C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 CFI with aftermaket cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok question I need to up the idle RPM it's too low and will die. Is that normal for the tbs to change like that after upgrades? And I see in the back of the rear tb there is what looks like the idle adjustment. That's the one to turn in right?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 PM
rmm82
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Think you'll want to read this:

http://www.thecubestudio.com/Crossfi...yBalancing.htm
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmm82
Thank you that worked!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Well I went for my first drive since I started the project and boy did it ever feel great. But I have a issue, as soon as I give it much gas it pops through the tb. My timing is right on 6 deg. and maybe wondering if the valves are still too tight. Could it do that if they are too tight?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:01 PM
rmm82
Instructor

Assuming you followed all the procedures to adjust the TB's, I'm afraid that if you installed the 260 cam that you were discussing earlier, I think you are exceeding the capability of the stock ECM and factory mapping. If that's the case, you should be thinking about upgrading the ECM and obtaining a custom map. Again, I'm not a machanic by trade, so I can't speak first hand about this. But given all my research and specially the advise from DCS, I think this could be the problem.

Last edited by rmm82; 07-17-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: grammer fix
Old 07-17-2014, 11:57 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Assuming you followed all the procedures to adjust the TB's, I'm afraid that if you installed the 260 cam that you were discussing earlier, I think you are exceeding the capability of the stock ECM and factory mapping. If that's the case, you should be thinking about upgrading the ECM and obtaining a custom map. Again, I'm not a machanic by trade, so I can't speak first hand about this. But given all my research and specially the advise from DCS, I think this could be the problem.
Oh boy, actually DCS were the ones who suggested that cam and said I'd be at the threshold but should be fine. I'll have to give them a call again. So could you explain why is it doing that though, I mean so I can get a better perspective what it's doing.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

I just checked DCS website and looks to me that something might be going on. If it's not "out of stock" is temporary unavailable??? Who else can do a custom ECM??
Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 AM
rmm82
Instructor

I hope you're right. It's been a couple years since I made my changes, so perhaps I don't remember the DCS conversations all that well. I know I was concerned about exceeding the stock ECM capabilities and knew that if I did, I'd have even bigger problems with all the limitations California places on us. So I really tried to keep conservative.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

So what do you think about the valves being too tight theory? I have them set 1/2 turn past lash...
Old 07-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked up the specs on the cam you went with. Duration at .050 is 216 and that is a little past the limit for the computer on the crossfire in my opinion, others may disagree. I went with the Lunati Voodoo 256/262 which has a duration at .050 of 213. They are very close. If you continue to have issues you have a couple of options. Call Hypertech and see if they can do a custom chip for you. Or look into the EBL Flash system. I think the cost will be about the same for either option. If you can get ahold of DCS they may have some tricks for you to try. My motor is going to the machine shop tomorrow, so it will be some time before I get it back and put together.

If you want to test the valves too tight theory pull the valve covers and use something to keep the oil from flowing over the valve cover rails (cardboard works) and adjust the valves with the engine running. Slowly back off on the nuts until you hear tapping, then slowly re tighten until the tapping stops, then add a quarter turn. Some say a half turn, I'll leave that to your discretion. Did you have any issues with breaking in the cam?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Drawmain
I looked up the specs on the cam you went with. Duration at .050 is 216 and that is a little past the limit for the computer on the crossfire in my opinion, others may disagree. I went with the Lunati Voodoo 256/262 which has a duration at .050 of 213. They are very close. If you continue to have issues you have a couple of options. Call Hypertech and see if they can do a custom chip for you. Or look into the EBL Flash system. I think the cost will be about the same for either option. If you can get ahold of DCS they may have some tricks for you to try. My motor is going to the machine shop tomorrow, so it will be some time before I get it back and put together.

If you want to test the valves too tight theory pull the valve covers and use something to keep the oil from flowing over the valve cover rails (cardboard works) and adjust the valves with the engine running. Slowly back off on the nuts until you hear tapping, then slowly re tighten until the tapping stops, then add a quarter turn. Some say a half turn, I'll leave that to your discretion. Did you have any issues with breaking in the cam?
Well today I loosened the valves by 1/4 turn and took it for a drive. No popping whats so ever so I thought lets give it some throttle. She runs!! It's a totally different car. It does have some slight surging probably from the cam and can hear a slight lope, mild by all means but you can hear it.

Breaking in the cam went well once I turned the distributor 180 deg. but ran it around 1500-2500 for about 20 minutes. Let it cool down and did it again. I will say I'm very happy that I did what I did. I will deal with the computer very soon. I have new 2" tb to install yet but running the stock ones until I was able to fine tune the car. I have called DSC to find out about the Ham board but no answers?? The car pulls hard to 5500 and could not imagine what it would be like if I had lets say a 3.55 gear in the back. That is next. I still am running the stock manifolds but bought a used set and modified them. Removed the air tubes and did some internal porting. I would rather have a set of long tubes but would have to take it somewhere to have the exhaust modified to match up and don't trust the shops around me plus it would have to be driven there open header.

Was also able to give attention elsewhere in the car during this project for example with the electric headlight conversion. Had to remove the motors so when removing and installing the hood there was no chance of damage, anyway I have never really been happy cause the operation was choppy opening and closing. Well it turned out to extend the rod length by turning them out. Man what a difference just that made. They are now nice and smooth going up and down.

Now I just need to load my pictures for you guys so you can see how it went.

Last edited by alconk; 07-18-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

That is great to hear, Al I'm glad you have it mostly worked out, let me know when you hear back from DCS on the HAM board, I'm either doing that or hacking up my harness to solder in the connectors from the 7747 ECM (I'd rather do a HAM board). I'm thinking I'll want some ability to tune once I get my motor done. Let me know if I can help with the pictures.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 PM
rmm82
Instructor

Great to hear everything worked out. Have you encountered any CEL yet? Keep us posted. I'd love to install the bigger cam, but still have to deal with CA emissions.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Great to hear everything worked out. Have you encountered any CEL yet? Keep us posted. I'd love to install the bigger cam, but still have to deal with CA emissions.
No CEL and it does work, it came on when I unplugged the brown wire to time it. Yea CA is very strict on what you can do.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Well here goes some pictures hopefully.http://s929.photobucket.com/user/alc...gine%20removal
Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Well that didn't work I was trying to attach the pics directly to here?? Hmm..
Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Use the img tags on Photobucket. For example:

That is before the engine pull? Your engine bay is way cleaner than mine, lol

Get notified of new replies

To 82 CFI with aftermaket cam?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Use the img tags on Photobucket. For example:

That is before the engine pull? Your engine bay is way cleaner than mine, lol
Yep before the pull. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

That is great to hear, Al I'm glad you have it mostly worked out, let me know when you hear back from DCS on the HAM board, I'm either doing that or hacking up my harness to solder in the connectors from the 7747 ECM (I'd rather do a HAM board). I'm thinking I'll want some ability to tune once I get my motor done. Let me know if I can help with the pictures.
Well I just spoke with Jim from DCS and they are out of business. That's too bad cause I thought they were really on to something.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Well that sucks. It looks like the Renegade will be produced by Eddie Motorsports, so it will still be available. I would have loved to get a HAM board though.

Last edited by Drawmain; 07-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 82 CFI with aftermaket cam?