C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 CFI with aftermaket cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 82 CFI with aftermaket cam?

I have a Renegade intake that I'm ready to install but as you know one thing leads to another so I have decided to replace the heads with Edelbrock aluminum along with the cam. I have decided to go with Comp's XFI series and it's between the 252 and the 260XFI H13. They both claim excellent for Crossfires so has any 82 owners use either one of these cams??
Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
rmm82
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I installed the Comp Cam's XE249H with Trick Flow® Super 23® 175 Cylinder Heads TFS-30300002, Regegade Intake Manifold and Magnaflow hi-fo Catalytic (I live in California). Also installed 3.73 gears. What a difference!!!!

I tried both the COMP Cams 1.5 and 1.6 Rocker Arms and I'm not sure which I like best. The 1.6 moved the power curve to the top end whereas the 1.5 keeps it mid range.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you get the cam/intake swap done and it runs bad, you can always find someone that can recalibrate the PROM so the ECM can handle the added parts.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmm82
I installed the Comp Cam's XE249H with Trick Flow® Super 23® 175 Cylinder Heads TFS-30300002, Regegade Intake Manifold and Magnaflow hi-fo Catalytic (I live in California). Also installed 3.73 gears. What a difference!!!!

I tried both the COMP Cams 1.5 and 1.6 Rocker Arms and I'm not sure which I like best. The 1.6 moved the power curve to the top end whereas the 1.5 keeps it mid range.
No computer issues? I think the XFI 249 is very close to factory specs though. I would like to swap out the gears to at least 3.55 but looks pretty hard.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
rmm82
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

No computer issues at all. Just install the new stuff, set timing to factory specs, adjust the throttle bodies (including the TPS) and enjoy. With the combination I have, you'll now burn rubber in 1st and 2nd gear. NICE!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

At 050 the XE249H is only a little more aggressive than the stock cam. I suspect that it makes up for it with ramp rate as most aftermarket cams do. It has about 0.030" more lift on each lobe vs the stock cam (at least the 84 cam I looked up)

The XE is a flat tappet, the XFIs are rollers.

Since you're doing heads, I'd probably do the XFI260. I think you'll be happy with the torque on any of them. The 700R4 has a low first gear to get you rolling and once you're rolling you'll be golden!

I'm putting the XFI268 in my engine that's being built right now, but it's carbureted. I probably won't get to drive it til the end of June, though, waiting for a number of parts to come in.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:47 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

I did not realize the XFI are rollers, I spoke with a Comp Cam tech today and he did not mention that. You can swap a flat tappet cam for a roller as long as you have roller lifters right? So them I'd just get the cam kit. I thought roller cams were expensive and for the cam and lifter kit from Summit it was only $199.97 that's why I figured it was a flat tappet. So is that right or not?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

there's more than just the lifters. you need a cam button and possibly a stronger timing cover. then you have to adjust cam endplay. there's a little more to it than just throwing in cam in lifters unfortunately. I've been debating going roller or stay with flat tappet. I'm not really sure roller is worth it in a computer car, because you can only go so big anyways.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by qwank
there's more than just the lifters. you need a cam button and possibly a stronger timing cover. then you have to adjust cam endplay. there's a little more to it than just throwing in cam in lifters unfortunately. I've been debating going roller or stay with flat tappet. I'm not really sure roller is worth it in a computer car, because you can only go so big anyways.
Hey thanks for the info, yea to me it's not worth it but would still like the 260 cam though. I'll have to find out what kit that is.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
At 050 the XE249H is only a little more aggressive than the stock cam. I suspect that it makes up for it with ramp rate as most aftermarket cams do. It has about 0.030" more lift on each lobe vs the stock cam (at least the 84 cam I looked up)

The XE is a flat tappet, the XFIs are rollers.

Since you're doing heads, I'd probably do the XFI260. I think you'll be happy with the torque on any of them. The 700R4 has a low first gear to get you rolling and once you're rolling you'll be golden!

I'm putting the XFI268 in my engine that's being built right now, but it's carbureted. I probably won't get to drive it til the end of June, though, waiting for a number of parts to come in.
I just went back to check that cam on Comp Cams web site and the 260XFI-H13 shows it to be a flat tappet cam. Cam # 12-365-4. Now I'm cornfused.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Comp sells the XFI cams in flat tappet and roller. The part number you gave is for the flat tappet version. I've been kicking around the idea of doing just what you are proposing, but I can't shake the LS bug either, so I'm waiting to see which side wins out. I'll be watching your progress to see how it works out for you and factor that into my final decision.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Drawmain
Comp sells the XFI cams in flat tappet and roller. The part number you gave is for the flat tappet version. I've been kicking around the idea of doing just what you are proposing, but I can't shake the LS bug either, so I'm waiting to see which side wins out. I'll be watching your progress to see how it works out for you and factor that into my final decision.
Yes I would love to have the LS swap too but for two reasons I don't . One is the cost factory and the car would be down awhile, while it's be retrofitted and two it would take away the originality of an 82. What I'm doing you won't be able to tell except seeing the aluminum heads which I like the look of anyway. The LS away would make those cars run like a bat out of hell though. That's not what I'm after, I just want something decent running and after swapping out the gears in the back should make for a decent runner. And still look factory.

I have ordered my parts but the cam won't ship till June 3rd, no big deal that gives me time for the removal and at least I can install the heads.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
I just went back to check that cam on Comp Cams web site and the 260XFI-H13 shows it to be a flat tappet cam. Cam # 12-365-4. Now I'm cornfused.
You're right, I'm right, and I was incorrect for correcting you. D'oh!

There are XFI variants in factory roller, retro-fit roller and hydraulic flat tappet.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Are you doing a total rebuild or just the cam and heads? If I decide to go the same route you are going I think I will do a total rebuild of the engine. Either way I'm looking at a bit of downtime. A third option is a crate engine (long block) and adding a Renegade and a cam. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-25-2014, 07:05 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Are you doing a total rebuild or just the cam and heads? If I decide to go the same route you are going I think I will do a total rebuild of the engine. Either way I'm looking at a bit of downtime. A third option is a crate engine (long block) and adding a Renegade and a cam. Decisions, decisions...
Yes indeed decisions. I'm not doing a rebuild, doesn't need it and I bet I only put less than 2000 miles a year on it. I'll wait and see what the pistons look like but no just the heads and cam along with the Renegade. I already had the Renegade on once and holy crap what a difference just that alone.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alconk
Yes indeed decisions. I'm not doing a rebuild, doesn't need it and I bet I only put less than 2000 miles a year on it. I'll wait and see what the pistons look like but no just the heads and cam along with the Renegade. I already had the Renegade on once and holy crap what a difference just that alone.
I thought the RENEGADE was damn near impossible to get ahold of. Has things with the Company changed that much over the last few years?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:22 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by scorpion18z
I thought the RENEGADE was damn near impossible to get ahold of. Has things with the Company changed that much over the last few years?
Yea they are in business. They have a new company making them called Eddie Motorsports in Calif. They sell out quickly so you need to watch he DCS website.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 CFI with aftermaket cam?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Just finally installed a Comp Cam and in the paperwork they reconmend using break-in oil. I have never done that before so what do you guys think? I was just gong to pour in 10W30 Castrol and start er up. I do however have all the lobes fully lubed with the supplied red stuff.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Al, get some GM EOS or some other break-in additive before you start up. It will greatly reduce the chances of a wiped lobe.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Al, get some GM EOS or some other break-in additive before you start up. It will greatly reduce the chances of a wiped lobe.
What is "EOS" and is it something you add to the regular oil? Can you get it anywhere else other than the dealer?

Quick Reply: 82 CFI with aftermaket cam?