C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knock At Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine Knock At Idle

Hi All - rebuilt my engine and broke in the cam last week. Noticed this week that there is a constant knocking noise (7 seconds into video). At first, I thought it was my exhaust banging on the frame since it seems to only be on one side, but it is coming from the engine bay. Any ideas? There is also a high pitch click noise (30 seconds in) that I believe is valve train. Any help would be appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/95975498
https://vimeo.com/96229784
Password is knock

Last edited by Jartanyon; 05-23-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Check to make sure the balancer is installed properly. Mine went out and I thought the power steering pump was making a noise until I removed the belts and saw that the balancer could be moved by hand. It was wobbling on the crank snout and the key had broken. Not hard to fix but it could have been a disaster.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do your heads still have pressed in rocker studs?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:56 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

how long was the motor broken in for ,, what kind of parts did you use on the top end , and what kind of oil did you use thanks
did you reset the valves after you broke it in

Last edited by forman; 05-20-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

It's not unusual to have to run through valve lash again after break-in.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:23 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

It's kind of hard to hear anything odd on that video. I noticed you have an auto transmission....check all the converter bolts
Old 05-20-2014, 10:24 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

it is when your lifters were not primed properly ,, stupid stuff happens
Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

@CaseyJones - Never thought about the balancer. I will check that today.
@Indiancreek - No press in studs. The new heads are AFR heads. Here are the new major parts:
- 180cc AFR Alum. Heads
- Summit Stage 1 Intake
- Comp Xtreme Energy 262/270 cam kit with lifters, chain, springs, etc.
- Comp Magnum Rocker Kit with High Energy Rods

@forman - I broke it in per Comps instructions. Parts are above. I used VR1 20/50 for break-in with Comp additive. I did not reset the valves after break in. I was planning my attack on how to do that with the engine running after I reinstall the dampers back into the springs. I don't think that is the knock, though, too low pitch. Lifters were primed when lash was set. We actually adjusted them individually instead of working across from each other.

@REELAV8R - Again, I think the sound is too low for that. I am going to readjust them, though. Any ideas on how to do that with the engine running? Drilled out valve cover? Lifter plugs?

@sstocker31 - I will try and see if I can get a better sound byte of it. Good idea on the TC bolts - I was reading some other threads where that was the problem.

Last edited by Jartanyon; 05-21-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

*UPDATE*

Here is a newer version of the video (Photobucket's compression sucks and it was hard to hear the noises). It's is slowed down 50% to hear the knocking better and an audio clip at the end of the video where I reduced the engine noise so you can really hear it:

https://vimeo.com/95975498

Last edited by Jartanyon; 05-21-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Did you use the old fuel pump pushrod and fuel pump or a new one? You can tell if it's a valve related knock or bearing/piston related by attaching a timing light to any plug wire. If the frequency or speed of the knock is the same as the timing light strobe, it's valve train related. If the knock is twice the speed, it's crank, rod, bearing, damper, flex plate related.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

if u wiped any lopes the rocker arms will be getting loose on those lobes.

pull 1 plug wire at a time to see if that kills the noise.

cardo0
Old 05-21-2014, 12:30 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Sorry I just can't her anything of concern on that video either.
Must be the difference in video vs being there.
I have never adjusted the valves with the engine running but if I were to do it I think I would use an old valve cover with top cut for access to the rocker nuts. It sounds messy no matter how you do it with the engine running.
I think it's Isky who advocates it strongly as the only good way to adjust hydraulic lifters though.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Did you use the old fuel pump pushrod and fuel pump or a new one? You can tell if it's a valve related knock or bearing/piston related by attaching a timing light to any plug wire. If the frequency or speed of the knock is the same as the timing light strobe, it's valve train related. If the knock is twice the speed, it's crank, rod, bearing, damper, flex plate related.
Nope. New fuel pump and new pushrod. Cool idea with the timing light - I am going to try that today!

@Cardo0 - I will try that too - thanks.

@REELAV8R - there is definitely something rubbing/knocking. It changes levels when walking around the car. I was going to cut out a valve cover to be able to do this while the car is running. Hopefully it is not too bad
Old 05-21-2014, 01:45 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Check the heatriser on the exhaust manifold to make sure it's not bouncing to the tune of the exhaust.

To be honest, I can't discern anything going on in the video. Way to much mechanical and exhaust noise for me to pick out anything.

Also, EVERYTHING has the potential to make noise. You need to use a mechanic's stethoscope, a steel rod, a plastic tube or something to narrow down from where the noise is coming. Everyone is just throwing stuff out there for you to check and without some idea where the noise is, everyone is just guessing.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check if the noise is more pronounced from the bottom or the top. Check with a hose to listen to where it's coming from.

At this moment it sounds like a piston is hitting a head or some kind of conrod noise.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

So, after a noise hunt and involving my neighbor who builds engines, he thinks it is just the exhaust noise. It is definitely noticeable from the tranny back through the exhaust. I have tried all advice given to no avail. I am starting to wonder if I am going crazy
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartanyon
So, after a noise hunt and involving my neighbor who builds engines, he thinks it is just the exhaust noise. It is definitely noticeable from the tranny back through the exhaust. I have tried all advice given to no avail. I am starting to wonder if I am going crazy
I couldn't view the video, "permission denied" but when I changed the top end on the l48 I had a knock on first start up, which wasn't noticed during the camshaft break in and it turned out to be the all thread in the water pump were the pulley mounts, I had it to far in and it was hitting the water pump housing in one spot. This next question sounds ementary, but after changing the top end and before starting did you change the oil? I've seen guys replace the intake manifold gaskets or head gaskets and have a knock afterwards from coolant getting in to the pan from the intake coolant ports. Like I said pretty elementary but it has happened. Good luck on your project! Blue

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Knock At Idle

Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Originally Posted by bluedawg
I couldn't view the video, "permission denied" but when I changed the top end on the l48 I had a knock on first start up, which wasn't noticed during the camshaft break in and it turned out to be the all thread in the water pump were the pulley mounts, I had it to far in and it was hitting the water pump housing in one spot. This next question sounds ementary, but after changing the top end and before starting did you change the oil? I've seen guys replace the intake manifold gaskets or head gaskets and have a knock afterwards from coolant getting in to the pan from the intake coolant ports. Like I said pretty elementary but it has happened. Good luck on your project! Blue
Hey Blue - try it now. Password: knock
Interesting - worth a look at the water pump. Thanks! The entire engine was rebuilt outside the car which means all new fluids.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I couldn't tell by the sound on the video, but by your actions with the camera I'm guessing an out of adjustment rocker. Pull the valve cover, UN plug the ignition and rotate the engine over bump by bump. If you don't see any thing obvious, use a cut up valve cover or the deflector clips and adjust while the engine is running, if it's a rocker it will be more evident then. Put 100 miles on it and then readjust the valves. I've no clue who made the lifters or what there preload is suppose to be, but I've had comp hydraulic lifters that took a little while to quite down.

Last edited by bluedawg; 05-23-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Ok, here is another clip where you can definitely hear it - I refuse to believe this is just my exhaust.

https://vimeo.com/96229784
Password is knock

Quick Reply: Engine Knock At Idle