'2, torso tall... I hear you on that.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have one also, I got it cheap though. It looks great but fits like crap where the windows seal up at the top. I may try some new weatherstrips on day, maybe some factory style strips on the sides. I like it thouh. Takes a lot longer to get on and of compared to t tops thogh
Old 05-24-2014, 01:20 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

I'm thinking that I need to adjust my power window 'stops' cause the passenger side will stay on the outside of the moonroof unless I close the door by pushing the window... Or just lower it a tiny bit before passengers get in/out...

My seal at the windows is surprisingly tight... But the moonroof and weatherstripping on it look brand new...

I'd say that removing the hardware, and sliding it into the rear compartment take the same amount of time as popping off the T-tops and getting them into their bags and strapping them down... All in all the time difference is a wash...

I do however REALLY like my acrylic wind jammer! Looks like a bug shield that screws into the t-top pillars... Pushes all the air up/over the cab when driving with the tops off... Very happy with that thing!
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Astro Top on my 81 and like it. Got it on E Bay for like $150 V/S a Grand for a T Top that got broke on the drivers side. Like mentioned above the sides don't keep water out I took it through a touchless car wash and I got a wash as well. Overall was impressed with it
Old 05-24-2014, 01:19 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

You wash your car in a touch less automated wash!?! Lol. Braver man than me!

I only see a little precipitation in the cab when driving 85 mph in a monsoon... Otherwise, it's all good for my situation... I'm running my moonroof more than anything else on my car ..
Old 05-24-2014, 01:33 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i had one on another corvette and liked it. i may get one for this one too. i am 6' 4" and i have the factory glass tops,like you said i look up through the top to see traffic lights at times. the only issue i see with it is storing it when its off takes up a lot of space.
on another note i had a heat reflective clear film put on the windshield and glass tops it worked so well i did all the windows in my SUV.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Looks great, I think that's even better looking than my factory glass tops but I don't think I'll be changing unless I develop some leaks or something.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM
tv5150
Advanced

Default One Piece Top

I had one on my 1st Vette back in 79-80 and I really liked it a lot and I'm thinking of getting another as my 82 only has solid painted tops.
Back in the day, I don't remember ever having any trouble with leaking, but maybe cause my Vette was only 3 years old at the time and the weather-stripping was still like new.
I give it a big thumbs UP
Old 05-30-2014, 02:24 PM
tv5150
Advanced

I'm thinking that I need to adjust my power window 'stops' cause the passenger side will stay on the outside of the moonroof unless I close the door by pushing the window... Or just lower it a tiny bit before passengers get in/out...

My seal at the windows is surprisingly tight... But the moonroof and weatherstripping on it look brand new...

I'd say that removing the hardware, and sliding it into the rear compartment take the same amount of time as popping off the T-tops and getting them into their bags and strapping them down... All in all the time difference is a wash...

I do however REALLY like my acrylic wind jammer! Looks like a bug shield that screws into the t-top pillars... Pushes all the air up/over the cab when driving with the tops off... Very happy with that thing!
Here's a "windjammer" on eBay with the best price I've found
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C3-Corvette-Windjammer-1968-82-Bronze-Dupont-Acrylic-/251123192514?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item3a781bd2c2&vxp=mtr
Old 05-30-2014, 02:59 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

I'm gonna pull the tops off today and put the jammer on... 70 and sunny today for my work commute! ;-)

Think I found mine for a good deal from another c3 owner, that's when I picked up my cragar rear window louvers($300), bra($75), jammer($100), and cup holders($25).. Lol.

The front bra however doesn't fit my year... So... Someday it'll find a new home...

Last edited by FireballXL5; 05-30-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Camivette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Thompson and find out if they will be a vendor at a car show near you. $50 less show specials.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 PM
bschuus
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an astro top. It's a great alternative to spending the big bucks on t tops. Small water leaks at top corners like everyone else. Tends to creak a little going in and out of driveway.

Get notified of new replies

To T-tops alternative for an 82; Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: T-tops alternative for an 82; Your thoughts?